Pre-match: Portugal vs. Sweden 2010 World Cup Qualifier 28/03/09

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by F.P.F.4life, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F.P.F.4life

F.P.F.4life New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I really like these call ups

Sweden game:

------------------------Hilario/Eduardo---------------------------

Bosingwa---------Pepe-------R.Carvalho--------------Duda-

Ronaldo----------Maniche-----Deco-----------------Simao

-----------------Danny--------Almeida----------------------

Subs:
    Orlando Sa (on if were winning at the end )
    Nani
    Quaresma
    Pedro Mendes ( on for maniche if we need to defend)
    Bruno ( on for ricardo c. if where winning for energy)

South Africa:

-------------------------Daniel Fernandes----------------------

Nelson--------------Bruno----------Rolando-----------Miguel

Nani--------Manuel Fernandes--- Raul Meireles------Quaresma

--------------------Orlando Sa----Helder Postiga---------------

Subs:
    Eliseu
    Hilario
    Duda
    Brandao
    Edinho
    Moutinho
    Beto

My opinion

FORCA PORTUGAL

SO HAPPY BOTH FERNANDES ARE GETTING CALLED UP

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm liking your picks but for both games CQ can only pick 23 players and you have about 31 guys selected for the 2 games. The names mentioned were pre-selected players meaning of those 38, 23 will be picked.

Eduardo
    Fernandes
    Beto (SA Game)

Carvalho
    Pepe
    Bosingwa
    Duda
    Meira
    Brandao (SA Game)
    Goncalves (SA Game)

Maniche
    Mendes
    Deco
    Danny
    Tiago
    Nani
    Fernandes

Ronaldo
    Simao
    Quaresma
    Almeida
    Sa (SA Game)
    Eliseu (SA Game)

The "SA Game" players should be featured for more then a half in the friendly and not necessarily play anything vs Sweden unless we are in a comfortable position.

I like my call ups outside the (SA Players0 you can field a good side with any of the players mentioned, but am sure CQ will pick some players who I feel have no business being called and will likely start or be subbed in.

Postiga instead of Eliseu makes sense to have a regular mobile out and out striker as I'm sure Sa is too young to get that call and Gomes is being shifted out. Although 1 or both will surely be called I left them out of my fantasy lineup.

I am happy that CQ has went public and named almost 40 players that are on his watch. Scolari usually just named the main squad a week before hand. Pedro Mendes is coming back from injury I hope he can get in some games and impress, he's been outstanding at every team he has been on and I can only imagine what he could bring if he's paired with Maniche at DM.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    38 players...Wow...has Carlos lost his mind a little bit? I like the Manuel Fernandes, and Pedro Mendes callups.

Also, it just came to me but since Paulo Ferreira is out for the rest of the season, technically there might be 1 spot available for the RB/LB spot. Nelson, may very well claim that, he has been playing brilliantly for Betis this season, offensively and defensively.

I also like the Edinho call up. I haven't seen too much of him, but he seems to pop up in the news here and there.... Wouldn't mind seeing him for the SA game.

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's a pre-selection Joels. It's a pool of players he has narrowed down in order to focus on what 23 he will select for the games. Scolari has never done that but Domenech regularly does it for France.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I know. Im curious though, do the 38 players that he named participate in the Portugal training sessions?

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here's where the 38 pre-selected play

Portugal (13):
    Porto = 3
    Sporting = 3
    Braga = 2
    Benfica = 2
    Leixoes = 1
    Setubal = 1
    Amadora = 1

Spain (9):
    Atletico Madrid = 2
    Valencia = 2
    Malaga = 2
    Betis = 2
    Real Madrid = 1

England (7):
    Chelsea = 5
    Mancheter United = 2

Germany (3):
    Werder Bremen = 1
    Bochum = 1
    Nuremberg =1

Italy (2):
    Juventus = 1
    Siena = 1

Russia (1):
    Zenit = 1

Scotland (1):
    Rangers = 1

Turkey (1):
    Galatassaray = 1

Greece (1):
    AEK = 1

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Most likely no, the players come in a couple of days before the game. The team is selected a week prior to the first game. There could be a few extra Portugal based players at the training sessions though. My guess is 26-28 guys at the training sessions.

I doubt that CQ will select 2 sides for each game using more then 23 players. I've never seen it done although I'm sure many clubs would be in favor if their players came back following the Sweden game and we fill their spots with new guys for the South Africa game.

8. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    One thing that would be fun to re-try at some point (definitely _not_ on an important game) would be a 4-4-2. Now, given Ronaldo's playing style, the only way the team can play a 4-4-2 is if Ronaldo is _not_ in the midfield. Given his prowess in the air and speed it would be fun to put him up front with -say- Almeida. Then, assuming Quaresma continues to mature, have Quaresma as right-winger. Both Quaresma and Simao can track back, both have average/good speed, both have average/good dribbling, and, most importantly, both can cross well. This would allow us to play with 2 midfielders - one of Maniche/Mendes/Fernandes and one of Deco/Danny. And it would allow us to put a lot more pressure on the opponent's Center Backs. Both Almeida and Ronaldo could threaten in the air and Ronaldo could burn the backs for speed.

We need to be able to do this at some point. Right now, Portugal is an incredibly predictable team. Always the damn 4231 with crappy lone striker starved of the ball and reliance on magic solo play from the wide players. Other teams know to force Ronaldo way back or way wide. Then he crosses to a single Forward who is double-teamed. We need to have some alternative to this formula. Ronaldo has yet to show he can play Forward; perhaps a good start would be to put him in a 2-forward set with good wingers. That would give us a different look and maximize our talents.

