Portugals Euro 2008 Roster

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by quinas1139, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moutinho28

Moutinho28 New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Mississauga, ON
    I'm sure Gooddead will hate the fact Moutinho may be in Scolari's 11...

Midfield should consist of Veloso-Moutinho-Deco. Moutinho & Veloso both know each other very well, it's always a bonus having great chemistry. Petit shouldn't even be on our bench nevermind the starting lineup.

I agree with Quaresma and Joelzinho posts regarding our midfield...

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah but Antunues needs to play, he hardly touches the field for Roma currently. I would have loved Pele on the team, would have been a nice change of pace, however even he got relatively few games.

In regards to Coentrao hes just not there yet. We have our 4 wingers, and they are all World Class players, and I would rather bring Boa Morte once more before Coentrao.

3. Peter of Portugal

Peter of Portugal New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Boa Morte? He's an undisciplined, old, mediocre winger. Coentroa would bring so much more flare and tempo to the pitch.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Old and Mediorce at this point yes. But undisciplined is a word that should be applied to Coentrao. I would much rather bring in Helder Barbosa as a 5th winger before Coentrao.

5. SSLBenfica

SSLBenfica New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Eh Pa
    1. Petit in the starting 11 with veloso is pretty defensive minded on Scolaris part, but moutinho hasnt proven to be trusted for a full 90 minute job in the middle, a good game from him v Georgia is CRUCIAL to keeping Petit out of the starting 11 for good, hopefully he can do so.

2. I think Nuno Gomes will proove to be a key element in the tournament this year, the guy scores goals in big games, if he puts away 2-3 this tournament then we should be off to a good start. Ultimately Pauleta in my opionoin was Portugal's downfall in Germany, and looking into Gomes eyes after his germany goal said a thousand words- i could have made the difference. This man is playing with a chip in his shoulder and i apologize to H.Almeida in advance cuz it will keep him on the bench.

Formula For a Portugal Triumph:

CR7 - a 8.5/10 Tournament (Leading Performances cementing him into History books) + 2-3 goals
    RQ17- a 8.0/10 Tournament (Assitanting goals with crosses and trickey plays)
    Nuno Gomes- ?/10 Tournament - 2-3 goals (He can play like crap all day as long as hes there for that rebound or cross for at least 3 times he has done his job)

+ and 7/10 performances from Moutinho, PFeriera and Ricardo.

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think whether Petit starts or not depends more on Veloso then Moutinho. I think Moutinho has a spot next to Deco in the midfield, but I could be wrong.

Quaresma needs to have a good tournament, but I think Simao will be getting the nod before Q gets a shot at it.

Nuno Gomes...I love the guy. I think he will score some goals, but he is turning 32...

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He will bring his swagger. Q-Boy is essentially playing for a contract, so look for him to be more assertive.

8. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hope Nani and Quaresma get a chance to show their stuff this tournament even if its off the bench they are SOO different from Simao it will be hard for defenders to adapt to them.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Idealistically, I would have liked to see Ronaldo - Quaresma, or Ronaldo - Nani combination. But the fact is Simao is a good player, and had a good season at Atl. Madrid. Not to mention he is more consistent and you basically know what your going to get from him.

However, if it is going to be Ronaldo - Simao combination, I want to see Nani first off the bench and not Q. Q has showed he is a terrible sub.

10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Still using Pauleta as a scape goat. Even after he has retired. Unbelievable. He has retired but we still have the same problems. When are people going to finally come to the realization that the problem is not just one player. In qualifying for this tournament, we had a hard time scoring against competition that we should have been able to score more against. Cant blame Pauleta this time (although Im sure someone will try :D) Why the problem then ? Single striker and mids that shoot before they pass is IMO our biggest problem. I wish I had a nickle for every blast 20 feet over the net from our mids. We dont attack as a unit. Our team is playing like a bunch of individuals. There is no fluidity to our game. Coach as smart as a brick has to take some of the blame.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The mid-field has always been Portugal' strength, in this Euro the story will be repeated.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I no longer think this is the case though. I am against the idea of having Ronaldo playing in the striker role, but having the likes of Quaresma and Nani on the bench at the same time pain's me.

13. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton

That is very true. Maybe too strong at times when it comes to offence. If we are looking towards our mids to do all of our scoring, then we will be in trouble. There has to be balance. If not in goals, at least in opportunities.

14. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would like to Scolari to at least TRY Ronaldo upfront against Georgia. It hurts me less to have Postiga, Gomes and Almeida on the bench then it does to have Nani and Quaresma there.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal