Portugal vs Luxembergh Game[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Roy Da Silva, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Ok guys, I made peace with our Italiano buddy so lets all do the same. No point in arguing here. We are not even in the same group so let Italy deal with their group and we deal with ours.

2. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    I think Brazil are the heavyweights...with Argentina, Portugal, the Netherlands, and England as the contenders. Basically, these are the four teams that have shown to have their sh!t together during the WC qualifiers so far.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Guys....someone had to saved the game...you guys are slowly killing me.

4. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My Ratings (1-10):
    Ricardo 6
    Ferreira 6
    Carvalho 7
    Andrade 7
    N. Valente 6.5
    Costinha 5
    Maniche 6
    Deco 8 (MOM)
    Figo 7.5
    Ronaldo 6
    Pauleta 7

Subs:
    Moutinho 6
    Postiga 5
    Simao 7.5

Luxembourg:
    Keeper 5
    All the others below 3

5. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

May 9, 2005
    Ricardo 6
    Ferreira 6
    Carvalho 7
    Andrade 7.5
    N. Valente 6.5
    Costinha 5
    Maniche 6
    Deco 8 (MOM)
    Figo 7.5
    Ronaldo 6
    Pauleta 7

Subs:
    Moutinho 6.5
    Postiga 5.5
    Simao 7.5

Luxembourg:
    Keeper 5
    All the others below 3

Very good ratings...I fixed a couple for you ;)

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lets stop all this bickering shite italy needs to win the next game dont bash them cuase thier in a hot seat while portugal played well deco was the man pauleta for some reason was hot but yet to a disadvantaged team while russia will be a key game for us will see how pauleta fairs but overall we got the world cup in our hands oh i would like to congrats to ukraine they deserved it

7. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ignore...double post by accident

8. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    dominating in qualifying means nothing guys...I recall a certain time when we were top of our group that included Holland and Ireland, cruised through qualifying...were laughing when we were drawn with the U.S., South Korea and Poland and then 3 games later, we have our players arriving at different airports in fear that they would be heavily booed, etc...

we have to calm our expectations...we are a relatively small country in terms of futebol compared to giants like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and yes...Italy (although they don't show it in qualifying, they always manage to make it far)...we have to temper our expectations guys...6-0 to Luxembourg is great, but its not that great...no doubt we can get excited about our prospect, but keep it in perspective...the World Cup is an exhausting tournament with many games and it only gets harder from here on out...

LET US NOT UNDERESTIMATE OUR OPPONENTS...YET HOPE THAT THEY UNDERESTIMATE US.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well said my friend...

10. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    im not underestimating them i say this DIAMOND generation is way better then the GOLDEN generation as far as talent and consistency and i know we have a bright future i remember coming form lunches and skippng school to see portugal play in the euros and the world cup and they would always fail and just choke but now i think we have the talent and the motivation to win it if anything its called CONFIDENCE my man

11. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

May 9, 2005
    Kudos for you. Couldnt of said it better myself

We've got an easy group in all honesty. The only easier group is the English and Italian group. I wonder how we would of faired if we were in a tougher like:

Group 1: Netherlands, Czech Republic, Romania
    Group 2: Ukraine, Turkey, Greece, Denmark
    Group 4: Switzerland, Ireland Rep, France, Isreal

Now those are tough groups...I can't say for sure whether we'd be sitting in first against those teams who are all pretty good. Well atleast we'll qualify.

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I dunno Jec... I'm a big fan of Fernandes, Moutinho, Ronaldo, etc. but they are still nowhere close to Figo and Rui Costa in their primes. The only way this generation is better might be on defense with Carvalho and Andrade still young, but not by much.

14. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would give Andrade an 8.5.
    He got the teams first goal and it was all over after that, he made an incredible pass to Pauleta to put the game out of reach and player flawless D.
    What else could you ask for?

15. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Germany and Sweden could cause some problems...and we can never discount the Italians in a World Cup.

16. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

May 9, 2005
    I think your wrong about both those teams. Germany are hosts, but that's all they got going for them really. There best players are past their prime...they have a few up and comers but they're still too green. They only got Ballack really. There goaltending situation is still an issue...whether its Kahn or Lehmann, not to mention the resentment each has for one another.

