Pre-match: Portugal vs. Sweden 2010 World Cup Qualifier 28/03/09

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by F.P.F.4life, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let me get this straight. We need to win. We need to score. So you want 7 defensive players to start? Worst lineup I've seen in a real long time.

A lineup like that would see us pass the ball at center half all game then in the last 10 minutes sub in 2 more attackers and desperately try to win in the last 5 minutes.

We'd probably concede a goal on the counter attack to boot.

2. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    -------------Eduardo-----------
    ---------Carvalho--Pepe-------
    Bosingwa-------------------Duda
    ---------Meireles---Maniche-------
    Simao--------Danny---------Ronaldo
    --------------Almeida----------------

if Deco is fit take out Simao considering recent events and put Danny there.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What is everyone talking about here. What happened in regards to Simaozinho's fam?

4. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    [​IMG]

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Damn, this actually seems like it happens often in Portugal. I always hear stories of kids or people getting sucked into the ocean while swimming, rock jumping...

Does anyone know what beach or coastal area it happened at?

6. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Simao- It's really sad about his nephew. But we have no idea how he'll play in response to this situation. Different people have very, very different responses to these kinds of situations. Only the coach and those players close to him will be able to tell - from training, etc - if he's mentally fit to play. I hope, and I predict, that he'll be ready to play. He's had an awesome season and he's our best crosser/dead ball kicker - by far. We need him.

Nani- Sophomore slump at ManU. That's true. But I agree with Joel - he's still an explosive sub; questionable decisions or not, he's a live wire that injects energy into the team (Quaresma, by contrast, is far less reliable as a sub).

Moutinho- I'm with GoodD. on this. A small midfield against a big team? Hmm, I wonder if we have any past examples to draw on? Hmm, Germany-Portugal in the summer. That went well... Or Bayern Munich - Sporting... Did you happen to see what Luca Toni did to Sporting's defense? It was embarrassing. Bottom line: Moutinho is a defensive liability against a burly midfield and he doesn't scare anybody on offense. Using the example of B.Munich's goal is ludicrous given the final score...

I predict, if the expected players are healthy:
    --------------Eduardo---------
    ----Bos-Carvalho-Pepe-Duda---
    ----Meireles-Maniche or Tiago--
    ----Ronaldo-Danny-Simao------
    -----------Hugo---------------

What I don't understand is who the hell is supposed to replace Hugo at the 70' mark? CQ only called up one striker.

-Alex

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hes probably move either Nani or Ronaldo into the striker spot. Hes done both before.

8. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
  9. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Jesus... because Ronaldo as single striker has worked so well in the past...

:eek:

10. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol??????
    You're kidding?

The only "defensive players" in my line-up are Carvalho, Alves & Pepe... how'd you come up with 7? Duda and Bosingwa are Wing-backs to begin with, and Maniche and Meireles are better going forward than defending.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah but Raul and Maniche are still DM's.

12. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A vital player that sits on the Man United bench? I thought are Seleccao was better than that. It's no secret Queiroz has a crush on Nani. Besides scoring against the Faroe Islands, what's he done?

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nani has more goals this season, in about 1/4th of the playing time compared to last season for Manchester United. He is usually the 1st person off the bench after Tevez.

Its not a crush, Nani is a good player. If he wasn't competing with about 4 players for that single LW spot, he wouldn't be forcing thing to much to prove himself. As soon as Giggs retires, you can rest assured he will be a starting LW.

14. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Look, they can obviously sit back, but what I'm saying is that they're better when they're attacking. Queiroz said he'd adopt the Porto 4-3-3 which will fit perfectly with my starting 11. Only one "trinco" and 5 players pushing forward.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, but that 4 - 3 - 3 is basically what we play with now isn't it? They only slight difference being that sometimes the two CDM, one will be acting more like a CM. The system isn't going to change that much.

16. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal has traditionally played with 2 DMs, while Porto has only played with 1. If Queiroz really is going to adopt Porto's 4-3-3, then Meireles and Maniche won't be playing DM.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Okay, but thats the thing. If we are going to adapt a formation as such, then we basically have to adapt our personnel.

Usually this is what we do as of late...

Portugal Midfield Formation

..... DM .... DM ......
    ......... CAM .........

ex:

... Raul ... Maniche ...
    ......... Deco .........

Porto Midfield formation

......... DM .........
    ... CM ...... CM ...

..... Fernando....
    Raul ........ Lucho

So for us to use this type of formation, we would need to basically find a purely DM, which we really don't have at the moment. But if we were to use that formation, this is what I would do, especially since we are trying to be more "Offensive".

......... Raul .......
    Manny ....... Maniche

This is why is basically why I don't see the point in running this "Porto" formation, because nothing really changes. Manny isn't going to be inserted. Raul, whether he plays infront of the triangle or in the back will still do what he does on a regular basis, as will Maniche.

We should go for a 4 - 4 - 2 if we want to be more offensive. Ronaldo and Simao out on the wing, Hugo upfront, Danny in behind the striker, and then just put Maniche and Raul as the CM's.

18. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe is the closest thing to a DM that we got. None of the CMs called up are bulldogs like Pepe.

If you want to compare the NT to Porto: Pepe will play the Fernando role, Meireles will play his role and Maniche will play Lucho's role. It's simple, yet you guys come in here saying my formation was "too defensive". Porto only defend with Alves Rolando and Fernando. And the NT can defend with Carvalho Alves and Pepe. It's not rocket-science.

19. AMI1998

AMI1998 New Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Club:
    Esteghlal
    i believe if portugal fails to get a positive result against sweden, carlos queiroz must fired. if cq fails to qualify portugal, same thing will happen like wcq 1994 . He failed to qualify portugal for wc in that time too.

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2 defensive mids is the stupidest thing in the world for the Portuguese national team. Proof is in Every single game. But until we get a real manager we will NEVER change. (oh unless we are down a goal with 5 minutes left :rolleyes:)

21. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Any explanation for why Edinho was added after the first wave of players? Probably a good idea because we had no other striker on the team besides Hugo Almeida. Edinho should see significant time against South Africa

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He really should though. I have only watched Youtube highlights of him (Yes I know it is a rather poor assesment of a player overall ability), but he seems really athletic, he might be able to get almost as high as Almeida does in the air, and is definitly more mobile on the ground. Can't really tell if hes a finsher or not, but he has some well taken goals. He looks like a combination of Djalo and Almeida, although lacking the later ball control.

Whatever, lets just concentrate on this game first. Because the SA game really will not be cared for should we not come up with a positive result aganst Sweden. I am hopeful, but I am very nervous.

23. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ok so lets confirm the call ups

Guarda-Redes:
    Daniel Fernandes (VFL Bochum 1848)
    Eduardo (SC Braga)
    Beto (Leixões SC)

Defesas:
    Bruno Alves (FC Porto)
    Gonçalo Brandão (AC Siena)
    Pepe (Real Madrid)
    Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea FC)
    Nélson (Bétis Sevilha)
    Bosingwa (Chelsea FC)
    Rolando (FC Porto)

Médios:
    Deco (Chelsea FC)
    João Moutinho (Sporting CP)
    Maniche (Atletico Madrid)
    Raúl Meireles (FC Porto)
    Duda (Málaga CF)
    Tiago (Juventus FC)

Avançados:
    Danny (FC Zenit)
    Simão (Atlético Madrid)
    Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen)
    Nani (Manchester Utd)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester Utd)
    Edinho (AEK Atenas)

added Edinho to the list.

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is Edinho the player that was to be "added at a later date" or was he originally included in the list?

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I believe hes the new addition.

btw this squad doesnt contain 1 pure DM