Portuguese Descendance

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Aveirenses, Sep 5, 2005.

1. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    lol you know you like tripe admit it

2. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    not many idiots on our board :D

3. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    nice threat finally i see some good threats around here nice info, btw my last name is valemzy a variation of the spanish city valencia and i'm a sefardim jew so u can belive all that is said here, also gonzalez and perez are jewish last name weird isn't it??? cause those are the most comun names in latin america!!!! :cool:

4. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    My parents are both from Sao Miguel Acores, the same village in fact, called Santo Antonio, dos Capelas.

In any case, Sao Miguel was settled by the Belgiums, the French, the Jews, the Spanish, some Muslims, and Portuguese obviously. In any case, my grandmonther's last name [on my dad's side] was Viveiros. My grandfather's last name was Oliveira [on my dad's side]. Viveiros means gardner, and apparently, Oliveira, was a last name Jews adopted???

Now, my grandmother's name [on my mom's side] was Cordeiro-Miranda. My grandmother was from an area called Brittania - apparently a French colony of sorts. My grandfather [on my mom's side] is Sousa. He was the toughest guy in our village. I went to Sao Miguel and we bumped into some old guy...who walked with a cane, and he was telling me stories of my grandpa, saying he took on two guys one time.

In any case, my family, I do have to say, looks Spanish-Portuguese, but I wouldn't throw out French, or even Jewish. Lots of my ancestors apparently were cheap, ran their own businesses, and owned lots of land. If that means anything...maybe I'm part Jew. So my grandparents lastnames were Viveiros, Oliveira, Cordeiro-Miranda, and Sousa. Viveiros, Cordeiro-Miranda, Sousa - all sound Spanish/Portuguese. Oliveira could be Jewish..I dunno! My greatgrandparents on one side...were called Verissimo - once again Spanish origin, but who knows. Verissimo was one of the richest guys in the Island. He own lots and lots of land in Sao Miguel. In fact, he's well known by lots of people even to this day, for being rich, and eccentric.

5. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    jewish culture is rich in history I suggest more people read up on it, very interesting stuff. The seige of Masada being just one true story that should be read.

6. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    my families from terceira, the azores was one destination for jews during its early colonization. so true with the dutch/belgian influence there, look at the windmills and the colored houses not to mention some people in my family are pale with blond hair blue eyes. The azores is just one part of a rich portuguese history that should be looked up. ya its true im addicted to alme e gente haha that guys funy as hell :D

7. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Viveiros doesn't mean gardner. Gardner is jardineiro.

Viveiros is what Portuguese people call tanks that people use to bread their own fish, seefood and marine life.

My mother's maiden name is Oliveira a common adopted jew name. Maybe we are family :D

8. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    Are you from Sao Miguel or your parents?

Kinda funny, I moved to Alberta, and ran into this old guy, who'd been here for 35 years. He remembered my great grandfather when he was a boy. He said he was rich but he lost his money to a blonde Spanish dancer - which is true. What a small world.

9. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    my father just let me know that Da Costa is a name that draws its origins from Roman times in Italy and Hispania aka Spain and present day Portugal.

10. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Costa
    [​IMG]

Oliveira
    [​IMG]

11. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Antas (also Dantas, which results from De/Das+Antas and originates from the Douro region. So, yes, you are a tripeiro :D )

[​IMG]

Reis (it has religious origins, apparently. Like a tribute to the three kings who found Jesus. Probably that's where the star comes from I don't know...)

[​IMG]

12. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Sousa (I'm sure Brian must be relieved to see his coat of arms is red, just don't tell him where the name comes from... *whispering* It seems it's from somewhere north of the Douro river ;)
    [​IMG]

Cunha (my compliments to the old man... this coat of arms is beautiful. And notice how it says "chefe" on top. Can you believe that?!)

[​IMG]

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Ferreira toponymic name, possibly derived from one of the several towns called Ferreira or "Herrera" in Spain.

[​IMG]

Viveiros In the Genea site it says this name is a translation from the spanish "Biveros", and its Portuguese descendents originate either from Minho or Alentejo (Alenquer). There wasn't a coat of arms in the site either. But I googled this one for you anyway ;)

[​IMG]

14. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Silva Nice lion. PAUL SILVA & Chop will be embarrassed by this :p

[​IMG]

15. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    This are symbols of the origin families that held those names.

Alot of our ancestors could be emigrants from other countries that at the time of entering what we know as Portugal now, changed their names to common names. This was a very common practice.

16. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

yes man that is true my grandfather's brother did that he changed his name!!!

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah I bet I got some scandinavian in me since I'm freaking pure white and blonde. Well, when I was like 3 I was pure blonde, now it's like brown hair.

18. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i cant find my family's coat of arms in the net, but we have one in my house it haves the star of david and half shaped moon and is red and with the star and the moon in yellow, u know the colors of the spanish flag

19. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

jejejeje i used to be red headed but when i turned like 7 it turned black with red thingys :confused:

20. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    It was a very common practice. Alot of people even moving from area to area to escape prosecution would change names. Plus in the early days of Portugal the Counts (Condes e Senhorios) that owned land would have the commoners use his last name to identify them from others. It was used as branding.

History of Portugal is full of these stories.

For example my town Nazare was originily named Nazareth. We were a turkish settlement in the early stages of Portugal. My town was a "mouro" port, and now in our culture we still have a lot of muslim customs. The women where hair pieces to cover their hair, everybody is very dark skin and others that are slowly disapearing. My family moved to Nazare when my parents first got married so i am pretty light some of my friends back home are darker than Makelele. :D

21. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    same with me vic...when I was born I had blonde hair and light green eyes...over time I began to have reddish hair and light brown eyes...today I have light brown (turns a very light brown in the summer with the sun) and light brown eyes...weird huh? My brothers and mother all have black hair and dark eyes...my father however, has black hair, but hazel eyes that seems to change to a green shade in the sun...some of my cousins from my dad's side have dirty blonde hair and blue eyes...could be that same trend as yours however, I get pretty tanned in the summer, so I'm definitely not 'pure white' as you say

thanks for that coat of arms ferreira...I had seen it before, its 6 bones on a red shield

22. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My grandmother is from Porto and her last name is Da Rocha, is there one of those signs for Da Rocha?

23. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    You look polish.....for sure you must have some nordic background.

here is a pick of the traditional women of Nazare.

[​IMG]

24. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

Rocha ("da" is just a prefix)

Most authors think the name has french or belgium ancestry, probably linked to a nobleman called "De la Roche" who took part in the conquest of Silves to the Muslims (XIIIth century).

[​IMG]

25. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I used to get that a lot but now, most people think i look italian or something :confused: I think it's becasue Italy has tons of blonde Italians.