Portuguese Coaches Abroad ( Vol. 2 ) [r]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, May 4, 2012.

1. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #176 Sumol, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    2006 and 2010 were not the same teams. Entirely different. I don't know get how you can compare them. 2006 was arguably our best team ever and 2008/2010 were pretty much transition periods.

Carlos nearly beat us with The Persians. If they capitalized on that opportunity in added time, we wouldn't have gotten out of the group last year. If Carlos sucks, then why were we sweating bullets against Iran? It's not like we beat him, either. Carlos doesn't suck, he constantly overperforms with teams and that is why Columbia got him.

Plus, we never fired Carlos. He got in a fist fight with a staff member and we mutually parted ways.

[​IMG]

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I think we did a little better than you expected here.
    ;)

3. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know why he was predicting such an awful tournament for Columbia. Carlos was the best coach Iran ever had. Maybe he is just jealous he went to Columbia ;)

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #179 HomietheClown, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    So far he is doing what is expected of him by most of the fans and media. (And in some ways exceeding some expectations.)

The Knockouts are going to be brutal though.
    Possibly Uruguay and Chile (not necessarily in that order) and maybe the Host Brasil.
    If we want to lift up the Cup in July we are going to have to play lights out.
    No one can say we lucked our way to it if we beat those teams consecutively.
    And Queiroz would have earned his pay check in less than 4 months work.
    I hope and pray we find a way. We have the talent and now it seems like we may have the tactics.

5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tough quarter-final. Everyone got a pretty weak opponent except Columbia

I see it going to penalties.Rooting for you.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ironically I did not want it to go to penalties because I knew we would probably be eliminated.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, Chile are among the best at penalties.

Columbia got eliminated without conceding a single goal in the tournament. Why no extra time? I don't like the immidiate skills competition (penalties) after 90 minutes.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't like that rule either.

Not sure why, just the way the CONMEBOL wanted it set up.
    Maybe that will change next year with all the other format changes.

9. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hate to be that guy, especially because I hate grammar nazi's, but it's Colombia not Columbia. Felt compelled after seeing you misspell it several times.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

Nani_17 and SCP_16 repped this.
  11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

LOL

12. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In group stage, yes. Final outcome of the tournament, no.

13. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful? Did I predict group stage exit for Colombia? I predicted 4-7 points for Colombia in the group stage which was enough for them to advance to the next round. How is that awful? I did not predict good tournament for Colombia but not an awful one either.

When you lose in the second round of knockout stage tournaments, It does not matter whether you got more points in the group stage than other teams or not. Carlos Queiroz (CQ) is not the coach of knockout stage games or winning trophies.

No

I was very happy when It was confirmed that he will no longer be offered contract extension.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A Penalty shootout does not count as a loss, but that is semantics.We missed a penalty against the Defending Champs and were eliminated after not allowing a goal the whole tournament.

We shall see where Queiroz goes from here.
    Now he has a bunch of friendlies to experiment with his tactics and bring in younger players to end 2019.
    He will (according to some media) also be a part of the of U23 Olympic tournament in January and that will also be a place he will evaluate new talents and possible replacements for the old guard who will probably not be a part of 2022 assuming we qualify.
    All in all I think we are in the right direction. Just have to find ways to score some goals more consistently which is always easier said than done.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like what I saw for the most part during the match against Brasil in Miami.

Without James or Quintero to choose from Queiroz had us playing a bit more "European" .
    We had Muriel, Zapata and Roger Martinez with a trident striker attack with good counters and speedy direct plays.
    A stark contrast to our traditional style, with less emphasis on slow build up from a classic "# 10" that we are so used to since the Valderrama days.

Kind of impressed that we dominated Brasil for some stretches of the first half without James, Quintero and to a lesser extent Falcao.

Second half was all Brasil though and we played a bit too defensive for my taste but we got a decent result 2-2. I was expecting a loss so it does not phase me that we tied.

Tuesday will be very interesting. I am not sure how Queiroz will approach Venezuela who is much weaker than Brasil (obviously) but has always given us some problems with their physicality. Very tricky game.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For those wondering Queiroz played mostly the bench against Venezuela. We still dominated the match and the opportunities but it ended up 0-0.

17. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    Nuno Esprito Santo getting roughed up in two different back to back London derbies, losing 0-3 to both Crystal Palace and Chelsea

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And Lage getting exposed as a fraud too. No colinho to help you out outside of Portugal. ********in clown.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  19. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Lage and NES are both terrible
    Coaches.
    Portuguese coaches are overrated.

20. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    Andre Villas Boas is probably one of the more overrated ones too. The Mourinho connection, coming from a wealthy family background, and having "the TV/celeb look" all gave him a boost. But he's been losing relevance as his career moves along.

21. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    When you're a friend or client of Mendes you'll pretty much never go broke no matter how mediocre or incompetent you are.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  22. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    Nuno's Tottenham getting slaughtered in the North London derby vs Arsenal.

The fraud just keeps getting exposed.

23. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    Mourinho's Roma also getting pumped by Lazio in that derby

24. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Our coaches are crap and overrated.

SCP_16 repped this.
  25. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    They should just do what Jorge Jesus did and coach in a backwater league like in Brazil.

SCP_16 and The Zeta Variant repped this.