Portugal v Iceland - Euro 2016 Group Stage

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ---Z---, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We are great with history repeating itself.

eurodad repped this.
  2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal second games

Euro 96 , we beat turkey
    Euro 2000 beat Romania
    World 2002 beat Poland
    2004 beat Russia
    2006 beat Iran
    2008 beat Czech
    2010 beat North Korea
    2012 beat Denmark
    2014 draw USA

We usually do much better in second games

CDPontaDelgada and JoseEmidio repped this.
  3. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    There is literally no benefit whatsoever, to himself or to the team, to whine about Iceland playing the style it did. All Ronaldo's rant does is essentially blame Iceland for Portugal's failings. He's not holding himself or his teammates accountable for their failure to score a second goal and win when it had all the chances and possession in the world.

If Germany played out the exact same match do you think they'd whine about Iceland ceding all possession and most of the chances or would they just say they need to play better? It has nothing to do with not giving Iceland credit and everything to do with failing to take responsibility for your own performance on the pitch. And it's a big reason Portugal is well on its way to never winning anything with Ronaldo on the team. A team culture like that isn't one that breeds success.

nbstriker8 and artielange84 repped this.
  4. portugal_9

portugal_9 Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I'm past the whole Iceland game. Time to move on...

BatatasFritas repped this.
  5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Same here. I'm tired of the "soccer fans every two years" here at work ragging on me about a tie. Half of them don't even know CR7 played in Man united. Time to beat the Austrians

artielange84 repped this.
  6. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Santos saying he will make several changes to refresh the squad versus Austria. I'm expecting Carvalho out for Fonte or Alves, Cedric in and then Quaresma in and possibly Sanches for Moutinho. Didn't rule out a front three of Ronaldo Nani and quaresma as well. Interesting, have to admit a front 3 of them and a midfield of Danilo Gomes and Mario would be a good lineup versus teams that park the bus. Versus Hungary I would love that lineup.

7. nickslb14

nickslb14 Member

Oct 23, 2014
    NJ
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Couldn't even go through these posts due to some of the stupidity these new members are posting.

I was at the game and went in early for the warm-ups where I was able to see our poor finishing before the game even started. The shooting drill the starting midfielders and attackers went through was so frightening to the point German and English fans around me were laughing at how poor it was. First time I saw CR messing with the ball he attempted a stepover and accidentally hit the ball backwards, which led me to think things were already looking off for him.

Individually, I think Carvalho, Andre Gomes and Danilo were our best players. Nani inches close to those three but far too many opportunities missed IMO. Guerreiro did well offensively, but defensively he struggled most of the night including his failed karate kick clearance that led to the goal. Vierinha was easily the worst player on the field. I was pissed to see him start after Cedric played well vs Estonia. Lost his man for the goal, couldn't get a cross off the ground, and was just getting bullied all game. Ronaldo needs to get more involved obviously, but he just wasn't on his game. Give him that header or over the top ball any other day and he buries it. Pepe was the only one capable of winning balls in the air. Joao Mario disappointed me. With the exception of a few good touches from the ball going out, I don't think he provided much. Moutinho did his job, but he's far too weak to be challenging those monsters in the middle.

I personally think Renato should've started. Some may think its bias but he provides strength and direct running in that midfield which is what was needed and given once he came on. Quaresma was good old Quaresma, showing that Estonia was a fluke, once in a while game. Did little to help off the bench. Eder...well, I guess he didn't miss any sitters which is an improvement...?

Overall, I don't think a bad thing can be said about the first half with the exception of the missed attempts. First 10 minutes were a bit messy but our ball movement was beautiful after that. Second half was a bit of a different story. Had Iceland not scored so early, I think we would have won with ease. It seemed like a dagger to the team to come out of the half to suffer a goal after outperforming all first half. We suffered from the physicality and height of the monsters on the field and they took advantage of that.

I think we'll pull off victories in the next two games being that we match up pretty equally in physical terms with both and won't have to worry about losing everything in the air like we did vs Iceland.

natenate101 and BatatasFritas repped this.
  8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Austria fits in with that list

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because Quaresma didn't lead to a goal he didn't provide much off the bench. That has to be the dumbest thing I've read concerning our players performance yesterday.

Quaresma came on and our attack all of a sudden made sense and looked overwhelming for Iceland he should have come on much sooner.

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Let's just nuke this thread. Cast our eyes on a new horizon. Game vs. Iceland could have been shit. Or it could have been the best thing to happen to this team. We likely won't have even the faintest of a clue until the end of the Austria game.

11. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO it's not about being politically correct, it's just that there was no real reason to say it. It was Icelands first major championship game and it was against a giant in world soccer, and they earned a point. Respect.

It's about taking the high road.

And everyone I've read is talking about Lows ass sniff. People have been dug up vids of him doing it and training. It's not a real comparison though. One was classless the other was just weird.

NewLaw83, Nani_17 and dipluso repped this.