PORTUGAL VS CHILE 2017 FIFA CONFEDERATIONS CUP SEMI FINAL[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 24, 2017.

1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruma>>Nani. He's being groomed. I was the only believer of the killa B when peeps shitted on him. Gooddead?

2. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruma/Neves/Cancelo should all be promoted IMO. Guedes, maybe.

WC will be exciting; new dynamic of offense. Two Silvas/Gelson/Danilo & William will be awesome to see.

It's time to start a new era. We're ready now!

3. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'd imagine Cancelo will return to the team for qualifiers. He had been on the squad until recently, even scored some goals last fall. I hope Podence stays on track because he was excellent at the U-21 Euros and is the type of aggressive midfielder Portugal could use in its attack in the middle of the pitch behind the forwards. The idea of a player like him with Bernardo is exciting. Portugal needs more two-way players in the middle. I don't think it will ever lack talented forwards on the wings, but it needs a proactive playmaker or two right in the middle.

At the very least, it seems Bernardo is finally a surefire starter.

4. GoaltoGoals

GoaltoGoals New Member

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Jun 7, 2017
  5. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Pretty much. Bento kept calling Miguel Veloso, Joao Pereira, Hugo Almeida, Meireles. I even wonder how Portugal somehow managed to make it to the semis at Euro 2012. To be fair to him, he didn't have nearly as much to chose from as Fernando Santos does. Last year FS would totally have called Danny had he been fit :/

6. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    #232 The Special One, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    I thought we actually put in alot of effort today but our execution in possession of the ball was terrible.

On Andre Gomes who is a frustrating player to say the least.
    Andre Gomes execution which has been terrible all season hurt our chances however to say he is rubbish is just plain stupid. His positioning is superb and reads the game to a very high level and even when things are clearly not falling his way he keeps demanding the ball. I find it more concerning when chances don't fall to a player at all. I remember the best coaches I had would always say I'd prefer you to miss a chance then to never have them at all. Atleast your being brave and getting yourself into a position to effect the game. So I think you all need to pump the brakes a bit on Gomes, if he reaches his potential he could be a very important player for Portugal and Barcelona.

Overall impression of the arch was that both sides nullified each other. Portugal didn't play to there strengths or try to expose Chiles Weakness. We play this weird half press which meant when we turned over the ball we weren't 1)close enough or 2)far enough from the goal to firstly make a quick incisive pass to be in on goal or secondly be deep enough in our on half to stretch the old Chilean defensive with a full field counter attack. Which one is it press high or air back, I was very confused.

How many cross did we get into their box, apart from Cedric who is just a proper professional and one who can always be relied upon, it took Quaresma to come on and tried and put more crosses in his short cameo than we had in the whole game previous. This is where we really missed Raphael who is extremely key in Portugals attacks. Mario Rui who apparently is moving to Napoli after his ACL injury if able to replicate his 2015/16 form needs to be the backup.

I'm not sure what people are complaining about Alves, I thought he was an absolute monster today and IMO should start next to Pepe, Fonte looks really low on confidence but still got the job done.

William Carvalho was Portugals best player in this tournament, he added pace to our passing and slowed it down when required, his physical presence has improved and his form wa similar to that of his breakout season at Sporting, personally would've like to if seen him and Danilo play together today and put Either Quaresma or Gelson on that left side, I felt we needed to expose the flanks more as Chole likes to play very central. Bernardo Silva is simply a wonderfull player to watch. He creates the extra man and rarely looses the ball, in modern day football this is so important, the Chileans were double teaming him all game and he still cause them big problems, live this guy I just hope he can adapt to the slightly more physical nature of the EPL. If he's warming the bench come seasons end I think Ronaldo will be without a player who can pick a pass to match his intelligent runs.

We also really need Renato Sanches to get his groove back, him and William in the midfield both on form is IMO very complimentary to their strengths. William finds players in between lines with delicate well weighted passes and Renato running at defences centrally is a sight to behold which then draws players in giving Bernardo Ronaldo Silva and Bruma space to exploit. Yes I think Bruma needs to be in the starting XI, they guy is an exceptional talent a complete ass but he's a difference maker. I feel Nani is the odd man out, I think Quaresma still offers something.

