Portugal vs Luxembergh Game[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Roy Da Silva, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Re: Portugal vs Luxembergh Pre-Game[R]

He will have to play well to catch Scolari's eye. I dunno, maybe Scolari thinks he's too inexperienced to be a starter.

2. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

But why does he call Quim who will be on the bench for most of this season?

I like Koeman's mentaly, when you have 2 goalies of equal qualities you pick the youngest.

3. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

He did this last year as well..when Quim was still backup to Moreira. I didn't agree with it then, but I can't complain about the way he has played. He's a stable keeper.

There's obviously something about Moreira that doesn't impress Scolari.

4. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

At the end of the day who cares of what team he picks as long as they win and give us a wc06 title, i am ok.

5. Black and White

Black and White BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 23, 2005
    Canada

The worst Goalie in your League would be just fine. Look at who you are playing. Hello your not playing a real team here.

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

Same here. If we won, Arieas could be on the team for all I care.

7. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

They could even use Carlitos as a starter.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

What? Carvalho and Andrade did all the work and he still let in crappy goals vs Greece, England and then Greece again. And as far as the qualifiers you must of missed the Estonia game where players missed open nets thanks to Ricardo's blunders not even mentioning the Lichtenstein game where he was at his most pathetic.
    Quim is no better, Portugal got's 3 good goalies who deserve a chance and I'll go in order best to 3rd best

1. Vitor Baia - FC Porto
    2. Paulo Santos - SC Braga
    3. Morreira - SL Benfica

9. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

Regardless of all that Baia always had a great defence in front of him, and i have seen him mess up as badly as Ricardo, but he seems to be protected by the media and nobody mentions his blunders.

Paulo Santos is good but not NT good.

Moreira is a shoe in, but he normally starts for the U21 team.

10. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005

People should just drop Baia. Short of Ricardo and Quim having degenerative diseases, we will continue to see the both of them feature for the Seleccao. As far as Moreira goes..he hasn't played with the Under-21's for a while now. He's too old for the Under21's.

I haven't agreed with everything Scolari has done...but u can't go with a 22 year old keeper like Moreira in Euro and WC games. I'd rather go with a veteran.

11. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

So who would you pick?

12. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

Baia won't be there, nor will Santos. So what you're saying really is that you would go with Moreira at the moment.
    Anyway we slice it our goalie situation is just pathetic. IMO at some point you have to go with either Quim or Moreira, whichever proves to be better for the NT gets the torch. What better time than now to find out.

13. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

Specially against Lux. To me Moreira is a valid option, but i am still not convinced that Ricardo cannot pick up the pieces and have a great game for the NT.

I just can't picture anybody else on that net. Scolari has him picked from the momment he took command of the team.

14. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada

I love it. Ricardo has just lost his job to Nelson at least for this weekend. Now Moriera is the starting goalie for Benfica and Quim the backup. Nelson as the starter and Ricardo as the backup. However it is Ricardo and Quim that are on our National Team

15. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

A weird situation no doubt about it. But some players perform better for the NT than for the club and vice-versa. I will only believe Ricardo won't play for Sporting this weekend when i see the team entering the field and he is not in it.

16. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada

Jose Moriera as the Starter please.

17. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada

Moreira is Portugal"s best goalie right now. Bruno Vale right behind him. Did you guys see him vs Porto on Saturday afternoon.

18. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada

So far in two official games and in all 3-4 pre season games Moreira has allowed 0 goals. That is amazing.

19. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ

At this moment I agree that Moreira deserved that chance to be called up, and perhaps start.

This however is the NT, and we have a great U21 team, and obviously the coaches had conferences, and came to the agreement that Moreira would go to the U21.

20. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada

Moriera is too old to play for the Under 21 team he is 24 years old.

21. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005

I dunno!

As for Vitor Baia...he had his chance at the WC 2002 in Japan/Korea. He was pathetic, then again, so was the whole team.

As for Quim, he's never been a guy I'd consider NT starter material.

Moreira has all the potential to become our main man in goal, but he's far too inexperienced. Moreira will probably be our starter or Bruno Vale for Euro2008 if we qualify.

Ricardo, whether most of us like it or not, is our best option. He's one of the better Superliga goalies still, has lots of game experience in friendlies, qualifiers, and of course our Euro2004 campaign.

The state of our keeping is kind of sad, because none of our options scare opposing teams, like a Cech, Buffon, Barthez, Duda, or Casillas does.

22. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ

Damn, your almost right he's 23.

These years are going by so fast.

23. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

The key thing you said right there was, the whole team was pathetic in 2002. Can't blame only Baia. Do you remember our backline? Nowhere near as good as it is today or at Euro 2004.

I know Baia will NEVER again be called to the NT, but it still does not change the fact that hs is still to this day the best Portuguese GK in the World.

Like I have been saying though, at this stage I would feel better with anybody but Ricardo. Quim is not spectacular but I don't feel nervous when he is in goal. He's reliable.

I believe Bruno Vale is not far away from becoming Portugal's best keeper in the near future. Moreira is overrated in my opinion.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

yeah man time goes fast once your 20 then the next for 30 thats the shite