Portugal to give 4+ Billion to Greek Bailout

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Aveirenses, May 3, 2010.

1. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thoughts?

I'm not going to say much other than the following points...
    1. This means that Greece officially owes us a Euro-Cup AND a shit load of money now and
    2. Why the HELL is the poorest EU nation being forced to give ANYTHING to Greece? This makes no sense what-so-ever, especially when everyone's already flipping a shit about how we might be next! :eek:

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I guess to make Greece the poorest nation

3. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ??? If we're giving money to Greece, how does that make Greece the poorest? Most in debt, possibly, yes.

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    appearances is half the battle, control them, and it tilts in your favor. :)

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I actually don't agree. I though it was Germany, France, and Spain giving them money. Portugal shouldn't be giving any money to anyone considering the situation they are in and the possible aspect of being next...

But in other news...I should have went to Europe. The Euro is just falling...lol

6. Tavares

Tavares Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Montreal/Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From what i've heard portugal's main problem is that its economy hasnt grown in a while and if that trend continues they will have to default in the future. this in turn forces the nation to pay higher interest rates on the debt it issues. they want to send the message that their economy is solid and theres no need for concerns. they hope that by participating in this bailout the marketes will buy into that message.... plus if they need a bailout in a week or two its easy to get an additional 4 billion tacked onto it.

7. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All of the EU-member nations are putting in money along with 30 billion euros from the IMF. The official figures aren't really available anywhere. I saw a chart in WSJ but it was miscalculated like a Napolean-led-French attack on Russia.

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    The government is showing some sense by postponing the international airport and new Tejo bridge projects.

Isn't it 120 billions? That's what was reported on the news, I think.

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol isnt this akin to a bum giving his cardboard box to another bum :D

10. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The total package from EU+IMF is 110 Billion Euros.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2012 doomsday scenario is seeming more and more likely with every day...

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Euro12 stuff ??

13. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That has to be the funniest followup to a 2012 theory ever...

Vila-there's a... would it be called a prophecy??/ Going around that in 2012 the world is going to end sometime that December...

Personally, I think we're gonna wake up December 23rd (it ends on the 22nd right?) and call ourselves stupid for even halfway believing in that.

I fail to believe that the Mayans were that good at predicting shit... I mean... they didn't predict a major downfall for their civilization did they???

14. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    True or not, I want a doomsday party.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Me too. I don't believe it will be a "doomsday" per say. I kind of want it to happen though.

But in all seriousness I think Western World and the way we live is going to change very much within the next 10 - 20 years.

16. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. We'll see. I think the recession was definitely healthy in that it stopped the constant inflation on the housing market and some other goods that seemed like they couldn't just find a stable price.

That's the problem is that we are a society can't seem to find a level where enough wealth is enough. You got 2 billion and all of a sudden you want even more. I don't know why but I always look at F1 driver salaries in this instance. (as opposed to gum prices and stupid old comparisons like that) Most drivers used to make 70K or therabouts now they're all making millions upon millions (Michael Schumacher during his winning seaons was making 99mill+ when including sponsors)...

We need to find a level where the poverty line and, in addition class-lines don't appear so volatile.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "Greed is good". They teach me that in Business school. Its a basic social problem, and I live in Canada. Its 10x in USA.

18. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To a certain textent. But the fact is that the excess of greed has led to, at least in the USA anyways, a severe grand-canyon like division between classes and the worst is that it keeps fluctuating.

19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Great post bud. You are bang on. Greed if not guarded carefully, knows no boundaries. There is a difference between a company motivated to grow and a greedy company.

20. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Doesn't Portugal have the highest tax rates in the EU? Brilliant, let's tax the poorest (or is Greece now the poorest) country the highest amount. Well, I guess you get what you vote for.

And as far as greed goes, I'm in total agreement. Governments should be less greedy and let me spend my money how I want. Chump bureaucrats.