Portugal squad for England friendly announced

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Selecao2002, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Here is your team:

MILAN: Rui Costa.
    BOAVISTA: Jorge Silva e Ricardo.
    BORDÉUS: Pauleta.
    F. C. PORTO: Capucho, Costinha, Nuno Valente, Paulo Ferreira e Vítor Baía.
    FULHAM: Boa Morte.
    INTER DE MILÃO: Sérgio Conceição.
    LÁZIO: Fernando Couto.
    NÁPOLES: Vidigal.
    NEWCASTLE: Hugo Viana.
    DEPORTIVO DA CORUNHA: Jorge Andrade.
    REAL MADRID: Luís Figo.
    BENFICA: Nuno Gomes, Petit e Simão.
    SPORTING: Rui Jorge e Beto.
    ESTUGARDA: Fernando Meira.

A couple of surprises here -- Jorge Silva (Boavista), Nuno Valente and Paulo Ferreira (Porto). Also, Vidigal and Costinha back in the mix, which probably makes sense since one of the trinco positions is open. I am also surprised that neither Quim (Braga) nor Caneira (Bordeaux) were called in. I suspect that has to do with them just getting back onto the field with their respective clubs.

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    One more thing -- it looks like Vitor Baia has survived the disaster in Korea. That, however, may have more to do with the fact that Quim is just getting back into form, and Sporting's Nelson (the No. 3 during the WC) is out with an injury.

3. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Question for Porto Marco -- how have Valente and Paulo Ferreira looked so far for Porto?

4. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Here is my projected 11, assuming a two-trinco formation:

Ricardo

Beto - Couto - Andrade - Jorge

Petit

Viana

Figo - Rui Costa - Sergio/Simao

Pauleta

I really hope that AO does not roll out the same old lineup. I would love to see him begin to integrate new players into the fold. The three best candidates for my money are Andrade (playing Jorge Costa's old spot), Viana (playing a more attacking version of Rui Bento's position) and Simao (with Sergio coming off the bench).

5. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    I'm surprised by the inclusion of Vidigal, especially if the goal is to build a competitive team for Euro 2004. I would have thought that Tiago of Benfica might have gotten a look.

I also wonder what kept Xavier off this squad?

Xavier wasn't even listed as a substitute. AP mentioned some possible substitutes if anyone were to get injured. I don't remember them all but Dani was on the list.

6. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Tiago was called into the U21 camp. I am sure they figured that he would get more time there. Further, I really think Viana is going to be part of the starting lineup alongside Petit, so guys like Vidigal and Costinha may not even factor into the game. No idea about Abel, though. I figured he would be on the team since he has played in England for the last few years, and he continues to impress with Liverpool.

7. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Apache,

Abola listed these players as possible subs -- Quim (Sp.Braga), Zé Nando (P. Ferreira), Dani (A. Madrid) and Marco Ferreira (V.Setúbal).

8. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    Yep. Those are the guys. Don't know much about them other than Quim and Dani. I guess Hugo Leal should be on that list b/c he was "pre-convocado."

Anybody have any comments on how Valente and P. Ferreira have looked so far?

Has Peixoto deserved a call up?

9. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Theres a couple of suprises here............Xavier isnt on the squad and and J.silva is also a suprise. I would never have suspected Vidigaul to be called to.........

Heres my projected lineup

Ricardo

Ferriera-Couto-Andrade-Rui Jorge

petit-vianna

Figo-R.Costa-Simao/Segrio Conceicao(half time sub)

Pauleta

This is a pretty strong lineup. But instead of vidigaul i would have schose Tiago. anybody knows how Dani is doing cause they should give him a try. I chose Ferriera cause they have to try some younger players out........

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Agostinho the coach is trying to kiss Pinto da Costa, culo, so his days are number.
    Dani, Neca, Xavier, Quim should been called ahead of the Porto players.
    I watch the Porto game against Belenenes, they didn't deserve to be called to the national team.
    I watch the Braga at Santa Clara game, Quim was the hero of the game for Braga, he save a penalty shoot. He had the highest rate of any player for the game.
    Nuno I guess the sub goal his not even playing.
    Baia was badly beat in the first goal Belenenses goal, his not given anybody any confidence.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    In thursday Jornal A Bola
    The best players of the week
    Neca 10 points
    Quim 9 pts
    Fary 7,5 pts
    Simao 7
    Tiago[Benfica] 7
    Zahovic 6
    Pedrinha [Pacos de Ferreira] 6
    Paulo Sousa [Pacos de Ferreira] 5.5
    Ednilson 5.5
    Contreras 5.5
    Ricardo Silva [Guimaraes] 5
    Jose Nando [Pacos de Ferreira] 5
    Manoel [Gil Vicente] 4.5
    Jankauskas [Porto] 4.5
    Cesar Prates 4.5

I don't see why so many players from Porto were called in, only got to be one thing Agostinho Oliveira is kissing Pinto da Costa culo.
    I just got back from Portugal and I see the war and pressure by the Porto coach and President, against the league and the federation, and more then ever I will say will not be peace in portuguese soccer until the dictator goes.

12. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Frank,

You could be right, and if that is the case, then Agostinho is simply another puppet and not the right man for the job. However, there could be an explanation for each of the selections that is not as sinister as suggest. Let's go through them and hypothesize about why they are on the team:

Baia -- it could simply be that Quim is just returning to form, and Nelson is out with an injury. Moreira is not yet ready for this level. So, we are left with Baia, who probably will not play again.

Capucho -- a regular and deserves to be there as a reserve on the wing.

Paulo Ferreira -- a young (23) right back who has been a regular with the youth national teams. Recently bought by Porto in the offseason. He is someone who many feel will be a starter for the seleccao in a couple of years. I think AO is trying to acclimate him to this level. I have NO ISSUE at all with this pick.

Costinha -- somewhat of a mystery, since I figured his days with the seleccao were over. There is a hole at defensive midfield with Paulo Bento's retirement, and it could be that AO wants to open competition -- hence, Vidigal -- to see who can fill that roster spot.

Valente -- he was actually the biggest surprise to me. He is participated on the B team, and recently came to Porto. He has skills, and I think the only reason he is on this team is that Portugal is so thin at left back. We really don't have any other left backs after Rui Jorge.

Again, Frank, you may be right. However, the only way Pinto De Costa benefits from having Portistas on the seleccao is if he can sell these guys to others teams. And, with the exception of Ferreira and Valente, these guys are all getting up there in age.

13. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    I agree.......Baia shoudnt play again........costinha i dont know. He did pretty good in Euro 2000....but cant putn the ball in the back of the net. vidigaul is to old, They just want to give Valente a chance. Ferreira and Capucho are good picks........

14. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    That is really not his job....he is a defensive midfielder.

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    If he wants to build the teams the only players from Porto with a good explanation, would be Nuno Valente and Paulo Ferreira.
    Agostinho picks got be the laughter of the portuguese Cafe's, leaving out players like Xavier a starting player for Liverpool.

Didn't I tell you gurs, as soon as Caneira left Benfica he was done for the national team. The only reason he was pick, was because Benfica had no representation, will be awhile before he get's call again, but then I my be wrong.

16. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    I agree xavier deserves to be the starter right Back.......I dont what Agostinho was thinking.......Picking so many players that shoudnt play for the national team........:mad:

I hope we get Pacheto soon hell know who to pick..:)

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    If I was in charge of portuguese soccer I would pick Marinho Peres the brazilian coach. He won many championships with the top brazilian coach's he also had wins with Sporting, the first tour with Belenenses in the late 80's early 90's excellent job with Guimaraes, and Boavista in the Uefa competion.
    The last time a brazilian coach the portuguese national, they were 3rd in the World in 1966, can anybody name the coach for Portugal in 1966?

