Portugal x Serbia - UEFA Euro 2008 Group "A" Qualifier [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Força Sporting, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm surprised that no-one had started a thread on this match yet

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Venue:Estádio José de Alvalade
    [​IMG]

Anyways, the game is schedule for September 12, 2007 @ 21:0 GMT / 4:00 pm EST. Portugal will be playing in the fortress called Estádio José de Alvalade. Portugal has not lost a match at Alvalade thus far. To wit:

UEFA Euro 2004 Group A: Match 3 - Portugal 1 - Spain 0

UEFA Euro 2004 Semi-Final - Portugal 2 - Holland 1

FIFA World Cup 2006 Qualifier - Portugal 7 - Russia 1

UEFA Euro 2008 Qualifier - Portugal 4 - Belgium 0

Must be the power of the green and white

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I don't care what power it is, I want to see our guys with hunger out there. Serbia is at their weakest now so it's time to lay a beat down on them and put ourselves in a qualifying spot. I still believe that we will finish first in our group.

3. salsero96

salsero96 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Sorry for the ignorance here..

Can someone please explain to me what needs to happen in order for Portugal to make it to 1st or 2nd place? Do we now have to win every game from here on?

And when is Carvalho due back?

4. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Portugal allways do well in Alvalade, I hope they play there all the time.

Call me supersticious, I am.
    Let's hope our(SCP) Stojkovic gets hammered, and lets in a couple frangos.

5. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Their are so many posibilities.
    Except Serbia on wednesday, Portugal have the easier teams. Also now I'm rooting for Poland to win every game. This way 2nd place will be much easier.

6. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Maybe if our coach stops scoreboard/standing watching and set his team up to win (not tie) then we will be ok. As I mentioned in another thread though, Nuno and Deco should not start as the have done nothing in the last few games. We have planty of talented and more motivated players on the bench will to give all they have for our country.

7. salsero96

salsero96 New Member

Aug 15, 2007

Yeah.. I was just looking at the standings and the upcoming games...

Portugal v. Serbia
    and
    Poland v. Finland

So... we could be in second place if Portugal wins and Finland loses.. right?

8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Portugal can still obtain 1st or 2nd place. Right now, We control our destiny for 2nd place without counting on anyone losing. There will still be 4 games left after the Serbia game so a lot can change. Now is Portugal does not win vs Serbia, then we are in trouble because we will have to count on Poland/Finland to drop points. A win will get us Second place.

9. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    Don't worry guys, I'll be at the match and will make sure they do alright. Do not fear.

PS- Yes, the full purpose of this post was gloating. Am I lucky or what? :p

10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Sacana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I wish I could ban you now :p

12. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Paulo Ferreira should start on LB, Bosingwa should also start on RD. Meanwhile, can we get somebody, anybody (even PIO) to replace the coach? :cool:
    PIO, I noticed from the Portugal-Poland thread that you're finally turning the corner and noticed Scolari's short-comings...:rolleyes:

13. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Our coach has done something as a coach that no one else has been able to. Keep the politics out of our team. That has gone a long way to improving our NT. Now having said that, there are many choices that he has made that have drove me nuts.

14. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    that is IMO much easier to do nowadays considering 3/4 of the team consists of players who are playing abroad...;)

as for his game tactics I still would rather see PIO in there! :D

15. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Honestly I think he is a good coach, but IMO to get this team to the next level we need someone else. I feel he's just gotten too confortable there, and you know when people get too confortable in a position they don't perform to their potential.

16. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    don't forget this is the same coach that won a World Championship w/ Brazil... so he's been at THAT level (well, his players have :cool:)

anyway, the bottom line is this guy has been fortunate w/ the players he's been lucky to coach, his tactics are Null, zero, ziltch! Gets lucky w/ subs, that's all! I can't consider someone a good coach when you are tied 1-1 away against a team ranked 70 something in the world (and he's coaching a World top 10 team) and you replace your only forward in the game w/ another forward when supposedly you should be trying to win the game. Way to go, smarty! :mad:

17. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Any manager coaching Brasil risks being world champion.
    However we don't have the talent pool Brasil has, or even close to it.

18. Sevryn45

Sevryn45 New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Good luck to Portugal against Serbia I hope you guys win, you deserve to go through. Poland is playing Finland next and if everything goes as planned we will have 23 points, after that we have 3 games left.

19. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    I would be 100% confident if we had Carvalho and Pepe back there..not that alves and meira were horrible..but i have my doubts about them defending serbias set pieces or controlling Zigic.

Almeida should be striker, if anything hell keep vidic and ivanovic busy atleast, and allow more space for our attacking midfielders, and finally someone who can get on the end of crosses.

20. brothermatt

brothermatt New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Meira is a tall guy he can handle serbias set pieces.

21. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    Meira is ok, not so much for Bruno Alves.

The genious that Scolari is will probably play Nuno Gomes from the start again. Are you guys picturing him going against ivanovic and Vidic. What a laugh. Did he even call Almeida?

22. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    So who do you start instead of Nulo?

23. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    Hugo Almeida, Ronaldo, Nani, Makukula, Varela, that U-21 black dude I can't remember the name, Eusébio, a dummy, no one, me, you, Joelzinho, a broomstick with his wig, Ricardo, G.W.Bush, Pikachu and last but not least his hot wife.

Did I forget anyone?

24. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    You think we can get him naturalized in time? As for the broomstick only if it's not brasilian.

I have one big question, not yet brought up.

Since Postiga was injured.
    Why was Hugo Almeida not even on the roster for the Poland game?

It was a perfect game for him to start, and shine.

25. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Let me rephrase that then. Who do you start against the Serbs that is with the team? Your answer: Ronaldo. Predictable but he has shown himself to be ineffective in that position on numerous occasions. Ronaldo has yet to prove himself when he is being marked and isolated. Almeida? Is he with the team? Maybe you missed his last game for the NT. Also, who do you sub in later in the game as a plan B to bring in a fresh tactic when Portugal is playing like Arsenal 2006 and can't score a goal?

Honestly, without Scolari, Portugal would be in a state of chaos with all their talent. You take for granted the balance he has brought to the side and think that this element would be there with any coach.