Portugal x Serbia - UEFA Euro 2008 Group "A" Qualifier [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Força Sporting, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Last chance to make a statement. Yes to Euro08

2. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Give that man a cigar.
    Scolari fields the team - there are 11 players - it is up to them to win the game.

3. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Hopefully Ricardo doesn't give up another tragedy. I still feel more comfortable with him then Quim anyhow. As far as the Striker situation goes, Hugo Almeida is on the team so why not start him. Hasn't Nuno Gomes proven that he is done. The best striker should start but unfortunately it doesn't look like Postiga will be able to play. I would like to see Bosingwa play as well as he did against Poland. It will go a long way towards a win on Wednesday. Scolari is still one of the best coaches for our national team and all the haters will get their wish soon enough because from what I understand he will be replaced after the Euro 2008. No other coach has been able to get our National Team to a Euro final and a World Cup semifinal in back to back cycles. Remember that when you start bashing him. It's up to the players to win the game. Ricardo blew it for us against Poland but things like that happen in soccer. I hope they bounce back and show their quality against a potent Serbia attack.

4. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Almeida was suspended genius.

now hes an option, and Varela or makukula should have been called, but the genius that is scolari loves ppl like nuno maria instead.

He hasnt changed one thing about the team since we lost to greece in 04, we play the exact same style vs bunkering teams, and they know it works since scolari is too much of an idiot to understand the only way to bring them out of their shell is to draw them out like russia did vs greece when they won.

Let greece have the ball and venture up the field, and hit them on the counter with pace..vs belgium thats how we scored almost all our goals, and our second was a result from a counter attasck where the goalie made an amazing save off tiago for a corner.

but no, we play our usual ********** foot game around the edge of the box and no one has the balls to take a shot, Almeida is one of those players who shoots when he has the ball within 15 metres of goal with his cannon, we need someone like that to make the defenders pressure up the field a bit more, opening up more spaces and lanes to go in behind where initially they would be blocked by bodies/

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Your very wrong Deco's play was outstanding vs Poland. I suggest you rewatch the game.

6. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of nuno either, though he has come through with some clutch goals in the past and is pretty experienced with the team.

I was not impressed with Almeida on his last outing and I don't think anyone can make a strong argument that he is a better stiker than Nuno. he does have a bullet of a shot but Portugal doesn't need their striker to be shooting outside the 18 very often, especially with their style of play. They have more than enough mids who are very capable of doing this.

Varela or Makukula might be good options but I would not start them for these two very important games due to their lack of experience with the squad. Sorry, but Nuno is the best choice right now unfortunately, with maybe Almeida or Ronaldo taking the role late in the match.

Live with it.

7. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Scolari has Portugal playing to their strengths... which is their possession game. If you think it's easy to switch this on the fly to a counter attacking style where they absorb pressure and counter attack quickly, you are on some mystical coaching cloud. I think Portugal would get torn apart playing this style since they often concede goals on few chances from other teams.

All that aside, I do agree with you that the counter attacking style of play would be more efficient on the bunker teams. Now why don't you go support Italy. You can change your name to Catenaccio.

8. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Repped! I couldn't agree w/ you more. With this post you've shown that you actually know what you are talking about (I share the same opinion). This style of play is quite obvious though so I can't understand how some people can't see it; if it wasn't for CR's moments of inspiration in our Portugal NT games (and to some extent Deco's at times) we would truly be a so-so team!

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Hey man, look what playing pretty fancy soccer got us in Euro 04...... Greece got the job done with ugly defensive soccer. I always wondered if Portugal played a more defensive counter attacking game, if we would be as successful.

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The problem with trying to play this type of game with the players we have is that there are not built to play counter attack soccer.

Both of you are not looking closely at the types of players we have.

Aside from Petit we don't have very "Physical" defenders. Portugal has great technical players, that need the ball at their feet. Portugal is great on build up and finding their target players. Of course this doesn't always work against teams that bunker and defend well.

Greece had great defensive shape, do did Poland. The way to beat these teams is not just let them have the ball, but to keep possession, keep switching fields until a passing lane opens up or one of the strikers breaks his mark.

Yes shots are important, but what good will it do to take shots against 8 men in the box? Portugal needs to use the flanks more, with their outside backs and flank players. The key for Portugal is always the cover that the "trincos" can supply so they don't get caught in a counter attack.

Scolari started Maniche and Petit...Petit is a great def mid, hard tackler but he is not that good at ball recovery. Neither is Maniche who is a great box to box guy but once again can not win balls in the midfield.

Our problem hasn't always been lack of scoring from our striker, but the ability to get behind the ball line once they lose possession, and the ability to recover the ball in Midfield would set up so many things.

There is always a balance when determining what formation to use, what strategy to use, and it's usually dictated by the types of players and what they are comfortable in doing.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You better scream your lungs out for everyone not attending that game. Portugal needs as much support as humanly possible. If you see anyone during the game acting calm, put them in their place immediatly.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Okay heres my lineup

Bosingwa -- Meira -- Andrade -- Miguel
    -------- Maniche ----- Petit ----------
    Ronaldo ------ Deco -------- Quaresma
    ------------- Nuno Gomes ------------

Here's my retarded Montreal(Expoooossss!) - Canadian(Cheyh!) - Lisboa(Olaias!) - Portuguese(Golo!) logic.

Defense:

RB : Bosingwa looks like he can do practically everything Miguel can do offensively and more with his crosses which are one better the Miguel. Even though Miguel is a good tier better on the defensive aspect, Bosingwa will do fine against Serbia.

LB : Miguel, yes he is not left footed, nor does it even look like he is cabable of crossing with his left foot. But defensively he is better then Ferreira and anyone else that could potentially play that position. And he can still get Forward and link with the wingers. Plus, how much offense do we really need coming from that flank if we have either Ronaldo or Quaresma there. In reality, he does not need to overlap the wing all the way to the box, but maybe between the mid line and the box.

CB's: Meira, Andrade. Meira for obviously reasons. Probably the most consistent, healthy CB we currently have. I also chose to start Andrade over Alves. I believe even though Andrade is clearly out of form, he is still faster then Alves. Andrade and Meira know what they are doing together and Andrade has an intelligence thats calms me.

Midfield :

DM : Maniche, Petit . Maniche is not human, he is a machine, he never stop running. I am positive he would take a bullet to shield the Portuguese flag from being deformed. He is an absolute workhorse that connects wonderfull with the defense and offense. Petit....I hate him, I actually dispise him. But he is a complement to Maniche, hardbody type of player and he seems to have somewhat lost his tendency to continously make rediculous fouls and long ball passes.

Wingers: Ronaldo , Quaresma . Ronaldo needs no explanation. Quaresma, ah the famous Q - man debate. This is my F'in logic right now. THE DUDE IS HUNGRY AS HELL. He WANTS it. But he needs to start...He is creative, works, and it is clear him and Ronaldo have some sort of Homo-Sporting-bond that they formed when they were spooning each other back in their academy nights. Yes he probably has some psycological problems, but when he starts Ronaldo cannot be double teamed. The game is wide open whenever Quaresma seems to start for Portugal.

Central Attacking Medio: Deco, He does seem to be lazy, but he is still Deco. He still see's ball's other don't. He sprays long balls from wing to wing and is able to get out of some tough situations. Hopefully Scolari got into his head about closing down...

Forward:

Striker: Nuno Gomes, He is what we have. He holds the ball up, works hard, and links play very well with the midfield. If he becomes ineffective, even if we are winning. Sub for Nani or something...I don't know.

13. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Great starting lineup analysis but I can do with the whole Sporting Homo part :confused:

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [youtube]bnioHCxwWBs[/youtube]

Booster

15. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    great find Vila! Is that Mariza singing?

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    No. Dulce Pontes.

17. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :eek:

Dude, you need a GF - badly

:eek:

18. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    WTF is going on in here LOL

I think it has something to do with all the tensions and nerves about this game.

Seriously.

I'm scared as ********.

19. dilmo22

dilmo22 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
  20. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    It sure would never happen with our Brasilians. Sh!t Deco hasn't even learned the whole anthem yet.

21. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Pepe actually learnt all the words of the anthem, and said during the summer it was on his ipod whenenver he would go for runs hed listen to it over and over again:D

22. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Talk about passion! I think some of those guys had tears in their eyes while singing 'A Portuguesa'. Fantastic spirit :) I hope the Selecção Nacional has the same passion in tomorrows match...

23. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I posted that on a thread, and it was a joke. :D

24. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Actually no, on maisfutebal last month there was an article about him saying he was listening to the ntl anthem every day in the summer to learn the words and that he wasnt going to sing it now in front of the reporter, but save it for his first official match:D

I added the part about him putting it on his ipod though for added effect,to stir less conteversy with his inclusion on our squad:D

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nah, I am good with the random head for now.

I won't lie though I am putting in some work on a particular girlie.