Portugals Euro 2008 Roster

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by quinas1139, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never been in favor of Brazilians playing for the Portuguese NT, and this is totally hypothetical, but there's two Brazilians that I think would fit in perfectly with this current team. One isn't eligible because he has already played for the Brazilian NT, Leo, and the other one I don't think has played for Brazil, but he might not be a Portuguese citizen yet, and that's Liedson.

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No, and No. Can we really have 4 Brasilian on the starting 11? Nahh my man.
    Leo is good, but I don't think hes good enough to even hold that LB spot to a right footed Ferreira or Miguel.

Liedson is interesting, but I rather develop Almeida or give Postiga the opportunity

We already got 2 Brasilian that are going to be on the Seleccao. Only other Brazuca I would take is Pato. :)

3. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I said I'm not in favor of any Brazilians being on the team. I'd rather there be 0 honestly. I was just speaking hypothetically. Those two players I mentioned would be improvements over the current LB and forwards on the roster.

Leo is a better LB then Ferreira and Miguel.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As am I. But Pepe chose Portugal over Brasil. I can respect that big time. His wife obviously influenced his decision but regardless, he would have easily made the Brasilian NT. Deco has proved himself in my eyes as well ever since the Holland adventure, I no longer have any queries on him either.

Oh wow...are you serious my man? I can give you Miguel goin forward. But not defensively, even if thats not Miguel main position. And Ferreira, while slow, has proven solid and good going forward for both the NT and Chelsea.

I like Leo, but he often gets beat up. Too tiny. Thats the reason why hes always been at Benfica.

5. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Except Leo plays like he's 6 feet tall so many times. I can understand if you said Miguel and Ferreira are better at their natural position (RB) then Leo at his, but as LB's Leo is better than they are. Leo is a solid defender, and a solid attacker. He rarely makes mistakes as well. Again, he plays much bigger then his stature dictates. Anyways, that's my opinion, and you have yours. I'd take any of them on my team any day (well, maybe not Miguel, but for other reasons).

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Okay. I can respect your opinion.

But I have to challenge you on that last statement. If you would not take Miguel for other reasons, then surely you would also leave Ronaldo off the roster for those same reasons which excluded Miguel.

7. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't remember Ronaldo putting Benfica in an awkward position because his agents (not the player) wanted to put him on another team. But if he did, I guess I'd have to think about it. Although Miguel is good, Ronaldo is great, and that could influence my decision differently then Miguel would.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Miguel didn't do anything to Benfica, nor did his agents. It was a monetary decision.

9. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    They gave Benfica an ultimatum, which was either sell Miguel or his agents would fight for him to be released from his contract because he didn't have the "conditions" to continue at Benfica. Maybe I'm being harsh on Miguel, because he was just following orders, but he could have resolved this issue on his own with LFV and probably gotten a better deal for both him and Benfica.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True, he could have probably done that. But do you think Benfica would have given him a better contract?

11. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, but Benfica believed they could have sold him for more. If both parties worked together, Benfica could have easily have gotten 15 million euros for Miguel, and Miguel might have even gotten a better contract worth more than he ended up getting. Instead, Miguel's agents forced Benfica's hand and they had to settle for only 9 million euros, and Miguel might have gotten ripped off as well.

12. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My team looks like this...

....................... Quim.........................
    .....Miguel.......Carvalho...Pepe.....Bosingwa/Ferreira
    .................Petit..............Veloso...................
    .....Quaresma..........Deco.............Simao/Nani...
    ........................C. Ronaldo...........................

13. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Team most likely to be played by Scolari in opener:

---------------Ricardo----------------
    Bosingwa--Carvalho--Pepe--Ferreira
    -----------Veloso---Petit-------------
    ---Ronaldo-----Deco--------Simao--
    ----------------Gomes-----------------

Team I'd like to see:

----------------Quim-----------------
    Bosingwa--Pepe--Carvalho--Ribeiro
    ---------Moutinho--Veloso------------
    --Quaresma----Deco-----Simao-----
    ----------------Ronaldo---------------

How many of you wouldn't be satisfied to see my lineup hit the field?

14. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I like your line up as long as Deco does some fighting in the midfield I don't think Moutinho can do it on his own. That and I think I rather Nani start then Quaresma, light a fire under his ass see if he can play out of his skin.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I like it, however I would put Miguel on the right side. And I am tempted to put Q and Nani on the other wing. The other wing often hurts my brain.

16. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    ----------------Quim---------------
    Miguel--Carvalho--Meira--Veloso
    ---------Petit----Moutinho----------
    ---Quaresma-------------Nani-------
    --------Ronaldo----Postiga----------

wish i could Maniche to throw in there

17. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    lol to joelzinho...

How did you get to be a mod?

You don't follow the games, you obviously don't read the news.
    It's baseless opinions regarding Manuel Fernandes, it's Miguel now... do you have a single informed opinion, or you just make things up as they come?

What a retardation, seriously.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Meh...

Show me how Petit has done any better then Manuel Fernandes to warrant a spot on the team? You want to keep Petit, fine. Show me what Meireles(althought he has looked good of late) has done?

And it was always Miguel. I am just looking to add a defensive aspect to the team on that side so we don't get burned. We don't have a good left footer who plays the the type of defense Miguel plays. Ribiero is better going forward and crossing, but not playing defense. Same goes for Ferreira. Thats why I put Miguel there. He is able to keep up with anyone on that wing and shut them down. He doesn't have to go forward, we are strong enough on the wings for them to be able to carry the ball appropriately without too much support.

Defense wins championships.

19. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I have to agree with Joelzinho, I would start Miguel over Bosingwa any day as long as he can give us performances like he did against Holland in the 2006 WC.

20. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    You don't know what happened when Manuel Fernandes left, you don't know what happened when Miguel left and yet you post like you know, I think was my point.

That and not watching Sporting-Benfica but lamenting missing Everton vs whoever… lol it says everything I need to know.

You just don’t know what you’re talking about, and it’s sad.

ps: I'm sure every informed person has its own opinions, that's not my point.

21. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    As a Benfica fan I hear you Dilmo. I don't appreciate the way Manuel Fernandes & Miguel left Benfica. Although I think Manuel Fernandes was worst as he walked out right before a european cup match. But for the NT level I respect the sweat & tears Miguel puts into his performances.

22. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I guess I'm off topic and that is where the confusion is coming.

It has nothing to do with the NT, but with the "benfiquista" joelzinho being ill informed about what happens in the club.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol....internet tough guy.

I never proclaimed to watch every match. But I watch enough to understand whats goin on.

And this is where you went wrong, I was talking about Miguel and Manuel Fernandes being used for the NT. You are so emotionally attached to your club team that you simply write off Miguel and Manny because they left Benfica. Who gives a shit. So they left Benfica, who cares when it comes to the NT. Its irrelevant. But no, somehow you managed to bring Benfica in here?

Petit is SHIT. PERIOD. There are compilations of him messing up. Name me one good international tournament he has had. He hasn't had any. Clubissmo you guys call it? red glasses? Take those off sonny.

You would LOVE to have Miguel and Manny back, you would take them in a heartbeat.

24. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    You can't go by just compilations man. If you go by just compilations then my man Quaresma is Maradonna!!! (hopefully he will be considered that after the Euro!!!).

Petit is not Makelele but he's the best defensive midfielder we have.

25. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I’m repeating myself…
    This has nothing to do with the NT!