Portugals Euro 2008 Roster

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by quinas1139, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Petit AND Meira?! starting as centre mids

holy ********, not even in my WORST nightmares.

2. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    lol, your messed up.

3. Moutinho28

Moutinho28 New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Mississauga, ON
    Hold on a second, how many times have you actually watched Sporting play all season?

4. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    If anyone wants to write a post using the method of critical thinking, just do what Tribalsun did and summarize all my recent related posts into two paragraphs. Free of charge. :D

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It was a matter of time before you agreed with something I said. And if things go the way I see it you will be agreeing on a whole lot more ;)

C.Martins was ok on SCP but they're hype machine is about as good as their youth Academy. He done nothing with his NT call ups and has been underwhelming in Spain.

If I had to take a 10 to the Euro to back Deco it would of been Rui but that story ended a long time ago even though he probably still could be effective 1 last time. But if Deco can be Deco and stay healthy we won't need a #10 to back him. And we could always bring in another Winger and Let Ronaldo roam.

I think we will see big changes after this Tournament even if we are successful. Nuno, Helder, Petit and even Fereira, Ricardo, possibly Simao look to be on their way out in some form or another, be it age, quality dip, fitness. As well as planning for the future and getting some more kids involved.

I know most were hoping that it would of been done for this Tourney but it was obvious from the first qualifier that it was going to be a natural change not a drastic one seeings how Figo, Pauleta, and Costinha were done. And Scolari wante dto keep some familiarity with the majority of the team. Even though Andrade, Tiago, and Maniche could still do well it looks like they are done for the NT as well.

We should be ok for the Euro barring injuries or bullshit calls. I see us in the Semi's and I think a Final appearence is very possible if things go ok. Always possible for a team to go down but I think this is a team built to win and not so much to dazzle or impress.

6. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    In his defense, for most people it is difficult to see the true value of Moutinho unless you spend a significant amount of time (as a neutral fan) watching him play.

7. Tribalsun

Tribalsun New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    let me at least send you a thank you card...:p

8. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Absolutely sir.

Donations through paypal are also accepted.

9. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Caneira IMO didnt deserve to be on the roster. However Maniche definately does. He is without a doubt more deserving then Meireles or Moutinho.

10. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Probably through no fault of his own, Maniche has been out of action for most of the season. It's silly to say that Moutinho and Meireles are less deserving as I'm sure they've worked very hard to be in the position they're in.

IMO, most of the cries about Maniche have probably been due to nostalgic reasons rather than pragmatic ones. I can think of a few good reasons as to why he wasn't included and I accept that the team is moving towards other options. He was great for Portugal in the past and I'm sure most fans will not forget his solid contributions.

11. Guilhe

Guilhe New Member

Jan 26, 2008

Why is he more deserving than Moutinho and Meireles? I think Meireles showed this season he is our best man for the DM position and Moutinho had a great season too. If Maniche had to take someone's place it should be Petit's or Veloso's but Scolari decided to choose the ones with more playing time.

12. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Hum... didn't see anyone mention Postiga's call.

Those must have been some very good 2 goals he scored in greece.

EDIT: The other topic is closed...
    How stupid can people be?
    From injuries wishes to a "dirty Portuguese nose" - ooh, I don't want to sound violent but I've punched people for less.

13. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol

It could've been worse if Martins and Caneira made the team.

Anyone who is pondering which numbers each player will wear, here's my prediction:

Goalkeepers: #1 Ricardo (Real Betis Balompié),
    #12 Quim (SL Benfica), #22 Rui Patrício (Sporting Clube de Portugal).

Defenders: #2 Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea FC), #6 Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea FC),
    #3 Bosingwa (FC Porto), #4 Bruno Alves (FC Porto), #19 Jorge Ribeiro (Boavista FC),
    #13 Miguel (Valencia CF), #5 Fernando Meira (VfB Stuttgart), #15 Pepe (Real Madrid CF).

Midfielders: #8 Petit (SL Benfica), #20 Deco (FC Barcelona), #16 Raul Meireles (FC Porto),
    #14 Miguel Veloso (Sporting Clube de Portugal), #18 João Moutinho (Sporting Clube de Portugal).

Forwards: #21 Nuno Gomes (SL Benfica), #11 Simão Sabrosa (Club Atlético de Madrid),
    #7 Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United FC), #17 Nani (Manchester United FC),
    #9 Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen), #10 Ricardo Quaresma (FC Porto),
    #23 Hélder Postiga (Panathinaikos FC).

14. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Some picks are a joke lets start the bashing...

GK: Won´t argue with Ricardo and Quim but not calling Eduardo probably the best keeper in the league this season its the first joke anda calling Rui "frangueiro" Patricio an even bigger joke! Hell at least Ricardo will teach him on the art of making a fine frango...

D: Not much to say everyone expected this selection, probably some wanted to see Caneira but the truth is he is crap playing on the left, so no point calling him.
    Jorge Ribeiro was a good pick and hoppefully will have some playing time but i would like to see Bosingwa doing that position and Miguel on the right.

M: No Maniche?! Well we know Scolari never liked much Maniche, they had problems since the friendlies before Euro2004 but not calling the player that was influential in Euro2004 and WC2006 and the best scorer with 4 goals is an absolute joke and an insult for everything he gave to the NT on the past tournaments.
    Petit? absolute garbage during this season and one of the cancers at Benfica... another of "Scolari boys", he is a usefull player and the trinco position is tough but he didn´t deserve to be on the squad.
    The other players were the one´s everyone expected to see, Manuel Fernandes is a shame but he his a headcase and the problems he caused in Valencia ruined even more his reputation otherwise he would be there.

A: Nuno Gomes? Postiga? Well its our attack lol! They could do something on the Euro, they already did on the past but the only reason they were selected was because we have no one else!
    But why not call Djaló? or even Edinho from AEK? Why not give a chance to someone else?! Or even better why not call only Hugo Almeida and use Ronaldo as our other striker option?! We had years and years without strikers and only with João Pinto and Sá Pinto playing as forwards and we scored goals from everywhere and were a joy to watch and an attacking force.

Well overall the selection isn´t bad but not calling Maniche is just a sin that may prove decisive since i consider the midfield the key to win most of the games and the lack of heart and agressivity will be missed.
    On a final note and considering the recent form trought the qualification if we made it to the last 8 it would be an achievment.

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    enough to know not to post in the SCP threads about what a wasteful performance Moutinho had. Although I was more vocal about him during the UEFA Cup and NT games.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What are you talking about? Moutinho has been our best player all-season, with the NT, he hasn't really carried his form but now is the time to impress.

We all got to be positive, all this negativity is shit. Manuel fernandes deserved a call-up, the problem with scolari is hes a bad scout.... Djalo(6 goals in 5 games), Edinho, Eduardo, Rui pedro, are good option, role-players not great but still will get the job done.

4-4-2 should be our formation.... Ronaldo as a complementary striker.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've seen 2 good Moutinho performances since he moved to SCP's main squad. I was never impressed with him in SCP's run to the Uefa Cup Final and even in under 21 he was very underwhelming.

The fact is the only people I have ever come across that rate him highly are SCP fans. If your a neutral and you like him a lot then your rare. No teams fans rave about him, yet Veloso in 1 or 2 games can have Manchester United salivating while SCP supporters still believe Moutinho is the next great SCP product. He's not, maybe SCP will get away with selling him for a great price but he just doesn't have much quality to warrant starting every game or even that armband he wears.

He doesn't make much mistakes (except for everytime he shoots) but at the same time he has no influence over games, he doesn't win many balls or create many plays. Sure maybe vs the bottom feeders but give him a decent team and he disappears. He has not had one good game with Portugal, not even at the U21 level so I see his inclusion to the NT is odd especially at the expense of probably our best NT performer. But Maniche dug his own grave.

I see Moutinho only staying as a NT player as long as the SCP hype machine keeps him. As soon as he leaves for another squad he will disappear completely.

18. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    No real complaints, although I would have called Maniche and I don't think Rui Patricio is Portugal's 3rd best goalkeeper, but 3rd goalkeepers very rarely play.

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

alright GD but there is a reason why he is highly rated...and its not the "SCP hype machine" unless all SCP fans are stupid and your the only smart one around.

ppl shold go watch tapes of SCP in the CL against man united and roma you will see that players like moutinho and veloso can play well against other good midfielders.

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That almost implies that I am a SCP fan :eek:

Sorry a lot of people (mostly Sporting fans) can rate him highly, but my opinion is my opinion and I seen 2 good games out of the 20 or so that I can recall of him. Mostly those games were on a bigger stage then SCP vs Mid table and lower Liga teams so maybe vs the weak is where he shines. VS Manchester and Roma he seemed ok but nothing out of the ordinary from a Liga Which prompts me to ask whats so special about him? He seems just there at best for me.

His NT performances on the other hand, Senior and U21 have been crap. He adds nothing to the National team.

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I got to agree with Gooddead. Too often he has a quiet game and goes unnoticed throughout the match. And no one tell me that means hes doing a goodjob, he should be noticeable.

Petit. Very frustrated at that inclusion.

22. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Here are the clubismos coming to the surface. Sorry no Braga players on the NT.

Have you watched Deco play lately? Have you watched Maniche play lately? Have you watched Ribeiro play left fullback lately?

As for Moutinho he should be on the team. Covers the mid well great ball possesion, passer, and reads the game well. Don't see him starting, but a game with a late lead definetely a insurance sub.

23. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I guess Scolari only wanted one of the Ribeiro brothers, maybe he brought the wrong one.

It's an interesting squad and a lot of these players can be difference makers or can help us implode. I really don't know what to expect and I can see all the players shedding off the season and having a great tournement but we'll have to wait and see.

I really wish Djalo was brought instead of Postiga but he does have his moments no matter what form he's in so we'll see.

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wanted to see some new faces. Djalo, Fernandes, anyone....Some game breakers if brought on, something different. Instead we get Petit and Postiga + Gomes again....ugh

Thank the lord Veloso was chosen. I would have snapped.

25. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Why not play Russian rollete.

What other game breakers do we have?

The only problem I have with Scolari's selection is leaving out a proven LF like Caneira. He got us through the qualifying, and we have no better option. Ribeiro hasn't even been tested against top players at LB, and hasn't even played LB this season. If Scolary is planning on playing him in LM, then he should be arrested.