As far as Sweden goes...they're not even peaking. Bergkamp and Lungberg are on the decline. I agree with you on the Italians, they're always in the thick of it...but there best players are either past their prime or retired [examples: Maldini, Baggio, Vieri, Del Piero, Inzaghi]. Having players like Gilardino, Cassano, Totti, Pirlo, Gattuso, and Nesta, will soften their blow.
    So a semifinal birth is not out of the question for Italy.

I'm surprised you didn't mention France, or even Spain, who have better chances than the Germs or Swedes. :rolleyes:

17. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Look back at Portugal's team before the Euro and coming off a poor WC2002 they were just a mess. Things kind of found there way for Portugal and the rest was history. They were the home team and it makes a huge difference, and it will make a difference for Germany. The last German team didn't have that much going for it either but it did get far, losing to Brazil.
    As for Sweden they have talent, they're scoring at will, and they're my dark horse pick.
    France and Spain obviously are among the favorites.
    My point was that Germany and Sweden could surprise as could Italy. I didn't say they would win it all did I?

18. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

May 9, 2005
    The World Cup 2002 was full of upsets, with France, Portugal, Argentina, bowing out in the group stage, and Italy and Sweden in the 2nd round. Germany's road to the finals was a joke really - against Paraguay, the US, and South Korea. No offense to any of those teams but it doesn't get any easier than that. Those teams weren't expected to even make it out of the groups. There's usually upsets...but WC 02 was very odd, in that there was so many.

And, by the way, I disagree with people who say that Portugal got to the finals because they were playing at home. Sure that helped, but Portugal got their sh!t together even before that. When the FPF had the brains to hire Scolari - who pulled all the right strings during substitutions. Not to mention the fact players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco, Maniche, Postiga, Costinha, Miguel, Andrade, Carvalho, Nuno Valente, and Ricardo emerged since the last WC in Japan/Korea Rep. Who would of thought players like Pauleta, Figo, Rui Costa, Couto - legends for the NT and players still in their prime, would find themselves on the bench for stretches during Euro2004.

Lets face it fans might bring you to the Semi's and Finals...but you win tourneys on skill...Brazil's shown that their last two successive World Cup titles in the US, and in Japan. They should do it again, or maybe Portugal :D

Sorry, but I just feel people put too much stock in Homefield advantage, when in soccer, for everytime its helped a team, its also hindered them or rendered itself useless. No amount of fan support will help Germany beat Brazil ...they would have to win on luck alone.

19. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't be so sure Brazil is going to win it all.
    Adriano,Ronaldinho and Kaka are playing alot of soccer, they are on teams that will no doubt go far in CL play and will be worked like horses. They played their butts off in the confederation cup this summer also. At this pace the potential for burn out is definitely there, and should one of them go down with an injury, I don't see enough depth up front to make up for their so-so D. Ronaldo is not the same player he used to be, nor is Cafu, Alberto Carlos etc. While Adriano and Kaka are top talents, they have never played in a world cup game. Now don't get me wrong here, Brazil is a great team with many talented players that could very well win the world cup, but it won't be as easy as many predict. To be honest, I think England will be the team to beat.
    They are pretty much world class at evey position and are a group of players all in their primes. My 2nd pick is Argentina. 3rd. Brazil , 4th. Portugal, 5th. Germany

20. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

May 9, 2005
    Paul, while I agree with your player burnout philosophy. Brazil are just too strong ...Say what you want about Ronaldo, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Emerson, Gilberto ...these guys maybe passed their primes or on the downhill side of their careers, but all these guys still start for their respective teams - we're talking about Real, AC Milan, and Arsenal. The fact these teams are predicted to go far in the CL and in their respective leagues, and the fact these players are STILL regulars for those teams should show their qualities. Let's not forget about players like Adriano, Robinho, Ricardo Oliveira, Alex, Nilmar, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Juninho, Edu, Ze Roberto, Luisao, Lucio, Cecinho, and Dida. Brazil could have injuries to Ronaldinho and Ronaldo and still carry a Cup - that's depth if I ever saw it.

I agree with you on England though - they are peaking. With Rooney, Dafoe, Owen, Joe Cole, Shawn Wright Phillips, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, A. Cole..some of the most sought after players in the world.

SO, Brazil #1, Argentina #2, England #3, Portugal #4, Netherlands #5

21. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seeing as this game is in the books and we have another qualifier in two days' time, this thread is being closed...