Portuguese Americans/Canadians who follow MLS [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Re: Portuguese following the MLS[R] let's keep a eye on the american kids

tonight on fox soccer channel, 8pm live game

New England vs Metrostars

for more game
    www.majorleaguesoccer.com

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

Revs 3-1 Metro Stars.
    How's that for a prediction. :)
    Wait , that's the actual final score. :D

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

we gave it away :eek:
    leading 0-1, and Johnson only makes one sub, when the game was already away, I think he lost his job after -0-1

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

You may be right, even the narrators mentioned that.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

All in all ,it was a good game w/ excitement until the last whistle. I'm surprised Twellman didn't get at least one. Meola made the crucial mistake that ended in the Rev's second goal, but it wasn't because of him that the Metro Stars didn't take the series. The Revs deserved the final score based on what they produced in the last 20 minutes.

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

[​IMG]

Substitute Smith score the third goal for the Revs that ended the Metro Stars hope for an over-time when the game was still at a 2-2 match aggregate. He left the field on a guerney because of an injury on the 90th min.

7. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

Forca Revolution!

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

This might be the year for the Revs. :)

9. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

Third straight conference final. Let's hope they can get back to the MLS Cup and come away with a title!

10. marco goncalves

marco goncalves New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston
    Mls

I dont know how many of you guys follow Mls...I will be truthfull ,i dont,the league ,its format,its pay structure ,none of those appeal me....Anyhow i tought i would express my feelings towards the playoffs...How many Americans are actually following the MLS playoffs?And the reason why i ask ,is because the MLS commisioner and his associates ,know as much about running a soccer league as American Samoa performance on the pitch....If these morrons want to make soccer popular in this country ,why on earth would they schedule the playoffs during the World series....Why on earth do they insist on playing games in NFL stadiums ,why not play these games at smaller stadiums?(college for example)instead of packing 4k people into a stadium that holds 50k....The athmosphere in these games is as exciting as being in a funeral home....

To make matters worst ,these NFL stadiums that are being used for Mls games have more lines on the picth than a Geometry board...I was watching the Revolution game with my grandson today,and i couldnt even tell where the penalty box started or ended........My comment has nothing to do with the quality of the players (the quality is there)but in a organization and infrastructure point of view....I understand that there are some soccer only stadiums (Home Depot center and a few others)But if theres anyone making out like a bandit is the NFL commisioner ,hes getting his advertising for free in behalf of Mls by having his giant NFL logo in the middle of the picth during an MLS GAME......

One last thing ,the playoff formatshould be redone....I mean just about every team makes it into the playoffs.....And from i understand the attendance hit an old time low during this season....The way this league is going it wont be long before we have a NASL part 2.....

11. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998
    Re: Mls

Well I can tell you that many of the clubs will get there own stadiums The Metrostars, Fire, Rapids, and Real salt lake will all be getting there own stadiums and there will be a new team in toronto that will have its own stadium along with stadiums in Dallas, Columbus, and LA. When all these stadiums are up and running there will be more money going into the clubs. I also wouldn't worry about this league ending up like the NASL. Adidas signed a deal last year to be the league supplier for the next ten years at a cost of 150 million dollars. If you have any other questions feel free to just ask.

12. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal

I Hope MLS don't end like the NASL... I mean, there are good americans playing soccer... In Portugal, we dont follow that much the MLS, but I think that it's good for the sport if USA / Canada have their official leagues.

Just don't make the same mistakes as the NASL did before. ;)

13. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

There is a whole thread on Portuguese following the MLS - why does there have to be more than that, considering this is in the Portugal forum? Thread merged...

14. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

Don't judge the MLS because of the way the Revolution are run. They are the only team, I believe, that hasn't been asked by MLS to go in the Soccer Specific Stadium direction like all other teams. I agree with you that a big stadium like Gillette isn't good for the size of the crowds the Revolution draw. And the football lines drive me crazy as well.

But the MLS is slowly getting teams to build their own stadiums for soccer and that is a step in the right direction. Columbus, Los Angeles, Chivas USA, FC Dallas all have stadiums completed already. Colorado, Salt Lake, Chicago, and the Metrostars will have soccer specific stadiums on the way. Kansas City (the worse attendance of all) will most likely be moved to a city with a SSS at the ready. I don't know DC United or San Jose's situation.

These stadiums will lead to better crowds and a better atmosphere. And they will most definitely not have the NFL lines. The MLS needs time to grow. It's been only ten years. Give it another twenty years and see where they are at.