Quim prove again today he his the best goalkeeper in the portuguese league,saving
    his second penalty in two games.
    Two shootouts for Quim in two games, take that Agostinho Oliveira.
    Remember Quim don't play for Benfica, Sporting, Porto, or Boavista. Braga don't have the defence of does teams. Remember Braga is a rebuilding year, after losing 3/4 of there players, including Cajuda the coach.

18. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    Agostinho kissing PDC's culo? Please Frank don't make me laugh! Antonio Oliveira was on his knee's giving Cunha a BJ for the past two years while Coelho (the dumbest coach of all) was known for his "top dog" selections like Calado and Paulo Madeira! (How are their careers btw)

Anyhow, as for Valente and Paulo Ferreira. Both have been outstanding for Porto thus far, more Valente than Ferreira. I will say this, Valente has talent and is a great set piece player, but will have trouble with pacey players. He always has.

Ferreira is the best Portuguese right back, period! End of story! Abel Xavier is a farce, a piece of crap! The guy can't stay with a club long enough, partly because of the fact that he sucks! I should mention that I am also an Everton fan and I recall a few comments made by Everton's commentators during Abel's stay at Everton:

"THe only thing nice about Abel's performances is his hair style!"

Abel Xavier! Please!!! GARBAGE! HASTA LA VISTA....BABY!!!!

As for Baia bashers, you're right he stinks! He's washed up at the ripe age of 31! No keeper can be good after he passes 30! I mean Oliver Kahn is only 22, David Seaman had a terrific world cup at 25 years old!!!! Please! Give me a break! Granted, I would take Quim over Baia!

Costinha and Petis are Portugal's best trincos. Period. If he was on Benfica, he'd be on the national team all the time. Vidigal is a joke.

And please, don't mention Nelson! The guy sucks! And Moreira....pretty much overrated garbage as well! How come no one talks about the keeper who will be Portugal's best in 5 years, Sergio Leite?

Frank, get over it. PDC's power in Portugal is nowhere near as much as it used to be. Explain Capucho's suspension for the match against Boavista? You can't can you? If PDC was so powerful then that would not have happened, period!

In the end, England will hammer us 3-0 or something. We are overrated. Our primmadonna's have to go before we can become strong again!

FORCA THE YOUTH REVOLUTION! VAI PRO CARALHO LUIS FIGO, RUI COSTA, JOAO PINTO, FERNANDO COUTO, RUI JORGE.....HELL! VAI PRO CARALHO ALL THE ONES FROM THE WORLD CUP EXCEPT CANEIRA, CAPUCHO, ANDRADE, CONCEICAO, BAIA, & VIANA.

Oh and by the way, the Portuguese players who deserve to be called up the most are Quaresma and Postiga!

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I think the pressure of the derby Porto vs Boavista most be getting to you, you know who I am pulling for.
    Porto loses, Mourinho and the wash up gang will be in a lot trouble.
    You like Pinto da Costa only see the blue color.
    Meanwhile if a wrote the same article like you did I would get a red card, that's why I lost all the respect for bigsoccer.com.
    But then you already call me a communist before, what to expect from the Porto fans.

20. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    1. I called you a communist? I don't think so.

2. Since when is being a communist an insult?

3. I was one of the people who championed your return Frank!

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    You don't have to get personell,you could keep the comments to Soccer, that's why we here.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Jorge Andrade fracture his ankle will be out two months, I hope Agostinho don't call Jorge Costa. Let's get Litos or Ricardo Rocha, not another Porto player.

23. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    Ricardo Rocha? And you say Im biased? PLEASE!!!!!

Litos should be the one to be called up!!!!

But Oliveira's reserves are:

Dani
    Ze Nando
    Quim
    Marco Ferreira

Perhaps Ze Nando will be the one to be called up since he is the only defender.

24. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    my comments are purely football related. I don't personally attack people. I don't know where you got that idea.

ANd please answer my question, when did I ever call you a communist? And how is being called a communist an insult?

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I know what BJ stands for.
    Why not take the all Porto team to England?