Portuguese Players Playing Abroad - Thread No. 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Fc_Porto

Fc_Porto Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Dont know whats worse meireles's play or aveiretards posts

2. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm going to limit my own actual words in this response right hurr'.

"It was later revealed by Pompey manager Harry Redknapp that if Fernandes were to make three consecutive appearances, it would trigger a clause in which Portsmouth were obligated to sign the player for £12m."

"2006→ Portsmouth (loan)10(0)
    2007→ Everton (loan)9(2)"

So in essense. #1: He didn't even play a full half season in England unless you opt to combine the two. Furthermore, during his first season he was limited by how many times he could start because of Portsmouth being a bunch of cheapskates. So fine, understandable. However, that doesn't help with the fact that he only managed 9 starts for an Everton team that didn't have that same restriction on their use.

I'll say it again. He is/was/will continue to be over-rated. He has 8 caps. Why waste more of our time? Because he's blitzkrieging mother f****ing Turkey? TURKEY!? How about we start calling up the kids playing in Romania and Cyprus while we're at it, after all they're doing amazing in those leagues. :rolleyes:

3. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know what's worse. Your attempt at an insult (which sucked, FYI), or Porto's little 'exhibition' today.

4. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm going to overlook Meireles' performance given the fact that all of Chelsea has been reduced to garbage.

I don't see why the hate on Paulo Machado. All I'm saying is, I'd rather give a shot to a player that hasn't had a chance. Agree to disagree on who those players are, but I just don't feel good bringing Manuel Fernandes into this team. His holding play isn't what we need, simple as that. Unless he wants to come as a #10, no thank you. I'll stick to that to my death. It is far more important to get players that fit into our system. Manuel doesn't.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Between Paulo Machado and Manuel Fernandes , I would pick the latter over the former. They're the same age, so they could be available for the WC as well. They both score about the same amount of goals from a similar playing position in the midfield, but in the NT, Fernandes scored one goal and has more games under his belt . He also has more experience in the international club competitions and different European leagues.

6. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica

You just don't appreciate the kind of player he is and what he's capable of, and, although I have a hard time understanding that, it's ok.

I back him up for a starting spot since he rose out of the U20's, and this request for him to be called up isn't due to what he's done in the Turkish league, but mainly for what he did in Spain, bossing Valencia's midfield, particularly against great opposition, in big games; another reason why he's a player for the finals, he's as fearless and unstarstruckable as anyone could be and doesn't let you down in important occasions. But that's just my perception.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He hasn't only done well in Turkey, hes done well in Spain, in England, and in Portugal.

8. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He at his best in Everton, just beasting it.

And while he was inconsistent at Valencia his best performances were always against Barcelona....I still remember the game where he just ran xavi and iniesta ragged.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  10. ukv510

ukv510 New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Maybe it's not my concern but he is doing very good in Besiktas... His corners and free-kicks are deadly... He's our best Portugese player...

11. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica

His crossing technique is one of his main assets.

Being Turkish and a Besiktas fan, it is your concern. Thank you for the input

12. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As soon as I saw "his crosses" I decided I'd avoid responding any further to any talk about Manuel Fernandes. Leave him in Turkey along with the other gold-diggers.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I only watched the NT 2nd half yesterday, but I gotta say his passing/ ball loss was atrocious. He did well as a defensive midfielder though, an apt Petit replacement. :)

14. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    It's clearly personal for Aveirenses, but atrocious?...

I wonder what you'd say about Meireles' display, then. It was a friendly that the players took it as they did. He came on at half time to a team playing down the clock with no movement whatsoever. He misplaced some passes in the middle of the pitch which had a high chance of failure precisely due to the fact everybody was practically standing still.

Anyway, just a thoroughly uncompetitive friendly, if you allow my pleonasm.

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'll bet that he had more missed passes than completed ones, that would qualify as atrocious in any book. I'll agree with you that the game was horribly played. Man of the match from what I watched was Rui Patricio.

16. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good day for our people today, Meireles with a rocket goal, Nelo in his Champions league debut scores, Benfica advance and Bruno Alves actually got some playing time.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All I got to say is NELO is sitting on the bench for nothing. Look, I like Rodrigo, but we need NELO to play more. The guy came in as a sub and scored. Rodrigo is really good, but when he is going to score when it counts.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Rauls shot was an absolute rocket. I love when this guy hits from range. His shooting has really developed. I remembered when he started featuring for Porto he would take them, but was usually off. Now your just waiting for a chance for him to get some space in range. Really like watching his development.

19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Raul always had a good shot, even in his Boavista days. With time it got better.

20. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I remember when he was with Porto, I couldn't for the life of me understand why anyone would like him, then Liverpool signed him and I was in shock.

Fast forward and now he is one of my favs, defensively he still needs work, but my god man can this man strike the ball, as if it owes him money.

Even from 40 yards out, when he has space I find myself yelling SHOOOOOT.

21. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Guys, before that one shot goes in or on the net he also shoots 20 of them 20 meters above or wide of the net. Yes he has a powerful shot but man does he ever miss a lot. When one does go in, then watch out, he is shooting from everywhere. :D

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Everyone misses alot. However you need people on your team that are a threat from range. It adds a complexity to the game and the opponents tactics. You have to press early and hard, this allows for the other individualistic players to do what they do best, take opponents one on one.

Thats the reason why I was such an advocate after Maniche was done, for Manuel Fernandes. We had no long distance threat on the team and we went though some serious growing pains. Everyone would just lay out and Ronaldo would get double teamed causing us even more problems.

With the development of Raul, it makes the opposition press up, keeps people honest. He is a really good player. Late bloomer.

23. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I never said that a threat from range was not an asset, Im disputing just how effective Raul is at doing that. Ive seen many attacks killed from him taking kicks from 35 yards out when he has support in the attack.

Dont get me wrong, I think he has become a very effective player for us on the defensive side moving forward. He has really come in to his own. He is a beast winning balls in the midfield.

24. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I believe without a doubt he has one of the most accurate shots from range, the odds are your going to miss, no matter who you are, but my confidence for him from far out is higher then any other current Portuguese player. Selfish he is not, when he's feeling it he looks to unload, sure, but Raul seems to always think pass first and when hes free why not let it rip, im glad he has that confidence.

25. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Paulo Jorge named Man of the Match again as APOEL beat Lyon and move to the Quarterfinal of the Champions League. He was Man of the Match in the first leg as well.

Solid Portuguese Central Defender that is always ignored by Bento because he's playing in Cyprus, but has been a Star in the Champions League all season.

Goal.com gives him a rating of 8...

Paulo Jorge

Was the star of the APOEL side in the first leg, and made countless vital clearances in this match too. Lyon rather played to his strengths, but he would not make a meaningful error all evening. Always seemed to be in the way of OL’s most dangerous movements.