Ronaldo was not bad today, he and Silva need each other and it was so evident when he came off how our structures in attack where completely gone.

Santos for me went for experience in the second half which had served well in the past and the decision backfired. Personally think Gelson should come on earlier. Hopefully he has learnt some lessons and will make different decisions come World Cup time providee we qualify.

I'm excited to see Jose Sa and Andre Moreira hopefully have solid seasons with Porto and Benfica, Rui Patricio has been really solid for the last couple of years and I feel fairly confident with him in goals but I would like to have a truly world class keeper and those 2 along with Joel Pareira I believe have that level possibly in them.

JoseEmidio and nbstriker8 repped this.
  8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Fernando is imperfect, but he's already won a Euro and drastically changed the roster pool for the better. He's made decisions we disagree with, but has gotten things mostly right. 15 of the 23 players called up for Portugal's final match under Bento (a 1-0 loss to Albania to start 2016 qualifying) are not on the squad this summer.

It'll be interesting to see how the next year plays out leading up to the World Cup. There is a lot of young talent on the cusp of earning a place on this team, and there are older guys in front of them who still make a positive impact. The key is to ID how and when the likes of Quaresma, Nani and Moutinho should be used. In a perfect world, Portugal would have a couple young CBs ready to join the senior team as well as a young backup for Guerreiro, but the young guys most ready to breakthrough for Portugal are in a logjam behind other players who are also young or still in their prime.

One last thing: Portugal is still moving toward its ideal 2018 lineup. Last summer Bernardo was hurt. This summer Joao is hurt. I don't think they've started a match together though they have played together for a few minutes at a time during qualifiers. A midfield of Bernardo-Adrien-William-Mario seems to be the best midfield combo, yet it hasn't started together. Now that Bernardo and Andre Silva are starters, it gives Fernando a chance to settle on his ideal lineup. Portugal's in a good position for now and for the future.

JoseEmidio and Lafleur repped this.
  9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cancelo sucks. Nelson Semedo is better.

I'm worries about our CBs

10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah, that is concerning. I think Santos was even considering going to the old age home and get Ricardo Carvalho

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    For what it is worth we get a draw out of this game good enough to keep us in a seeded spot for the World Cup. A win for 3rd will also help the cause....that and qualifying for the damn thing.

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just play Danilo there.

Have Ruben Neves backup William

:cool:

13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    CR7 has been authorized to go home to meet his newborn and won't be available Sunday. Not that is matters anymore anyways.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah, he's going home to meet his twin newborn babies.

3rd place game is useless.

15. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    So now its time to think about next summer's world cup. It appears as though we need to transition in some youngster's who will become go to subs, and phase out the likes of Nani and Quaresma. I think a midfield of Carvalho, Mario, Bernardo, and Gomes/Renato/Adrien depending on form and development. Ronaldo and Andre up front with Gelson the first substitute to come off the bench.

Gomes I am a fan of, he really is a good player he's just not the kind of guy that should be playing closer to goal. You saw what happened when he was in an offensive situation, those shots were terrible. So maybe Gomes in the central midfield role playing just ahead of Carvalho, and then Mario and Bernardo on both sides of midfield. Versus tough opposition maybe Adrien instead of Gomes. I love the idea of Carvalho, Mario, bernardo and Gelson but I think that would be trouble in terms of defending and the elite teams might expose us fairly easily. It really is tough to find the ideal lineup right now, where to play our midfielder's is a bit of a concern and I don't quite know the answer. For sure though 3 of the 4 man midfield is a lock, carvalho, Mario and Bernardo, the next year is really about finding the best midfielder to accompany that trio, in an ideal world Renato becomes a starter at Bayern and has an awesome season and then the selection becomes easy. We know those three are in when fit, and we know Ronaldo and Silva up front, as well as Raphael, Pepe and Cedric. We need to find he best centerback and midfielder to accompany our team.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought you guys were exaggerating gomes bad play, I just watched the game and what horrible shots

But gomes contributed offensively at the euro very well, so I'm really not ready to give up on him at all. A bad season and a bad meaningless tournament is not enough to start claiming he's trash

Nani and Qtip will still be around next year, pretty sure, deservedly so. Both should have a last hoorah for Portugal

17. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Just popping over to read alternative opinions on the match. Personally it wen't more or less like I predicted to experienced sides would go about it. Tough, tactical and a bit like a chess match (only with a bit more crosses from Portugal than I would have been comfortable with). Both sides showed great respect to one another. Chile didn't go all out and mostly played weary of Portugal's famous counters. They showed their experience here because had we gone all out like against Cameroon maybe Portugal would have been a couple of goals ahead before half-time. The worst that could have happened would have been an early goal for Portugal. Luckily for us Bravo had a great game... and so did Rui Patricio to be fair.