By the way, the MLS wants your grandson as a fan. These old timers that still love baseball are a lost cause. Do you go to games? Bring your grandson.

I was at MLS Cup 02 in Gillette Stadium. 60,000 plus in attendance. I'd love to see a day in MLS where crowds like that could regularly show up.

15. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA

[​IMG]
    That is what the field looked like a couple of hours before the game was played. Beautiful October weather in New England.

[​IMG]
    Look at Fat Tony closing his eyes as Khano Smith blasts home the series winner! It's okay Tony. There's a Dunkin Donuts down the street where you can wallow in doughnuts and vanilla coffee and forget your troubles.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I live in Western Mass and we had a beautiful day yesterday and even better today , sunny and up to 60F :)

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    my son leaves in North Adams Mass, around the Pitfield area

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

don't worry they won't, they just got get the new stadiums going, for the NASL was a total different league, the Cosmos with there money spend they just ran everybody out of business, most of the teams were made of old veterans, in today's standards they with last 5 minutes against the young americans, its no surprise the USA is rank #6th in the world, the attendances part, they were not the worse but they draw over 14,000 fans at game, looking at portuguese attendances 4,000 more per game, they are in the right track, should they invest more money on some big names? yes, but that's the next step

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Nice area . I go there once a year at least, I own a time-share in the Berkshires.

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    newsletter from www.socceramerica.com

Monday, Oct. 31, 2005

Mike Woitalla
    Executive Editor
    Soccer America Magazine
    With Paul Kennedy, Ridge Mahoney, Paul Gardner & Bryan Alvarez

1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
    2. WINNERS & LOSERS: Fire burns D.C. United; Cancela saves Revs
    3. FOCUS: A lesson from the Rapids
    4. FOR THE RECORD: MLS summaries, College, Soccer on TV

1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"Did Freddy do enough to remedy the situation. I would flip it and say, 'Did D.C. United do enough to remedy it?'"
    -- Richard Motzkin, agent of Freddy Adu, who played the second half of D.C. United's 4-0 loss to Chicago after being suspended for the first leg, reportedly for complaining about a lack of playing time and failing to apologize. (Washington Post)

"An agent doesn't run our team. And, frankly, his agent doesn't decide where he plays."
    -- D.C. United president Kevin Payne on reports that agent Richard Motzkin will discuss Freddy Adu's future with Adu's family and team officials. Payne said he "can't imagine" Adu playing for a different team next season. (USA Today)

"[Arsene] Wenger has a real problem with us and I think he is what you call in England a voyeur. He is someone who likes to watch other people. There are some guys who, when they are at home, have this big telescope to look into the homes of other people and see what is happening. Wenger must be one of them -- and it is a sickness."
    -- Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. (BBC)

2. WINNERS & LOSERS: Fire burns D.C. United; Cancela saves Revs

Winners:

A season after failing to reach the playoffs, Coach Dave Sarachan's CHICAGO FIRE has reached the semifinals thanks to an emphatic 4-0 win over D.C. United in which IVAN GUERRERO notched two goals, including curving left-footed 25-yard strike that befuddled D.C. keeper Nick Rimando. In the semifinal, Chicago faces NEW ENGLAND, which over came a 1-0 first-leg loss to the MetroStars and a 1-0 deficit in the second leg to win 3-2 on aggregate. JOSE CANCELA ignited the Revs' comeback when he came off the bench in the 62nd minute, scoring the Revs' first goal six minutes later and setting up the Pat Noonan for the second with a corner kick. Khano Smith struck the third goal.

STEVE SAMPSON, his job in jeopardy after a .500 regular-season record and fourth-place finish in the West, can breath easier after his Los Angeles Galaxy ousted San Jose, the league's top regular-season team. The Galaxy's 1-1 tie in San Jose gave it 4-2 aggregate win to earn a semifinal encounter with Colorado. The Rapids, playing 66 minutes with a man down, beat Dallas on penalty kicks after a 2-2 tie.

AC MILAN ended Juventus' perfect Italian Serie A run with a 3-1 win that gave Juve its first blemish after starting the season with nine straight wins. Juventus, which fell on goals by Clarence Seedorf, Kaka and Andrea Pirlo, maintains a two-point lead over AC Milan at the top of the standings.

Losers:

D.C. United playmaker CHRISTIAN GOMEZ's clever playmaking and appearance in the fan section earlier this season had turned him into one of league's most likable players. But he finished 2005 in disgrace when he was ejected for spitting at Chicago defender C.J. Brown with the score 3-0. A fine volley by Jesse Marsch gave Chicago a 4-0 win, ousting the defending champs.