My 2 cents,
    -A.

9. F.P.F.4life

F.P.F.4life New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Alrite so after this champions league last 16 we could see how the portuguese that where called up for the 38 preconvocados played since its the highest stage for club playing:

Sporting played awful yet players like Joao and Miguel V. showed some glittering moments like that golazo of joao. But I cannot rate them since i turned off the tv when Aggregate reached 9-1

Porto played an amazing team work game as Raul Meireles played brilliant. Incredible vision and passing, Bruno Alves was also very very solid with Rolando.

Athletico played well and Simao and Maniche did there job very well, especially Simao how he bled his heart out with his pace and pass in the first half.

Man Utd played great football but since only Cristiano played we cant really talk, he is undiscutably our greatest right wing at the moment. Played great, lets see how he plays with portugal.

Chelsea played solid with great defensive attack from Bosingwa.

Juventus played a good game against Chelsea and Tiago was one of there best players in midfield with great pass and pace.

Real Madrid´s Pepe played a struggling good game for himself. Was tugged by torres for the first goal when everyone blamed him for badly passing back to casillas. But tried to struggle from the mistakes of Canna. Lets see how his CB partner for Portugal will combine with him to create a better defence.

Portugal player of the Champions Last 16:

Raul Meireles/ Ronaldo

both did there job and more.

10. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    What formation does Man U. play in? Cristiano is prolific there. I'm sure this must have occurred to QC since he was the assistant coach. Guess he doesn't think it's a good idea.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looks like I was wrong with the pre selected stuff. CQ will in fact have 23 guys for the Sweden game then sub in 15 guys for the South Africa clash.

Safe to say that the majority (not all) of Ronaldo, Deco, Danny, Maniche, Simao, Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe, Almeida, Nani, Bosingwa, Miguel, will not be used vs South Africa.

This is good as I am positive Pedro Mendes will get a start for Portugal and show what he can do.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets hope we win against Sweden, or else this second game will have practically no importance.

13. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Decos gone for the rest of the season, ********.

By far our best mid the past matches..i still remember his performance vs Denmark..sensational..deserved to be on a winning team that game.

Come on querioz, nows the time to play Danny behind the striker!!

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This can be Danny break through. I swear to go if Danny does not start in behind the strike in that CAM role...I will break my head.

15. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I also think Danny should start as the #10. I'll be surprised if he does, though. The NT coaches never seem to do what makes sense to us.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I know, but who else is CQ going to throw in there? Hugo Viana. Danny basically plays that CAM. FW position for Zenit, and he plays it well. Why not allow him the oppertunity.

Because if I see Moutinho in there...instead of Danny, I don't want to knock Moutinho's ability, but the far more offensive, and attacking player is Danny.

17. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I know that, and you know that, but we'll see how CQ screws it up.

I'm more worried about who are the two midfielders that are going to play behind Danny. Maniche and Manny Fernandes haven't been playing. Tiago doesn't excite me. Pdero Mendes never gets a chance. Rual Meireles may have to start but he doesn't excite me either. Who is going to anchor our midfield?

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have been looking at Raul, he has been getting increasingly better. He was very good against Atletico during both legs. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the DM spot...The only knock against him that I have is that he tends to favor one side when passing the ball.

We could partner him with Maniche no?

19. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I think you're right. But I thought I just read something like Maniche wasn't even dressed for Atletico's last game. That worries me. What's going on there?

I think Manny Fernandes has the most talent, but I never get to see him play anymore. He can run like the dickens and steal the ball from anyone. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there, assuming he's the same player I remember.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He is, his ball control and passing is still some of the best I have seen, anywhere from that CM position. But he is a streaky player, thats why if we were to partner him in the Midfield, we would have to make sure that the DM would be just that, a out and out DEFENSIVE minded player. The reason being sometimes he does not track back as fast as he should from the advanced offensive positions that he gets himself in.

21. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    ------------------Eduardo----------------
    ---------Pepe---------------Carvalho-------
    Bosingwa---------------------------------Duda
    ------------Meireles-----Maniche----------------
    ---Simao----------Danny-------------Ronaldo----
    ------------------Almeida/Gomes-----------------

Subs:
    Nani
    Quaresma
    Moutinho
    Fernandes
    Meira
    Miguel
    Moriera/Quim

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^

That's the most likely lineup alright. Just Ronaldo and Simao will be switched at the start then switch sides whenever Ronaldo feels like it.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. I can see CQ putting Moutinho either in Danny's spot or Maniches...which would be, in my opinion, not the smartest move.

24. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    I bet queiroz will play

meireles----Tiago
    ------Moutinho----

:(

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^

we'll easily lose with that line up rr we'll easily draw 0-0.

Sweden is without Zlatan the majority of the game will see us with the ball. It will be an absolute joke when we field 2 trincos to defend nothing and slow down our attack when we need to WIN.
    The only way to win is to score,
    the only way to score is to attack,
    the only way to attack is to get guys up front. So CQ what will we do?
    Start 2-3 defensive mids and put a lazy target man up front by himself with 3-4 defenders on him.

Sounds great, no way that could fail....again :rolleyes:

All we need is Maniche as the sole Trinco backing Danny. Put 2 guys up front and watch the goals come.