Portugal vs Spain Friendly

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ScpBoy77, Jun 4, 2021.

1. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    #1 ScpBoy77, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Decided to make a thread. Spain has been controlling the first 15 minutes. Can't seem to get the ball. Might be one of those games where we'll need to capitalize on any counter attacks we get.

Portugal XI

Rui Patrício; Raphael Guerreiro, José Fonte, Pepe, Semedo; Renato Sanches, Danilo, Sérgio Oliveira; Diogo Jota, João Félix, Ronaldo

JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. Bacalhau

Bacalhau Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Anyone have a link?

3. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    HandofAbel repped this.
  4. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not watching. Seems like they are playing a 4-2-3-1 and are playing like garbage. Can anyone confirm this?

5. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    I can confirm this. Spain has the majority of possession. It's a classic Spain game. We've defended somewhat well though.

HandofAbel repped this.
  6. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    0-0 HT. Spain has pretty much been in control the entire half. We'll need to bury our counter attack opportunities if we want to win this match.

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    We are getting creamed in midfield and our keeper can’t make a pass today. Turning ball over every time. Don’t like the combination of Sergio and Danillio out there .

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's fairly astonishing how easily Nelson Semedo can be dribbled past when a winger has him one on one - doesn't matter if he's playing against Spain or Aston Villa.

This has gone exactly how one might expect it would if someone told you Danilo and Oliveira started together and it went poorly. I also have to say that against tough opposition Ronaldo and Felix just don't work well together at this point. Against Lithuania? Sure. But not when the opponent has more possession and Portugal needs to win it back.

eurodad and ScpBoy77 repped this.
  9. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Pote on for João Felix.

10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Still Spain on the front foot. Morato has missed three chances this half already, two wide of goal.

Portugal looks a little more lively in attack than in the first half, with a little more possession. But that isn't saying much since the first half felt like it was 80-20.

11. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    JOTA with a golden chance! Great work by Ronaldo creating space to get that cross off. Jota was inches close!

12. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    2nd half has been an improvement so far with the substitutions FS has added. Applying a little more pressure helps also.

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Imagine outscoring Haaland in the same league, but on a shittier team, and still getting 0 minutes in a friendly game.

Need a new coach.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  14. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    FS is a good coach, but I don't think he's the right coach for this team. I agree. We lack creativity, which is absurd considering the amount of talent we have in this team.

15. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

FS is a clubismo Lampiao who forces inferior players on to the team simply because of what club they came from or play for. There's no other logical explanation for things he does. Either that, or he's mentally handicapped.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  16. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    He surely has his favorites.

17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Dreadful. Morata missed like six chances after halftime alone with a breakaway shot off the crossbar (instead of squaring it to a completely unmarked teammate at the penalty spot) topping it off in the 90th.

I agree about Santos right now. At this rate he'll set up too defensively in a couple weeks and Portugal will get knocked out after a meek performance like this, which honestly looked like something we'd have seen under Queiroz.

But I guess this is what friendlies are for.

18. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Some of you are taking this game a little too seriously, FS was clearly using this game as a massive experiment when you look at the players he started and all the substitutions. We were playing with one full time CB for the second half which alone tells me that he did not care much about the result of this game.

This game has given FS alot of data, and it should be enough to help him for the euros. We have enough talent to make it out of the group stages even with us being in the group of death.

19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Dreadful coaching and preparation for this game . FS still, even at this stage does not know his players., how the gel he had Sergio and Danillio on there. How the hell did he not start Mendes ? Felix has had 100 chances. Forget about it . I like the Sporting midfield, makes a difference when players used to playing with each other. I did like how Sanches played today !!

20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I get what you are saying but by this stage in the game, he should know his players and we should play more our starters so that they get used to playing with each other. Most of our players never player together.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It is important to not overreact to a friendly, but we also have to call it like we see it. Portugal was outplayed badly for 90 minutes and is in a Euro 2020 group with Germany, France and a host country.

Also, Portugal mostly played like garbage across three games during the last international break. When bad performances keep happening regardless of the lineup or the strength of the opponent or the location or the setup, that's a bad sign.

22. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is like when a victim of domestic violence tries to defend their abusers actions

Was he collecting data at the last world cup as well? How about the last qualifiers. I hope this data is put to use some day

SCP_16 repped this.
  23. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Horrific.

Time to turtle and pray like in 2016, Santos style.

With the team we possess that's a crime against humanity.

24. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #24 prodigal_mind, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Also i thought i would just point out, Fonte was absolute trash. Most of spains chances were due to him fking up. IF either Pepe or Dias gets injured in this tournament we are DONE.

Sergio Oliveiras impact in the game was equivalent to posting black squares to solve racism.

William looked slower than usual, hes done.

On a positive note, Spain looked trash and have zero chance of being champions

25. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    years of international football watching taught me that pre-tournament friendly games are as accurate predictors of how well a team will as cripto currency/stock tips

NewLaw83, JoseEmidio and Bacalhau repped this.