Portugal squad for England friendly announced

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Selecao2002, Aug 29, 2002.

1. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    dude!!!! By Cunha I meant the president Sporting!!!! Not you!!!!

Now I see where our lines of communication may have been crossed!!!

lol!!!!

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
  3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Ok/ its over let's move on.
    Viva Portugal

4. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    dude im still laughing!!! A gaffe on my part!!! I should have put Dias da Cunha instead of just Cunha!!!

LOL!!!!!

5. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    No damn it.........................:mad:

Were going to die against england..........

vidigal........Baia........nelson.Waht the hell was the coach thinking.........:rolleyes:

how can you leave out Xavier........

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Costinha look good, he will be in the starting lineup with Petit. Don't have to worry about Baia he was bench in today's game and I don't think will see him for awhile, I think the ex Corunha goalkeeper Nuno Espirito Santo won the starting job at least until the 15 of September. I won't be surprise if Agostinho will call Xavier and Quim for the game, there is players not ready for the big game.

7. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    I hope so....................about xavier and quim........

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Porto will play Gil Vicente next and then they have to go up North to Guimaraes, a hard place to win special when the team is 2 wins no losses.
    Guimaraes have a hard game in Setubal in the 3rd week.

9. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Sporting Life

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    What a pity, we are leaving a bunch of potential starters at home, and it looks like Vitor Baia is going to join theme after the great performance by Nuno Espirito Santo.

11. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    whats your problem with Vitor Baia?

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I am not the only one a lot of Porto fans were asking for Nuno at the Cafe I attend the game between Porto and Belenenses, you guys don't see it his done, Capuchi.
    The same way I am critical of Moreira is not ready for the big time, I watch the Real Madrid vs Benfica in person and he cost the team two of 3 goals.
    I try to tell it the way it is.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I saw Baia on top of his game, 10 years ago, I remember when he had the record for scoreless games, I'm sorry is not done. I believe Mourinho know's it but he made the favor of the portuguese brass to starter Baia in the first game.

14. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    dude im not saying Baia has to start, I do think he should be on the squad as teh third keeper. I've said that all the time. His leadership and experience are valuable!

Personally I think Quim is the best, Ricardo sucks. Overrated.

Nuno, we'll see. Im not sold on his performance yet.

15. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
  16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I still say the lineup will be as follow

Ricardo [ I wish for Quim]
    Paulo Ferreira [I hope we still call Xavier]
    F. Couto
    Beto
    Rui Jorge

Petit
    Costinha

S. Conceicao
    Rui Costa
    Figo or Simao
    Figo could play center midfield and Simao on the left.

Pauleta

17. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I have heard rumors that Xavier's exclusion from the squad may be as a result of some comments he made regarding the Federation after Korea.

Also, Frank, Figo is approaching his top form. He is in the starting lineup without a doubt. If Simao makes the first 11, it will not be in place of Figo.

18. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    Figo CANNOT play central midfield. Look at his performance in that thrilling 4-0 loss to France as proof of that.

Litos won't be selected, he's hurt....and now Im worried that the Porto B defender, JMP, will be selected. God forbid.

I say got for Ricardo Silva (Guimaraes). He's a giant, a good leader and solid tactically.

19. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    According to Noticias na Hora, Litos has been officially selected to replace Andrade.

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Litos if his healthy is the right men, to be call.
    Ricardo Rocha don't have any experience. How old is Ricardo Rocha?

21. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Not to leap in here, but who the hell cares? It's a friendly, for heaven's sakes, as in totally meaningless in the greater scheme of things and generally barely even worth watching. I mean, by now hasn't everyone realised that international "friendlies" are about as exciting as watching paint dry?

At best, they provide an opportunity for one or two youngsters to make their mark and in reality they rarely give any indication of form for future competitive matches.

To my mind a friendly is only worth watching if there are one or two new faces in the squad...the thought of watching established internationals who for the most part would rather be anywhere but on a football pitch during a day off from their clubs generally leads to extremely poor entertainment.

Saturday's game, from an England perspective, might be worth watching to see how Bowyer, Woodgate, Smith, and Robinson get on, but who the hell wants to watch David Beckham or Luis Figo, etc. play a meaningless match against moderate opposition (and before you all leap on your high horses, England are pretty moderate in the scheme of things, too)? Not me.

22. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Syd,

I agree with a lot of your points.

Frank,

What starters are being left home?

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Quim and Xavier

24. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    Xavier sucks man! He's the right back version of Dimas!!! Garbage!!!!

Frank, up above you said "Ricardo Rocha doesn't have experience. How old is Ricardo Rocha?"

Do you mean Ricardo Silva?