Portugal UEFA Coefficient Thread 2017-18 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by um_chili, Aug 25, 2017.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I am evidently retarded.

2. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm not one to say I told you so, but I do want to re-emphasize that you just can't tell what's going to happen after Day 1 of results, as AS Monaco 0-3 FC Porto amply illustrates. FCP goes from group bottom to second by two clear points and +1 goal differential. And after Besiktas shellacs Leipzig, also seems they're no chumps though the home loss to them is still not great.

Hope this continues to be a strong week for Portugal. I'd like to see at least four points tomorrow, and honestly Benfica needs to get three of them away to Basel the way they stank up their first game. Sporting looks sharp and I don't discount the possibility that they draw or even beat Barca at the Alvalade.

3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Seems I was wrong again. Rather than shit their pants into the Europa League, it seems Benfica is actually rubbing itself in its own feces and even attempting to eat it, and shit it out again.

Truly remarkable stuff.

um_chili repped this.
  4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica need a overhaul next season, however the debt has not been going down significantly (if at all) the last 7 years, so extra debt or years in a bind. We do not have many players we can see for big money...might not make Europa this year.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Please, never make any Portugal NT predictions :p

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Hahaha. Well you are talking to a man who had his family incessantly question why he was buying Euro 2016 final tickets a year before the tournament.
    At the time I felt I knew Portugal would be victorious. Now, it seems it was all really just divine intervention.

[​IMG]

um_chili repped this.
  7. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was an absolutely putrescent outing for which fecal analogies are entirely appropriate. No earthly clue what the hell that was. And while a recovery from a weak Day 1 showing is possible, two consecutive defeats basically mean that Benfica would be lucky to get into the Europa League.

As for Sporting, they played well but still lost to an elite team in Barcelona. I recall this happening a lot in previous years, when they seemed like they were forever coming close to results against big-name teams (Real Madrid, IIRC) then crapping out at the last minute. I am glad they played well and their high level of play bodes well for their European campaign (even if that just means that they stand a good chance if they end up in the EL) but it would be nice to see them finally actually win against a major power instead of get moral "victories".

Finally, tough loss by Vitoria today in a game they should have been able to get at least some points from, but Braga really saved our bacon with a last-minute winning goal to salvage some points and take pole position in their group. Two wins and three losses isn't great but it's a hell of a lot better than a win, a draw, and three losses.

benficafan3 repped this.
  8. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Doesn't Sporting generally play well in Europe against good teams....and lose? And then proceed to play awfully against weaker teams and crash out? Sounds like Sporting.

Porto's result shows this group is wide open. Leipzig is a team on the ropes, but I don't think they are weaker than the rest. Anything can happen here, from progress to 4th place.

Benfica..... I want Portuguese teams to win but if non-Porto teams are going to lose, better if they are humiliated like that. :D

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We're quite behind Russia in 6th atm but we can recover in the europa league.

Sporting - looks set for at least Europa league and on paper has a team which can go far in EL, although the league title is still the priority

Porto - they had a big win at Monaco yes, but they did lose to Besiktas at home which hurt, its too early to say they'll progress in the UCL, for the rankings sake it would be better to go to Europa League and have one of those seasons where 3 Portuguese teams were in the semi-final.

Braga - 2 wins out of 2, looking good to progress

Vitoria - doesn't look like they'll make it, hopefully they can get some more points in the group though

Benfica - has the toughest task, UCL is probably a stretch but EL is still possible; have Basel at home they must win and they have to go beat CSKA in Russia (a direct rival in the rankings so a win would be huge).

um_chili repped this.
  10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    3 games, 3 defeats. At this point we need them all to go to Europa League to get points because it's not gonna happen in CL. Truth is we are where we deserve to be.

11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I think Sporting can still beat out Juventus (potentially) but even if they don't, it'll be a blessing having them go to the Europa League, as they could actually win that if they are properly firing on all cylinders.

Porto and Benfica disgust me too much to even comment.

eurodad repped this.
  12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This is embarrassing. Soon, in a few years, we will only have one team in the CL if they qualify...

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Yeah but look at the bright side, at least Jorge Mendes made a shit ton of money.

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    soon to be 5 defeats

15. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Worst week in Europe in 10 years (6 defeats in 2007) lol

16. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vitoria beat Marseille 1-0!

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Best week in a while even though we only had 2 wins.

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We're still far from Russia who is in 6th place, but we're also comfortably in 7th. Which means no 3rd CL spot in 2019/20 season.

We also have more points this season than Germany surprisingly.

England having a stellar season in Europe and becoming the dominant force again.

19. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Rumors of my being kidnapped by a Colombian drug cartel and held for ransom have been only slightly exaggerated. In any event.

Yes, of the three weeks I was AWOL we suffered through a truly humiliating week of five losses in five games, and then two slightly better weeks. This most recent one was actually pretty good, save for Benfica's execrable pants-shittery. Good wins from Sporting and Braga, a credible tie from Porto, and while Vitoria got pasted, they were away to the group leader. Benfica, you and I are not on speaking terms.

So here's where we stand going into the final week of the group stage:

--Braga is guaranteed to advance. They will likely advance as group winners, unless they lose and Ludogorets wins.
    --Benfica is out, guaranteed group bottom.
    --Porto advances so long as they match or exceed Hoffenheim's points next game. But they can do no worse than third.
    --Sporting need to win and have Juventus not win to advance. But they too can do no worse than third.
    --Vitoria G still has a chance. They need to beat Konyaspor at home (plausible) and hope Red Bull Salzburg beats Marseille in France (possible). The first tiebreaker is head to head record, which would favor Vitoria because while they and Marseille are tied with a win apiece and 2 goals apiece, Vitoria has the away goal. Don't count them out!

Overall, we're not doing too poorly on the season, but the bad news is that Russia is doing great and has stretched their lead on us by about 2 points. Benfica's self-soiling played a large part in this; by losing twice to CSKA they gifted Russia about a full point's swing in the standings. But are still look certain to get three teams through, maybe four, it just remains to be seen in which competitions. Honestly would not be bad for Sporting to go to the Europa league and then do some major damage there to rack up points.

OndaVerde and benficafan3 repped this.
  20. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005

Loving the Benfica shitting-themselves memes. I personally see it more as bathing in its own excrement, but to each his own.

Sporting could make quarters of the CL or win the EL. The former would be better for them (more prestige to go deep into the CL & more money than winning the EL), the latter for Portugal.

21. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK ladies and germs, the group stage of the 2017-18 Champs League is in the books, and the final day results are as follows:

--Benfica concluded its execrable, excrement-covered walk of shame with a 0-2 home loss to FC Basel, securing zero points on six games in what is without question the worst group stage performance by any Portuguese team in the history of the UCL. They scored one goal and conceded em-effing 14 in those games. Nice job, guys.

--Sporting lost 0-2 at Barcelona, but Juventus' 2-0 win at Olympiakos meant that no result would have advanced them. Sporting instead moves on to the EL, after getting a very credible 7 points in a tough group.

--Porto records a thumping 5-2 win over AS Monaco and proceeds to the knockout rounds as group runner-up, after a Besiktas team that got 14 points in the group stage (!!).

For what it's worth, possible FCP foes next round include: Manchester United, Paris, Roma, Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur

Tomorrow we will see if Braga confirms group leader position (likely) and if Vitoria G can pull off a major upset and advance (unlikely but not impossible).

After today's games, we now sit sixth in Europe overall, behind both Russia (1 point back) and France (.5 points back). So it would be really nice to see some teams from those countries stumble tomorrow, and makes the long shot possibility of VG advancing past l'OM especially critical.

22. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great day. Braga loses at home 1-2 to Istanbul Basakesir, a team that had already been eliminated. They still manage to top the group though, and will advance in first place. Vitoria's long shot at qualifying fell short when they tied Konyaspor at home, and even a win would have been moot because Marseille drew anyhow.

From six, there are three. One in the CL (Porto), two in the EL (Braga, Sporting). May tomorrow's draw be ever in their favor.

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Porto vs Liverpool
    Sporting vs Astana
    Braga vs Marseille

Considering the other teams Porto could face, Liverpool was probably the best option.

Sporting get a good draw, but traveling to Kazakhstan might be a factor.

Braga with a tough draw. But they have beaten Marseille before.

24. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49 um_chili, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Tough but fair draw. I don't have a sense of the other opponents, honestly. Liverpool is having a good but not world-beating season in England. Man City or United would have been much harder draws. Teams from farther out than Eastern Europe are always a wild card to me; I dismissed Besiktas at the beginning of this season and look what happened there. @fdasilva is dead right that the travel to these far-off places always makes the away leg more challenging. In terms of Marseille, Vitoria Guimaraes beat them home and away when you consider away goals, so Braga could certainly advance, though I wouldn't say they're clearly favored.

Interesting ties. Could easily see all three advancing or none of them. Two would be a decent outcome, especially if Porto is one of them. But if we're going to stay within range of France and Russia in the overall European classification, we'll need to win all three. Braga v Marseille is especially important as a zero-sum with France's UEFA points.

25. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Let's just delete this thread and agree to never speak about it again.