Portuguese Americans/Canadians who follow MLS [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NASLNUT

NASLNUT New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Canada

I will be getting seasons tickets. Its been a long time since pro soccer was in Toronto. Look forward to it.

2. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    I will be getting 3 season tickets, minimum 2. I am looking forward to the day professional soccer comes back to Toronto.

3. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
    I'm seriously considering it. I hope Toronto creates a club and not a franchise. There's enough interest to go around without marketing to the casual fan. I think if they continue to use the NA business model for a sports franchise it'll fail as it did with all prior attempts.

To be honest, I'm a little worried as to what having a pro team in TO will do to places like Montreal or Vancouver, etc. where they actually give a darn.

4. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Perhaps if we can get enough interest, we can split the tickets 4 ways or whatnot. I would be interested if I had someone or others to go to games with. With Tristan only 2 1/2 and me not knowing whether or not he'll be a soccer fan, I'm kinda weighing my options...

5. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    This may not be a bad option....getting 2 seats and splitting it 4 ways. We can then raffle the tickets amongst us.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    TV NEWS: 'Hours and hours of soccer'

From the Toronto Star:

How things have changed.

In one of the many great SCTV sketches from the '80s, unscrupulous station boss Guy Caballero tried to extort money from viewers during a pledge drive.

Give us money, he threatened, or we'll start showing soccer.

"Hours and hours of soccer," he cackled, anticipating the viewers' horror.

Well, 20 years later station bosses are airing hours and hours of soccer, not as a threat but as a lure to subscribers ...

Soccer around the clock, Chris Zelkovich (Toronto Star)
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...3&call_pageid=1044529386722&col=1044529386490

----------------------

7. NASLNUT

NASLNUT New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Canada
    Pretty cool. We just had Goal TV launch here in Canada, its great. Soccer 24/7 is great.

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    WWW.SOCCERAMERICA.COM

NEWSLETTER

. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"Steve hadn't coached in MLS before. It takes awhile to understand that it's a different game. To his credit, he adapted. Early on, he had a style that he wanted to impose. He kept a lot of what he wanted, but he also changed a lot. A lot of coaches don't do that."
    -- Forward Landon Donovan of 2005 MLS champion Los Angeles on his coach, Steve Sampson, whose job looked in serious jeopardy during the Galaxy's .500 regular-season campaign. (Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

"Our interest is in the future, starting an FC Barcelona team or obtaining a franchise in MLS. We are at the beginning of the process and phase of starting. ... I don't know time, date, where. We are only thinking about the possibility. I love the States."
    -- Barcelona president Joan Laporta, who attended the MLS Cup in Texas. (mlsnet.com)

"For the first 20 minutes they were by far the better side, they were first to the ball, their passing was sharp and they put us under a bit of pressure. But we started to play a bit after that and gain a bit of confidence."
    -- Scotland coach Walter Smith after is team's 1-1 tie at home with the USA on Saturday. (AFP)

2. WINNERS & LOSERS: Los Angeles takes MLS Cup with Pando goal

Winners:

The LOS ANGELES GALAXY, which finished the regular season in fourth place of the Wetsern Conference, is MLS champion thanks to a 1-0 overtime win over New England on a goal by late sub Guillermo "Pando" Ramirez, who saw only 30 minutes of action in the Galaxy's previous seven games. Ramirez had taken a team-high 62 shots in the regular-season but scored only once, on a penalty kick.

The USA's tie 1-1 against Scotland in Saturday's friendly gave several players who hadn't figured in the qualifying campaign to impress Coach Bruce Arena. Left back JONATHAN SPECTOR defended solidly and launched several forays down the flank. Also showing well enough to stay in the picture during World Cup preparations was defensive midfielder BRIAN CARROLL.

In the first-leg of playoffs for the final spots in World Cup 2006, SPAIN thumped Slovakia, 5-1. SWITZERLAND upset 2002 World Cup third-place team Turkey, the CZECHS eked out a 1-0 win over Norway. BAHRAIN picked up a 1-1 tied in Trinidad. URUGUAY managed only a 1-0 win over Australia in Montevideo.

Losers:

NEW ENGLAND's MLS Cup history now reads 233 minutes of play without scoring. The Revs, who fell, 1-0, to Los Angeles in overtime on Sunday, lost in similar fashion to Los Angeles in 2002, when it was another Guatemalan, Carlos Ruiz, whose goal in overtime - then sudden death - downed the Revs.

American defender OGUCHI ONYEWU of Standard Liege has been handed a four-game suspension by the Belgian federation for two red cards he received earlier this season.

World Cup favorite ARGENTINA fell, 3-2, to England in a friendly in Geneva despite leading 2-1 until the 88th minute, when Michael Owen scored the first of his two goals.

3. COLLEGE-MLS WINNERS: Sampson joins Schmid & Arena

The Galaxy's MLS Cup victory gives Coach Steve Sampson a championship during his first full season as coach of a pro club. Sampson, the USA's coach at the 1998 World Cup, replaced Sigi Schmid late last season.

Sampson guided Santa Clara to the 1989 Division I NCAA title, which the Broncos' shared with the University of Virginia, coached by Bruce Arena, who won two MLS titles with D.C. United after five titles with Virginia.

Schmid, who guided the Galaxy to the 2002 MLS title, won three NCAA titles at UCLA. That means all three coaches who entered MLS with NCAA Division I titles under their belts also succeeded in lifting the pro crown.

The late Tom Fitzgerald won an NCAA Division I title with UCLA after his stint at the helm of the Columbus Crew, which has not won an MLS title.

