PORTUGAL VS URUGUAY 2018 FIFA World Cup Round of 16 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2018 FIFA World Cup
    Round of 16
    Saturday June 30, 2018
    2PM EST

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We should start Quaresma and Guedes on the wing. A Silva and Ronaldo up front. Bernardo and Mario on the bench unless they need to replace a CM...they are NOT wingers

NewLaw83, overheadkicks and Chop thug repped this.
  4. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Toronto FC / Santa Clara / benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Surprised we have only played them twice

NewLaw83 repped this.
  5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Basic Pros & Cons of facing Uruguay

Pros:

1.) Their build-up to get the ball to Suarez & Cavani is slow and predictable.
    2.) Have only been tested by average to below average teams this far.
    3.) Luck/Set peices is often needed for them to score goals (Which i find sensational)
    4.) They have better team work at the back than they do at the front.
    5.) They have no fans (Stadium will be like Sunday mass and our team won't have to deal with any harassment)

Cons:

1.)
    Suarez & Cavani (One touch can put the game to rest)
    2.) They don't concede.
    3.) Expect CR7 to be shut down.

6. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    First we are in the second round. I know everyone is bummed that we are playing Uruguay instead of Russia. Interesting note from that game is how Russia changed their tactics against Uruguay. Seemed as if Russia preferred coming in second and having there 2nd round match in Moscow rather than Sochi. Uruguay wasn’t impressive in their two 1-0 victories against Egypt and Saudi Arabia both teams that are inferior to Morocco and Iran. Fernando Santos needs to keep the starting lineup the same with one exception and that’s having Guedes back in the starting lineup. Guedes had some chances but failed to convert, I saw nothing out of Andre Silva in today’s game. As far as William, he’s outstanding but he needs to improve the consistency of his passing. It seems to me that when he gets the ball, he’s rushing.

7. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Everyone on twitter is saying this game is gonna be a card fest.

If we get through we will likely be depleted for the quarters.

Tabarez (Uruguay coach) and Santos kind of look alike.

8. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    2006 Redux, get the cards ready.

9. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Uruguay...once known as the switzerland of South America, a country with one of the highest literacy rates in the world, good at football and eating meat, and i hope Portugal kicks their ass.

parkben1 repped this.
  10. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Quaresma and Guedes. The pro of having Guedes over André Silva is that Goncalo have that speed and can create opportunities. I felt he could have been more dangerous if he played today.

11. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Like Switzerland they also have a beautiful country.

12. nickslb14

nickslb14 Member

Oct 23, 2014
    NJ
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Should be interesting to see how Uruguay comes out. If I had to guess, they'll stick to the 4-4-2 we saw in the first two games. This 3-man defense seems to have been just an attempt to get their strikers scoring.

We need to expose their outside backs, specifically the side opposite Caceres. Guillermo Varela was a Man United flop and we should be able to expose him. Unfortunately, crossing the ball into the box won't be very easy with Godin and Gimenez in the center.

Our midfield should be able to keep up with their's. Bentancur is a good little player, but other than him, no one very significant. Our goal needs to be to keep the ball away from Suarez and Cavani for as much as possible (obviously). Adrien proved that he's capable of doing a little bit of everything. A three-man midfield would be key here.

Cavani and Suarez, not sure what to expect out of them. Tons was expected and not much has produced. However with Cavani scoring today, it may have opened the floodgates.

Looking at Uruguay's goals, 5 of their 6 came during set pieces, the 6th was an own goal. With that being said, I would think Santos 110% focuses on set pieces during training.

My lineup:
    ------------------Patricio-------------------
    Cedric-----Pepe----Fonte----Guerreiro
    -----------William------Adrien------------
    Bernardo-------Moutinho--------Guedes
    ---------------------CR----------------------

I know, I know Guedes and Bernardo haven't been good. However we haven't played a team like Uruguay yet. Spain was strictly about possession. Uruguay somehow had less possession than Saudi Arabia and 58% against a mostly 10 man Russia. That says it should be a pretty even possession war. Iran and Morocco were strictly defensive counter attacking pests. I don't see that in Uruguay.

Vamos Portugal!!

JoseEmidio repped this.
  13. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay

It sounds like
    Uruguay was ours until the Brazilians declared independence and lost to them LOL

14. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hate playing against South American teams

They really hate us and it shows .

15. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    The fullbacks need to be changed. Guerreiro is not fit and Cedric is possibly Portugal's 4th best RB. They aren't providing anything down the flanks which is blunting the attack. Neves not being selected also looks worse with each passing game.

16. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are a lot of Uruguay fans in my neighborhood ....

17. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chop thug XI

--------------Patricio-------
    Cedric-----Pepe--fonte----Ricardo
    --------------William--Adrien--
    Quaresma------Bernardo----Guedes
    -----------------------CR7

JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  18. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's true. I hang out with lots of them and all they care about is South America > Europe and i just keep my mouth shut.

On the bright side, Uruguay is small and have little to no fans. Most of their fans are just bandwagoners from other south american countries that did not qualify.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Uruguay is my second favorite National team I have a soft spot for them but come Saturday that disappears.

If we could ever play to our abilities Uruguay is a team much like Netherlands or Belgium where they have good possession and attacking that normally would play into our normal strategy. However we are not really seeing that throughout this tournament so it's hard to say how the game will go.

I just hope Santos isn't just winging this whole keep wingers in the middle and CM's on the wing nonsense. Look how good Quaresma (a winger) was on THE WING. And how Mario and Bernardo (CMs) have been horrible at the Wing. Same goes for Guedes a winger playing up top in the middle. Maybe in a few years if he finds a goal scoring rhythm as a wide forward but not now it isn't working.

20. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yeah, from what i have gathered this early the 3 man back line for Uruguay we saw v Russia was because Gimenez picked up a small knock and wasnt even available off the bench. Expect him to be back v Portugal.

Also, their midfield is actualy very solid, and while the build up might be slow and predictable.. they are capable of maintaining possession when needed, and also able to win the ball back.. albeit with some aggression.

I wont lie, Portugal defending set pieces scares the shit out of me.. and it is the last thing i want to find ourselves in a habit of doing v Uruguay. We just seem to lose focus at times in terms of man marking abilities.. and Santos can train them all week on this, but, a few days is not going to solve the issues.

In regards to your formation, i think there is 0% chance we go with 1 forward to start the game.. we havent done that at all during the tournament (minus in game alterations) so there is no reason to think we will now.

Feel confident in saying Guedes will likely start up front with CR7.. both have experience playing against Atletico in Spain.. and can offer something with their speed and technical skill..

Would not surprise me to see Quaresma keep a role on the RW.. Bernardo just has not cut it at all.. this could be a good/bad thing.. good because Quaresma is more physical and can go h2h with the s.americans.. on the flip side.. Q-TIP also has a hot head and can easily find himself red carded..

We will play it safe v Uruguay and rely on counter attacks..

Last thing i want, but also something i can see transpiring is this game going to PK's... ******** ...

JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I love em, they're more inclined to be undisciplined and do dumb things, and generally their defending is worse than European teams.

22. CristianoQuaresma

Jun 14, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Alright guys, after all that craziness from the Iran game, we can finally breathe a little and be proud that we made it to the knockout stages. Let's not forget, we did so without playing great football nor did we play to our full capabilities. We all know that.

Iran was super defensive and very physical on our players. It also felt like they were playing at home! It was insane to see the amount of Iranians in the stands... and yes, as crazy as it may sound, I bet our players didn't get much sleep after their fans were seen causing mayhem around their hotel (to the point Ronaldo had to tell them to go to sleep)... That messes with people's heads.

They're gone now and we have to face Uruguay instead of Russia. As much as Uruguay pose an attacking threat with Cavani & filthy Suarez, I am confident we can deal with their pressure and kill them on the counter. They are very hot headed and if we can keep our discipline and composure, I could see a red card picked up by the dirty rat or another one of their players...

If we were to play Russia, it wouldn't be any better. They are AT HOME. The crowd is going to be INSANE and Spain will feel it. Also, Vladimir Putin scares me and I think he will ensure they go through. :ninja::D

Having said that, to be the best, you gotta BEAT THE BEST. Plain & Simple. This is the World Cup. All of our players should be stepping it up big time. I'm looking at you; Bernardo, Joao Mario, Guedes, Bruno... The positive is that these guys can do so much better than what they've shown in the group stage. Let's hope they got their nerves out of the way now.

In order to eliminate Uruguay, this is the line-up I would be prone to use:

--------------------Patricio--------------------
    Cedric-------Pepe----Fonte---Guerreiro
    -----------William---------Adrien------------
    Bernardo-------J.Mario----------Guedes
    ---------------------CR7-----------------------

4-2-3-1

Joao Mario would be effective if you got him playing through the middle as a #10. I don't know why he's being misplaced and same goes to Bernardo, however, he does have experience playing on the right wing-ish. He can cut on the inside and swap places with Mario, I think it would work great.

Guedes has to be on the left wing. He is quick as hell on the counter and also provides more defensive help when we don't have possession. I think that kid is a starter and the more he plays, the better for us. He will get his goal.

Never been a fan of Ronaldo alone up front, however, we need to clog the midfield and not let their key players get the ball (Cavani & Dirty Rat). Goncalo and Bernardo will join Ronaldo up front during counters and we will do damage.

VAMOS PORTUGAL! WE GOT THIS!!!

23. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Very glad to be in the knockouts, the rollercoaster begins. Uruguay's physical play is going to be a problem, Morocco and Iran both tried it although Morocco was more of an unrelenting press, but both frustrated us. As someone said we are a different beast in the knockouts.

Just took the afternoon off to watch...

CristianoQuaresma repped this.
  24. CristianoQuaresma

Jun 14, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Exactly... Portugal is made for the knockouts. We can defend well (although people think we don't) and we can counter and do damage up front. We are a pretty balanced team with experience and youth. I still believe we are stronger than in the EURO 2016 win and I'm obviously hoping our young stars make a statement against Uruguay.

Bernardo Silva can do SO MUCH better... and he will!

25. CristianoQuaresma

Jun 14, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Let's take a look at our opponents, shall we?

Goalie: F. Muslera - 32 years old, 1.90m tall, plays for Galatasaray

Centre Back: S. Coates - 27 years old, 1.96m tall, plays for Sporting
    Centre Back: D. Godin - 32 years old, 1.85m tall, plays for Atletico Madrid
    Centre Back: M. Caceres - 31 years old, 1.78m tall, plays for Lazio

Defensive Mid: L. Torreira - 22 years old, 1.68m tall, plays for Sampdoria
    Mid: N. Nandez - 22 years old, 1.71m tall, plays for Boca Juniors
    Mid: M. Vecino - 26 years old, 1.89m tall, plays for Inter
    Mid: R. Bentancur - 21 years old, 1.87m tall, plays for Juventus
    Mid: D. Laxalt - 25 years old, 1.78m tall, plays for Genoa

Forward: L. Suarez - 31 years old, 1.82m tall, plays for Farcelona
    Forward: E. Cavani - 31 years old, 1.88m tall, plays for P$G

This is their most consistent line-up and I believe the coach will stick to this line-up against us.

Their defense and attack are pretty solid on paper. That is why I believe we should clog the midfield and ensure we get most possession. Cut the supply to the dirty rat & Cavani and they will be very limited.

What y'all think?