After falling to Colorado on penalty kicks, FC DALLAS won't be a part of the MLS Cup its new Pizza Hut Park will host. New England, which lost MLS Cup 2002, 1-0, to Los Angeles, is the last team to have a home advantage in the final. The Galaxy failed to make it to Home Depot Center finals in 2003 and 2004.

Newly promoted Wigan Athletic downed Fulham, 1-0. Fulham's American defender Carlos Bocanegra started and played 89 minutes until suffering a muscle injury while Brian McBride came on for the final eight minutes. Goalkeeper Brad Friedel got shelled as his Blackburn went down, 4-2, to leader Chelsea. Defender Jonathan Spector got his second start of the season for Charlton, which fell, 1-0, to Bolton.

In Germany, Borussia M'Gladbach, with American Kasey Keller in goal, fell, 2-1, at Borussia Dortmund in front of 80,100 fans. It ended fifth-place Gladbach's five-game undefeated streak. Gregg Berhalter and Energie Cottbus got thumped, 4-1, by Freiburg but remain second in the German Second Division.

American defender OGUCHI ONYEWU, who has two red cards in 12 games, picked up his second yellow of the season in Standard Liege's 2-1 loss to Excelsior Mouscron. Standard still has a two-point lead at the top of the Belgian Juliper League standings.

In Norway, Aalesund, whose goalkeeper is former New England Rev Adin Brown fell, 3-0, to Viking and will drop to the Second Division next season.

3. FOCUS: A lesson from the Rapids

By Paul Gardner

The impressive thing ... the vastly impressive thing ... about Colorado's PK win over Dallas was the ordered, skillful, intelligent, and at times even attractive, way that the Rapids played with 10 men ... playing short-handed invariably means a team will pack their defense and, yes, Colorado did that ... it also means a team will indulge in time-wasting activities and, yes goalkeeper Joe Cannon was stupidly blatant about that ... but above all it usually means that a team loses its soccer brains, assuming that it has any, and starts whacking the ball aimlessly out of defense ... anywhere will do, just hit it hard and high ... so you can guarantee that one poor guy, the token guy they've left up front, will be galloping all over the field chasing long balls that he's never going to catch up with ... but you never know, that's the thinking, after all it means that the opponents have to keep at least two defenders, usually three, back and, supposedly, it eats up the clock ... Colorado played it differently and beautifully ... they chose to keep the ball on the ground, to keep playing it upfield with short and medium-range passing ... rarely did the Rapids look like a team that was playing with 10 men, at no point did they resort to the brainless, aimless long-ball nonsense ... ball possession makes opponents nervous, too, and it eats up the clock ... above all it maintains a realistic chance of scoring, and it keeps the players' attention concentrated where it should be: on playing soccer ... it would have been a lot easier for Leo Cullen and Terry Cooke and Mike Petke and the splendid Pablo Mastroeni and company to keep belting the ball away ... but they abjured that route, which meant that Jovan Kirovski, Jean Philippe Peguero and Jeff Cunningham were able to find passing partners, to pose a real threat to the Dallas defense ... Colorado kept trying to play soccer and for once the soccer gods, a pretty perverse crowd on the whole, smiled ... the Rapids, all of 'em, from coach Fernando Clavijo on upwards and downwards, deserve a lot of credit for the way they handled this one.

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    www.socceramerica.com
    newsletter

SOCCER AMERICA REPORT CARDS: MLS Quarterfinals, first leg

1. DC UNITED 0 CHICAGO 4
    (Chicago wins, 4-0, on aggregate.)

Oct. 30 in Washington, D.C.
    D.C. United 0 Chicago 4
    Goals: Stewart (Thiago) 10, Guerrero 37, Guerrero (Rolfe) 50+, Marsch (Guerrero, Thiago) 67.
    Yellow cards: D.C. United -- Olsen 21, Filomeno 7, Adu 80; Chicago -- Segares 52.
    Red card: D.C. United -- Gomez 55.
    Referee: Kevin Stott
    Att.: 20,089.

Even before Christian Gomez was red-carded for spitting at C.J. Brown, the Fire had wrapped this one up thanks to three first-half goals, including a pair of beauties from Ivan Guerrero. Two rookies played key rolls: Chris Rolfe with his tenacious forays into the heart of the D.C. attack and Jack Stewart with the early headed goal that exposed United's shaky backline. Veteran Jesse Marsch added a beautiful volley to finish off the defending champ.