4. MAKING A LIST: MLS champions

MLS Cup history
    2005 Los Angeles 1 New England 0
    2004 D.C. United 3 Kansas City 2
    2003 San Jose 4 Chicago 2
    2002 Los Angeles 1 New England 0
    2001 San Jose 2 Los Angeles 1
    2000 Kansas City 1 Chicago 0
    1999 D.C. United 2 Los Angeles 0
    1998 Chicago 2 D.C. United 0
    1997 D.C. United 2 Colorado 1
    1996 D.C. United 3 Los Angeles 2

5. SCOTLAND-USA: Soccer America Report Card

The USA settled for a 1-1 tie in its friendly with Scotland in Glasgow on Saturday in its final game of 2005.

DaMarcus Beasley was taken down in the penalty area and Josh Wolff converted the penalty kick as the Americans took the lead in the ninth minute at Hampden Park.

But the Scots equalized in the 39th minute when Andy Webster's header off a free kick beat Kasey Keller on their only shot on goal.

Soccer America Report Card
    (1=low; 5=average; 10=high)
    STARTERS:
    Kasey Keller 4
    Steve Cherundolo 7
    Gregg Berhalter 6
    Carlos Bocanegra 6
    Jonathan Spector 6
    Eddie Gaven 3
    Brian Carroll 6
    Kerry Zavagnin 5
    DaMarcus Beasley 7
    Josh Wolff 6
    Brian Ching 3

SUBS:
    Ben Olsen 4
    Santino Quaranta 4
    Chris Rolfe 5
    Heath Pearce nr
    Jimmy Conrad nr

6. OFF THE POST: Man U locker room bugged

Manchester United is launching an investigation and may involve the police after discovering its locker room was bugged on the day of its 1-0 win over Chelsea by a "gang" that had planned to use the tapes of two hours of conversation for extortion.

The Sun tabloid, through a middle man, acquired the tapes, which included Manager Alex Ferguson's halftime advice -- clamp down on Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele, avoid John Terry -- the players' laughter while hearing Ferguson swear during a post-game TV interview, and the players' screaming abuse at the TV screen while Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was making postgame comments.

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    www.socceramerica.com newsletter

1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"At the recent MLS Board of Governors meeting in Frisco, Texas, the Anschutz Entertainment Group was granted approval by the Board to move the San Jose Earthquakes to a number of potential cities, including Houston, Texas. In order to ensure that the team will have the appropriate time to prepare for the 2006 season, a final decision on the location of the team will be reached within the next 30 days."
    -- Statement by MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

"The players are not allowed to shoot from outside the area -- that's because they miss most of the time. I am glad he ignored me on that one."
    -- Bolton coach Sam Allardyce forgives Kevin Nolan for breaking a team rule because his 25-yard shot gave Bolton a 1-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur. (BBC)

2. BY THE NUMBERS: The champion Galaxy

Teams that have done the double, winning the MLS title and the U.S. Open Cup in the same year: Los Angeles (2005), Chicago (1998), D.C. United 1996)

Number of the Galaxy's five goals in five MLS Cups scored by foreign players: Guillermo Ramirez (Guatemala, 2005), Carlos Ruiz (Guatemala, 2002), Luis Hernandez (Mexico, 2001), Eduardo Hurtado (Ecuador, 1996). American Chris Armas scored the Galaxy's other goal in its 3-2 loss to D.C. United in 1996.

MLS Cups in which Cobi Jones appeared with the Galaxy, including winning efforts in 2002 and 2005.

MLS record number of postseason goals scored by Landon Donovan. Four came this season for the Galaxy. Ten came while helping San Jose win titles in 2001 and 2003.

MLS record number of postseason games played by Cobi Jones.

Minutes of MLS soccer left back Todd Dunivant played in 2005 - every minute of every regular-season and postseason game.

3. MLS: Playoff Ratings Leaders

The following are the MLS playoff ratings leaders, based on the SOCCER AMERICA Report Cards of each game. (1=low; 5=average; 10=high)

1. Donovan Los Angeles) 7.25
    2. Cancela (New England) 6.67
    2. Mastroeni (Colorado) 6.67
    2. Guerrero (Chicago) 6.67
    2. Thiago (Chicago) 6.67
    6. Djorkaeff (MetroStars) 6.50
    7. Marsch (Chicago) 6.33
    7. Curtin (Chicago) 6.33
    9. Ihemelu (Los Angeles) 6.25
    10. Vagenas (Los Angeles) 6.00
    10. Marshall (Los Angeles) 6.00
    10. Parkhurst (New England) 6.00
    10. Rolfe (Chicago) 6.00
    10. Guevara (MetroStars) 6.00
    15. Hartman (Los Angeles) 5.75
    15. Reis (New England) 5.75
    17. Kirovski (Colorado) 5.67
    17. Cannon (Colorado) 5.67
    17. Cullen (Colorado) 5.67
    17. Brown (Chicago) 5.67
    17. Segares (Chicago) 5.67
    22. Nagamura (Los Angeles) 5.50
    22. Jones (Los Angeles) 5.50
    22. Albright (Los Angeles) 5.50
    22. Twellman (New England) 5.50
    22. Cunningham (Colorado) 5.50
    * Minimum of two games.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I almost post the wrong item on this thread, :D

11. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Yes it was.....By the way do you know how many titles Vitor Baia has won???

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    LA Galaxy as the MLS champion will begin play in the CONCACAF Champions Cup Feb22 at the Home Depot Stadium vs a team from Costa Rica, either Saprissa or Municipal. The Revs as runner-ups can participate as well and will face Alajuelense ,also from Costa Rica. The Revs will play the first game of the home and away series on Feb 22 in Costa Rica. Mar 8 is the scheduled date for the second leg.

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I read in another thread that threads w/ over 300 post such as this one is harder on the servers. If true, then its time to start a new one ( II ).

15. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, this one has run it's course - let's continue the discussion in this new thread...