I was fairly confident in penalties because all these guys have been there, done that, in higher stakes situations. I felt worse during corners for Portugal... can't understand why Portugal would play it short in some of them...

Also ******** VAR. What's the point?

JoseEmidio repped this.
  18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We wasted so many corners and free kicks. So much height gone to waste.

posteador repped this.
  19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think at least 2 but maybe all 3 of Nani, Quaresma, Moutinho will still be on the team at the World Cup. And deservedly so they only had bad pks today they didn't make an impact but they didn't play bad and they were instrumental in winning the Euro.

As far as I know that was Nani's first ever PK miss.

If I were to bet on the WC Squad right now:

Patricio
    Lopes
    Sa
    Pepe
    Fonte
    Neto
    Ie/Ruben Semedo
    Cedric
    Cancelo
    Nelson Semedo
    Guerreiro
    Coentrao(if healthy)/Rafa
    Adrien
    William
    Gomes
    Mario
    Moutinho/Renato/Rony Lopes (based on form)
    Bruma/Quaresma (based on form)
    Bernardo
    Andre Silva
    Nani
    Ronaldo

20. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How anyone can defend Gomes' play is beyond me.

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    his play was fine, his shooting was horrible.

But he ran out of steam late on should have been the one subbed off first. Zero reason to take of the Silva's. If anything Santos should have moved Bernardo into the middle and channeled everything through him.

--------------Ronaldo----Andre--------
    Nani--------------Bernardo-----------Quaresma
    ----------------------William
    Eliseu-----------Fonte--Alves------Cedric
    --------------------Patricio

That is how the last 20 mins of regular time should have looked.

22. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Everyone has their opinions, and you are entitled to that. However, how can you leave Danilo off that list? have 3 RB options. You have also placed Rony Lopes over Ruben Neves which i think is an inaccurate assumption.

I believe our main concern is the phasing out of some older players. I believe Quaresma has a bit more to offer at this point then Nani.

Bruno Alves has proven that he is still capable of performing well, and along side someone like Pepe could cover any flaws. At the very least, have him as a 3rd/4th option.

23. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #248 Sumol, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Post game notes, brought to you by Sumol.

- Adrien should not have played. We were playing Chile, not Germany A. He killed off offensive drives. Santos showed a particularly beatable side way too much respect and it cost us.

- Andre Gomes had himself some cagoes cereal before the game. Yes, he did some things well but he also bombed opportunities which overshadows his entire performance. You can't be doing that consistently. It's an ongoing recurrence with him.

- After this, there is literally no reason to keep playing Cedric when we have somebody much better. Each game a few of our players always let out a sigh at him for either a bad cross or killing something off. Semedo has world class potential, Cedric is mediocre.

- Our PK strategy was EURO 2012 all over again. You would think we would learn from our historic costly mistake of saving CR7 for last. Also, if i have to see Moutinho timidly walk up to take a PK again, i am shutting off my TV. What happened with him in the Poland PK's at EURO 2016 proves he's nervous and lacks confidence when pressure like that is put on him. We also did no homework on Claudio Bravo.

- I can't understand why everybody is so soft on this guy but Andre Silva was absolute garbage for most of this tournament. Another #9 that just can't do his job and PDC is laughing all the way to the bank. Great job, FCP.

- The camera shot of CR7's face when Bernardo Silva got subbed off said it all. Bernardo Silva stays on the pitch no matter what. Taking him off is a crime.

24. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Look at it this way.. no team has won the confederations cup and then gone on to win the World Cup,so fingers crossed!!

To be honest I wouldn't all get your hopes up over there being drastic changes in the squad, Nani quaresma and Alves will all go to the World Cup and so will Moutinho

25. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was always in my subconscious during this tournament. It won't leave players hungry for more.