REPORT CARD (1=low; 5=average; 10=high)

D.C. United -- 3 Rimando, 3 Namoff, nr Erpen (3 Boswell, 5), 4 Prideaux, 4 Quaranta ( 5 Adu, 46), 4 Carroll, 2 Gomez, 5 Olsen, 5 Kovalenko, 6 Moreno, 3 Walker (4 Filomeno, 46),

Chicago -- 6 Thornton, 7 Brown, 7 Curtin, 7 Segares, 7 Stewart (5 Sanneh, 74), 8 Thiago, 8 Marsch, 7 Pause, 9 Guerrero, 6 Jaqua (nr Herron, 79), 8 Rolfe (5 Barrett, 70),

2. NEW ENGLAND 3 METROSTARS 1.
    (New England wins, 3-2, on aggregate)

Oct. 29 in Foxboro, Mass.
    New England 3 MetroStars 1
    Goals: Cancela (Twellman) 68, Noonan (Cancela 1) 73, Smith (Dempsey 1) 83; Djorkaeff (Galvan Rey 1) 59.
    Yellow card: New England -- D. Hernandez 31.
    Referee: Brian Hall
    Att.: 9,581

A snow-strewn field, frigid rain, and a 2-0 deficit after Youri Djorkaeff scored didn't deter the Revs. Sub Jose Cancela provided the cutting edge that had been lacking and his corner stranded a flailing Tony Meola to provide Pat Noonan's headed equalizer. Khano Smith polished off a determined run up the right flank with a crisp shot for the winner.

New England -- 5 Reis, 6 Heaps, 5 Parkhurst, 4 Franchino (6 Riley, 65), 5 Ralston, 6 Dempsey, 4 D.Hernandez (8 Cancela, 62), 6 Joseph, NR Leonard (6 Smith, 23), 7 Twellman, 7 Noonan.

MetroStars -- 5 Meola, 4 J.Hernandez, 3 Mendes, 5 Agoos, 4 Gaven, 4 Bradley, 4 Guevara, 4 Lisi (NR Razov, 85), 4 Stammler, 6 Djorkaeff, 5 Galvan Rey.

3. DALLAS-COLORADO (2-2, Colorado, 5-4, on PKs)
    (aggregate score, 2-2; Colorado advances on PKs)

Oct. 29 in Dallas
    FC Dallas 2 Colorado 2
    Goals: Ruiz (Mina, Rhine) 67, Ruiz (Gbandi, Vanney) 105; Cunningham (Cooke, Nkong) 19, Kotschau (Cooke) 106.
    Yellow cards: Dallas -- Rhine 57, Valakari 63, Gbandi 92+. Colorado -- Mastroeni 48, Denton 68, Cannon 91+, Kirovski 92.
    Red card: Colorado -- Nkong 54.
    Referee: Terry Vaughn
    Att.: 10,104

Two strikers benched for most of the first leg hit the net: Jeff Cunningham opening the scoring for Colorado and Carlos Ruiz getting both Dallas goals. After Alain Nkong was ejected for throwing an elbow, the Rapids gave a lesson on coping with a man-down. Ruiz hit a penalty kick against the post in overtime. Colorado midfielder Ritchie Kotschau scored his first goal in more than two years to send the game to penalty kicks.

Dallas -- 4 Garlick, 3 Goodson, 4 Jolley, 5 Vanney, 6 Gbandi, 6 O'Brien, 4 Valakari, 6 Rhine (5 Pareja, 100), 3 Wilson (6 Mina, 46) 7 Nunez, 8 Ruiz.

Colorado -- 7 Cannon, 6 Cullen (6 Peguero, 101), 5 Petke, 5 Denton, 7 Cooke, 6 Beckerman, 8 Mastroeni, 5 Nkong, 5 Ben Dayan (7 Kotschau, 79), 7 Cunningham, 7 Kirovski.

4. SAN JOSE 1 LOS ANGELES 1
    (Los Angeles wins, 4-2 on aggregate)

Oct. 29 in San Jose, Calif.
    San Jose 1 Los Angeles 1.

