Portugal vs Luxembourg WC Qualifier Nov 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by leafster, Nov 10, 2004.

1. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Cristiano Ronaldo plays another 90' for Portugal. SAF must be fuming. Carlos Queiroz must be losing his bearings about now. I'm guessing Scolari wants to see how Quaresma plays with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo. But I think he should of subbed Quaresma for Ronaldo. Cristiano needs um descanco (is that how you spell it - rest)

2. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Ya but he isn't the only one that needs a rest. Deco played just over one half (and he asked for that) and we all now that Costinha had that concusion. Plus Maniche has looked tired all year.

I guess he could have taken out Ronaldo instead of Boa Morte at the Half.

3. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Pauleta again

5-0

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    2nd goal by Pauleta, his second
    5 away from Eusebio

Luxemburg-0-Portugal-5

5. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Final Score
    Portugal 5 Luxembourg 0

Portugal has the best record in the group and in European Qualifications

6. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    He has to break this record. You guys have Luxembourg, Leichtenstein and Latvia to play at home. Pedro will eat these teams up.

I just hope that he really sets a new standard and completely makes a tough target for his potential competitors.....:)

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    he will silence some of his critic's

8. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    Vai Acoriano, Vai marcar mais 5 golos Pauleta.

9. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I only seen the last 10 minutes of the game, can anybody tell me how Boa Morte Played!

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    like everybody else, nothing to brag about

11. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    did Quaresma play well or not?

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    just like everybody else, he did a couple play's on the left and they keep calling Quaresma, Ronaldo
    most be the hairdo :eek:

13. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    He played like the way he has played in previous NT games. He played one half and squandered three chances deep in the attacking end. Once he was inside the area and lost the ball. Another, he had Ribeiro streaking down the wing, but failed to pass the ball and lost it. And, another chance with space in the box he lobbed a chip shot into the keeper's hands. His "goal" came when Pauleta crossed it low to him and with the entire net in his beckon call he managed to almost f*** that one up when he launched it off the top of the cross bar. Luckily, the ball ricoched off the crossbar and off the back of the goalkeeper and into the net.

Face it, Boa Morte is a bench player for the National Team. I'd much rather have Quaresma, Ronaldo, and Simao play the wings. I like Simao and Ronaldo in there at the same time because both can play either wing well and often switch wings during the game. That's a huge advantage to have in my opinion.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Simao and Ronaldo will be the starter's for know, Boa Morte will still be a sub, and Quaresma will be the other sub special against teams like Slovakia

his going to have to win the spot, Scolari his not going to give it away, his going to work hard for it

15. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    How did portugal look with Quaresma??

did he do anyhting fo note??

was the portugeuse attack more deafdly and penetrating wiht him in?

16. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ATTENTION BEFICA FANS: BOA PLAYED BETTER THAN OUR HERO LETS START THE BASHING!!

First off he tried a cross that was blocked got back the ball while on the floor and the ref handed the ball to Lux despite the fact they were holdin him down. Ronaldo was blocked on crosses durring the game as well so bad mouth him too.

When he got in the area and 'lost' the ball their were three defenders on him, it only takes ONE or none on Simao. His lob to the goalie was a poor cross yes, but Jesus Simao misses the net how many times a game when he shoots? He conected only one agaist Russia.

His 'goal' would count as his in acouple of months when Fifa reasses what should be considered an own goal that I read on their site, but hell he was sprinting in and slid to connect, so what Simao would never make it there.

He generated turn overs and made a beautiful pass to Deco in the defensive end that Deco messed up in a pass to Pauletta.

All this in the first when LUX were all behind the half as they were more open in the second trying to score. Compare one half where he rightfully scored and played hard to Simao's four games of give away's, coasting and oh yes 1 goal. Quaresma was OK but didn't play as well as Boa. Boa puts himself in the action, he doesn't wait for a pretty play like Simao.

18. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    didn't watch the game but i have seen boa play on a number of occasions this season and he is a quality player and deserves a run of first team games to prove himself, simao hasn't shown his best form for portugal and quaresma still needs to grow into a national team player, boa is fast and he is an excellent finisher, he plays with one striker at fulham so knows the system and is good at getting to the box as a second striker when the ball is on the opposite wing, he is perfect for portugals system and i hope scolari has a little faith.

from what i heard no one played exceptionally well so if boa didn't have a great game you cant look to much into this one game.

19. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    ARE U NUTS? Boa Morte sucked!!! He didn't do anything when he had the ball. All of his passes went know where. He scored but it was given to him. He was awful today. The whole time I was cursing his name! Quaresma played better when he had the ball. He made a beautiful pass to Pauleta with the outside of his foot. and also some nice crosses and got some fouls.

On a side note... Today I noticed we have way too many defensive mids... We need to call up Viana or Carlos Martins.Becuase once Deco's out... we look lost in the middle...

