Portugals Euro 2008 Roster

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by quinas1139, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    But I dont understand how you can say he was proven right if the other players he chose didnt play, well Boa Morte played in 1 game for 10 minutes, the Mexico game in which we had already qualified for the next round. Quaresma was the best player of the year in Portugal, he should have been on the squad and he might have had a bigger impact then Boa Morte.

The sub-21 team (which included Nani, Almeida, Meireles, Mountinho & Fernandes) did bomb that summer but to insinuate it was Quaresma's fault is incorrect. Portugal lost the 1st two games due to own goals and being a man down. The third game they won against Germany but it wasnt enough.
    And if you want to talk about maturity just look back to Portugals performance in the Olympics....

2. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I'm not saying the Moreira was a better choice or not. I just said that you can't say his choice to pick Moreira was better. I also said that I think Baia would have atleast helped in terms of leadership and yes that is just a guess which I base on how he handled being number 2 to Helton.

Yes I did see Quaresma's exhibitions in the Euro under-21 competition, did you? So Portgual lost because of Quaresma? Quaresma did not play great nor did he play bad, he had a decent tournament. Did you see him play during the whole year in which he won player of the year in Portugal? After having such a great year and hoping to make the World Cup and then ending up on the sub-21 would leave most dejected.

By the way did you see Boa Morte's performance at the Olympics??? I know that was 2 years earlier but thats the only international performance I can base him on and he was playing against younger kids....and he still didnt do that great...

3. Messi-ah

Messi-ah Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    just suprised that maniche is out.
    Wow..in the end, forget about club form, maniche is money for portugal.
    And im not feeling the fwds either. I say model the portugal format/ style to man utds' system, and let ronaldo run the show, haha

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I say it based on the results achieved. 04 finalist and 06 semi-finalist. Overall great achievements.

No disagreement there.:eek:

6. Guilhe

Guilhe New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    I'm not sure he would have handled being number 3 in the NT team (with a coach who was very criticized by Pinto da Costa at that time) as well as he did being number 2 in Porto.But we'll never know that...

I disagree with you there. I think Quaresma (as most of the rest of the team) had a bad tournament and I can't say I think he would have added anything to our NT.

7. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree with you about Maniche. He is the MOTOR in the Portuguese midfield. Without the motor, a car can not move.

8. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Yes but you replace the two players in question or just take two players less and you get the same result so you cant say Scolari was right. I think if anything Quaresma would have added if given the chance.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    We're comparing apples with oranges. I say what happened, and you say if it happened

10. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    In 2004 Ronaldo played a great Euro and did bad in the Olympics, it happens because you cant compare the two competitions and the motivation level.

You can't compare Quaresma's performance in an under-21 tournament to what he would have done in the world cup, two different tournaments and different motivation...and again, I stress how bummed out he must have been to miss the world cup. I know that the national team jersey should always be defended no matter at what level but he had been on the youth levels for so long that he was waiting for his first senior tournament.

11. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Lol, yes we are...we are both trying to prove a point that can't be proven on either end.

Your saying what happened but what happened wasnt a result of either Moreira or Boa Morte......

12. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Agreed

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't know about that :) What hapened, happened.
    They were part of it, however small role they played in it.

14. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    To be or not to be...that is the question...lol

yes they played 10 minutes of it.....at least one of them

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

So you agree with me, finally :)

16. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If I recall correctly, at least 2 games in the Qualifiers we were leading 1-0 and J. Moutinho came in late in the game and (coincidence or not) Poland and Serbia (I think) came back to tie... :rolleyes:

17. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    yes I'm in a good mood today

18. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Moutinho is on the team because he is a "workhorse" I believe he recently tied or broke a record for most consectuctive games played in Portugal. He doesn't draw many bookings and has great field presence. For you to call him overrated must mean you know more then Man U and Newcastle who are looking to sign him for 30 Million.

It may sound biased because I am a SCP supporter but the kid is a machine in the midfield.

19. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The biggest problem with this squad is the lack of a true DM. We don't have a Costinho or Vidigal to do the dirty work. Petit is a crappier version of the aforementioned 2 players.

We also have too many flank players with out a true center forward for them to serve the ball to. In addition all of those flank players don't play too much defense which then necessitates the need for a strong DM.

Unless Carvalho and Pepe play like Supermen, Portugal is going to get burnt many times...

20. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I agree, Moutinho is a workhorse but he's not as good as Maniche. Maniche has a better shot and is physically stronger. Moutinho is more easily pushed around but he does play with tons of heart and never gives up.

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  22. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Yes against Georgia on the 31st.

23. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why is everyone getting worked up over Maniche? Dude simply is not in form and for Inter he rarely see's the field anymore. When scolari called him up for the Euro qualifying he looked done. Yes he's been great for us in the past, but its time to move on.

Caniera is shit. End of story. Anyone wanting caniera on the team needs a lobotomy.

24. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Maniche wasnt in form or played much for chelsea in 2006 yet was one of the players of the tournement.

Costinha didnt even have a ********ing club team for a whole year and trained with the U 19 NATIONAL TEAM and scolari still called him.

Petit is pure crap at the best of times, and this season he has even surpassed himself in the RARE occasion he wasnt injuree.

Raul meireles is nothing but average at best, and we're doomed if we leave midfield in his ********ing hands..the times assuncao and lucho werent there for porto to hold his hand he was pure crap and porto got smashed by nacional twice.

Maniche is our engine, hes mobile, and has superb skill and passing, the onkly player like him his manelele whose finally rounding into top form again like he did last season dominating vs chelsea arsenal tottenham newcastle etc..yet both are not called

and instead we have to rely on meireles and moutinho who is easily bullied, like we saw vs serbia, poland etc.

Our two best centre mids arent even there for god sakes.

and petit, who is nothing but crap this year is going to start, we all know that..so you can understand the feeling most of us have right now for God sakes.

our midfield is so slow as well, veloso isnt mobile, same as petit, deco is a shadow of his formeer self, meireles sucks, and moutinho is a midget.

But I agree with you about Caniera, so happy that pile of crap wasnt called.

25. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Yup it was because Maniche we qualified.....lol. Maniche was terrible.