Goals: Ching (Mullan) 42; Grabavoy 1 (Donovan, Vagenas) 67.
    Yellow cards: San Jose -- Gray 44, Clark 89.
    Referee: Alex Prus
    Att.: 17,824

Defender Ugo Ihemelu and midfielder Pete Vagenas led a resilent Galaxy effort that frustrated a sputtering San Jose attack. A scuffed Kevin Hartman clearance gave Brian Mullan the opportunity to hit Brian Ching with a pinpoint cross, but Ned Grabavoy capped a fine night's work by slotting home a perfect feed from Landon Donovan. Hartman atoned for his error with some clutch late saves.

San Jose -- 5 Onstad, 4 Gray (5 Goldthwaite, 74), 4 Califf, 5 Robinson, 5 Barrett (4 Cerritos, 72), 6 Mullan, 4 Clark, 4 De Rosario, 3 Chung, 5 Ching, 3 Moreno.

Los Angeles -- 6 Hartman, 5 Albright, 7 Ihemelu, 5 Marshall, 5 Dunivant, 4 Jones (nr Naldo 78), 4 Nagamura, 7 Vagenas, 6 Grabavoy (4 Gordon 72), 6 Donovan, 5 Gomez.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    today's
    www.socceramerica.com
    newsletter

1. WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

"At the end of the day, we can't be the owner. We're going to sell San Jose, one way or the other."
    -- AEG president Tim Leiweke, who said the chances of the Earthquakes playing in San Jose next season are "50-50." San Jose and Kansas City are the only two MLS teams not yet selling season tickets for next year, according the the San Jose Mercury News. (San Jose Mercury News)

"We've been doing this for four years. We put $20 million into it. I know people like to kick us and say we haven't treated the city well, but the reality is we saved the franchise here and we've stuck by it."
    -- Leiweke. (San Jose Mercury News)

"If he is ready to apologize from Highbury about quotes about Chelsea, then I'm ready to do the same. But of course it's not a personal thing. The intention was not to hurt the man, the human being, of course not. I have respect for him as a human being as he's a successful man and nobody has helped him to arrive where he's arrived. As a manager, too. It's the same, he's done very good things."
    -- Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho extends on olive branch to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, whom Mourinho had likened to a peeping Tom. (AFP)

"But there have been too many quotes about Chelsea - some hard, like for example that one about the moral leadership, some funny, like when he said I'd only won one Premiership title. I cannot win two in one season!"
    -- Mourinho. (AFP)

2. MLS: The final four coaches

In MLS semifinal action, Coach Fernando Clavijo's Colorado takes on Steve Sampson's Los Angeles on Saturday (9 pm ET, live on Fox Soccer Channel). On Sunday, it's Coach Steve Nicol's New England hosting Dave Sarachan's Chicago (3 pm ET, live on ESPN2).

Coached a national team
    Sampson (USA, 1995-98), Costa Rica (2002-03).

Head coached in a World Cup
    Sampson (USA, 1998).

Coached in an MLS Cup
    Sarachan (2003, loss to San Jose), Nicol (2002, loss to Los Angeles).

Coached college soccer
    Sarachan (Cornell, 1989-97), Sampson (Santa Clara, 1986-90).

Won collegiate national title as coach
    Sampson (Santa Clara, 1989).

Won a pro league title as coach
    Clavijo (1997 Continental Indoor Soccer League with Seattle Seadogs)

Played pro ball
    Nicol, Clavijo, Sarachan.

Played in a World Cup
    Clavijo (USA, 1994), Nicol (Scotland, 1986).

Red-carded in a World Cup game
    Clavijo (vs. Brazil, 1994)

Played in the European Cup
    Nicol (Liverpool)

Born and raised abroad
    Clavijo (Uruguay), Nicol (Scotland)

3. UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Chivas USA training facility

Chivas USA, which has been sharing the Home Depot Center with the Los Angeles Galaxy, will have a training facility of its own next spring in the city of Bells Gardens, where ground was broken on the $10 million Bell Gardens Sports Center. It will include four natural grass fields and two artificial turf fields.

Chivas USA will also hold reserve-team practices and host Futbolito tournaments and soccer clinics at the Center, which lies 13 miles from Home Depot Center, where Chivas USA will continue to play its games.

The complex was funded by the city of Bell Gardens.

"When we saw what they were undertaking and we talked to them about partnering with them and lending our support from a commercial standpoint and bringing sponsorship to the facility - from a programming standpoint, bringing what we do best to the facility - they saw it as a win-win, we saw it as a win-win," Chivas USA General Manager Whit Haskel told mlsnet.com.

25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    MLS play-offs Western div. final: Colorado 0-1 L.A. Galaxy (Half-time).

L. Donovan scored for LA off an excelent cross by Cobi Jones.