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Funny everytime I watch Simao I curse his name for playing like a prissy bitch.
    It was given to him? Out sprinting defenders and sliding to a ball is a hand out? ridiculous. Quaresma made 1 nice pass so did Boa, the difference? Q in the offensive Boa in the defensive. Boa in the box was fouled and should of been an in-direct free kick that wasn't called 'cause face it the refs knew there was a mismatch and helped LUX with any minor calls. The fact is even on the FLOOR 1 man can't get the ball off Boa anyone that can honestly say the same about Simao can go back to Wonderland and drink tea with king arthur and his knights that cosist of the 7 dwarfs, because they are Insane.

I said I'd eat my words if he played bad and he didn't, he was the hardest working, most visible player besides C.Ronaldo in the first half, he messed up when he had 3 players on him boo friggin hoo.

21. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Carlos Martins will be a good option soon but not quite yet and I want to see Viana play well over a few months before I say whether he belongs or not. For now, he's ok on the under-21 team.

As far as Boa Morte goes, I thought he played alright but I still don't think he's good enough for the NT and I don't think he's as good as Quaresma. I mean come on, we had Figo and R. Costa playing in the midfield and everyone they played against feared them. No team will fear a midfield with Boa Morte in it..not now and not in 2006. He's a temp bench player until someone else takes his place. That postition is for Quaresma or Simao in my mind.

22. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yea, Simao might be a hero to some Benfica fans, but from the looks of your name, Boa Morte must be something more than a hero to you. Boa Morte is not good enough for the National team. Boa Morte will never be half as good a player that Simao is. I don't even hate Boa Morte, I think he's a good player for his English club, but he's just not good enough to start for Portugal, he plays the same sucky way all the time. Simao has shown at times how good he is on the National team, in my opinion Simao has earned his starting position on the National team. You obvisouly hate Simao for whatever reason, and no matter how good he plays you will always put him down.

23. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    F~ck, can we have some impartial opinions only. I don't give a sh~t when a poster named "I'd be Boa's bitch" raves about Boa Mortes' play or some guy named "I'll kneel and bob for Benfica" raves about Simao. Or for that matter any biased opinion on the inclusion of Postiga, Quaresma, or Tiago for that matter. WE WANT UNBIASED POSTS ONLY. WE LAUGH AT ALL YOUR BIASED POSTS. THEY MAKE US LAUGH OR WE IGNORE THEM <<< NOTICE CAPS.

Who's the best option to flank Cristiano Ronaldo on the opposite wing? Easy answer! What have you done for me lately is all I gotta say. When one of these clowns actually score a brace (2 goals), or assist on every goal, they will be crowned successor to FIGO. At the moment I'd give my nod to absolutely none. All are probably the best players on their respective teams, so they have some class in terms of play. I'd include all three of these guys (Simao, Boa Morte, Quaresma - in no order), and make it a revolving door until one of these guys buckles down and thinks he's FIGO, if only temporarily (length of WC 2006), and the rest buckle under to the pressure of performing at optimum.

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let him play good once durring this WC campaign and I'll get off him. Yeah I'm a fan of Boa ever since he helped fulham get into the premiership seeing how noone else wanted him enough and he perceviered, now he's got to do the same with the NT.

Simao isn't the worst player but for the praise he receives good god! Who was it giving player ranks for the first 3 games? I remember you guys giving him the same marks as Ronaldo why? for no reason your just used to thinking he played well from past years with Benfica.

Let me guess you think I'm clueless, this isn't the first time I've noted an overrated player that people loved for no reason only for months or years to pass before they see it too.

For those of you in T-O how long did it take for you to say that Larry Murphy,
    Todd Gill, Dave Ellet, or more recently Shayne Corson sucked and needed to leave? durring their last season when the voice of the fans was enough to get rid of them, meanwhile I was waiting three years for guys like that to be recognised for the garbage they are/were.

Here's one right now Brian McCabe - Captain give away and dumb penalties who has a good shot thats not conecting like years past. But everyone in
    T-O is in love with him because supposedly he's tough (thats why Chara tossed him like a doll in the playoffs) he's not tuff he's dirty and misses his stupid hip check 75% of the time and never uses his shoulder 'cause he's scared. Sounds like I'm talkin non-sense but wait when the NHL resumes sooner or later they all get exposed same will happen to Simao. Boa's is not the greatest and maybe next year or next game he will lose his drive and I WILL call him on it, unlike those who are die hard fans.

25. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    wtf, i think we didn't see the same game, Boa Morte was SOOOOO BAD
    Simão is always a crap, but any game of him is better than this one of Boa Morte. Boa Morte failed an easy goal in front of the goalie, and went in the bar, and then luxemburg's CB touched the ball and scored an own goal, even my grand mother could have scored that goal, and Boa Morte failed :confused: