Portugal rank #8 in the World

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 10, 2004.

1. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All this coming from someone who list Tacos in his bio. He really has a grasp. Time to go back to mowing the lawn, for us gringos.

2. artistwanta_b

artistwanta_b Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Oh my....

3. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston

True, but when they get to the WC they not lose three games and go home. They always advance from a group with at least 2 European teams. You point would be valid is they were first round flops, like Cameroon the last three times

4. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You are correct, and credit goes out to them. But it doesn't replace the fact of how they qualified.

Mexico has talent, but the argument here is why Portugal is ranked behind them.

This is not the Mexican forum so if anyone else wishes to debate please go there.

At points in this thread certain trolling idiots came over and instead of adding to the discussion, insult our senior poster.

So when back into a corner, what do we do?

We throw out some stereotypes and insults and move forward.:D

5. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ave, NoName, Juveleo and Frank:

Thanks for the neg. rep, Juve. But I am in no way a troll. It was on front page and I happen to like Portugal. When reading the thread, I saw Mexico being mentioned. My opinion is welcome, too, is it not?

Besides, I posted all factual stats.

When downplaying Mexico's level, you obviously leave out the simple idea that the CONMEBOL tournaments Mexico participates in have Brazil and Argentina, not Grenada and Trinidad.

I made no racial comments, but did poke a little at Frank for being a Metro fan. Juveleo, on the otherhand, has nothing but racial slurs. At least he admitted to his tactics.

If that's how you handle things around here, I'll keep that in mind.

About the Mexican export notion, the money has everything to do with it. But if you choose to debate that, we do have plenty a thread out there.

No club issue here. All Mexico. Trolling because I defend Mexico when they're the opposite ranked team in question? Weak.

Like I said, the only insult I dished out was Frank Cunha being a Metros fan. I don't care how senior of a poster he is.

Respect is a two way street.

I posted statistics on why Mexico clearly earns a better ranking than Portugal and you've got nothing but racial/troll repellent remarks.

6. Why? Its the true, and its documented.

7. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    He's right. The Mexican league pays considerably better than any league in the Western Hemisphere.

8. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    And guys:

Please stop with the insults. This forum is for ALL soccer fans, not just Portuguese fans. Everyone has a right to make an argument without personal attacks.

And to the Mexican fans: The Portuguese in America have a long and storied history of landscaping, myself included. So don't take it too personally. :)

9. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So calling someone a Eurosnob is not an insult?

And to address your "Respect is a two way street" comment, its blatantly obvious with your first post that you came in here while trolling looking for an argument. You suggested that this "Frank Character" didn't have any one liners.

So please don't try to come off as some innocent post reader who clearly didn't know what he was doing.

As for my other remarks, since my landscaper is Mexican and I talk soccer with him all the time, I don't think this was an insult. Unless YOU look down on someone that is in that line of work.

My references to Grenada and Trinidad were with repect to WC qualifying and not Conmebol competitions. So please make sure you reference things in their proper context.

As for the comments on the Mexican League paying well and thus not to many exports, in my life I have never come across a soccer player who did not want to play in Europe.

So if the Mexican talent was top notch, the "elite" player would go to Europe.

You can argue this point back and forth all day, but it is what it is.

10. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I was actually nice in my previous post (something I don't have the reputation for) and our mod actually defends this troll? He came in here and started attacking Frank just because he said the Euro is the real World Cup. You can't expect the rest of us not to jump on this guy.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    the only player the really made it big was Hugo Sanchez, everybody else goes unnoticeable

12. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    ok... So lets look at Mexico and Portugal's record again... So we made the semi Finals of the Euro... then we made the finals of the Euro... We made the world cup... but got eliminated in the 1st round... Mexico made it past 1st round...and were able to tie Italy.... :eek: Wow I can't believe my eyes. Didn't Portugal Beat Spain, England and Holland? But All 3 of those teams had a higher ranking then Italy had. We beat them all. But Mexico Tied Italy and is able to defeat teams like Belize... yeah Mexico is very fairly ranked :confused:

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Out of respect for our Moderator I will cease to post on this thread, but I want mr troll from the Mexican Boards to know this:

We normally conduct ourselves well on these boards. What we take exception to are posters that are clearly Trolls and disguise themselves as innocent participants when the debate gets heated. If we were here just for the sake of throwing insults and racial slurs, we would head over to the WR forum:D

Peace......

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    did you ever been to a Mexican forum? its a disgrace they don't get more yellow cards

we are the best behaved people at Big Soccer com, we should get a medal of honor, for the way Porto, Benfica, and Sporting fans respect each other

15. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For the sake of complying with Mr. Anti-Troll..

My first post was not the Eurosnob one, which I felt was deserving seeing that Frank claimed the Euro was the real WC without providing any factual evidence to support this (a Eurosnob tactic), but purely stats on Mexico vs Portugal in ranking order.

:)

No trolling whatsoever. If you consider it a crime to defend one's country in an otherwise asinine discussion, then I guess I'm guilty.

Juveleo still did not rebuttle against Mexico's competition, or lack there of (according to him), other than to give me a free lesson on context.

Thanks, anyway. It doesn't exactly seem like you visit our forums to be making comments about carding but whatever. To each his own.

Nice to see Frank there even though he clearly stated he would not visit.

All's well.

Like my first post said, Don't be alarmed; I'm not the Portugal board police.

1st page of this thread has the stats to read. All on topic.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I wouldn't change my opinion, I never make a mistake, :)

17. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Alright guys.

I wasn't trying to place blame on one side, but I can see how it came off that way, and for that I apologize.

Let's be fair though. Hugo's first post was an argument about Mexico's strength of schedule as opposed to Portugal's. Then some folks jumped all over him. That being said, the insults sorta went both ways.

And yes, I have been to the Mexico forum, and I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. Let's face facts though, some of us get really defensive when someone criticizes Portuguese soccer. Just look at the "Diving" thread.

So just keep cool folks.

I'll keep this thread open if you guys start making reasoned arguments. Otherwise, I'll close it.

Thanks.

18. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fair enough. :D

I'm all ears.

19. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    No arguments about the 00 team, they were awesome. I loved watching them toy with Germany.

Yes Portugal had a successful tournament at home, except for losing to Greece twice. Come to think of it, in 6 games Portugal had IIRC 2 wins, 2 losses, and 2 ties at home. That is a truly stunning accomplishment.

And Mexico does have an easy qualification, no doubts about it, but their qualifiers earn less points that the Euro qualifiers, so that is already considered. Mexico also plays a lot of tournaments and friendlies. It is very unlikely the a game against the likes of Belize will ever be one of their top seven per year, which is what FIFA looks at. Mexico pounding Belize has as much meaning as Portugal pounding Lietchenstein, OOPS, make that Luxembourg.

Portugal has amazing quality, but they lack consistency. They have a more severe case of being Dutch than the Dutch have. Just look at the recent Lietchenstein and Russia games. That type of Jeckyl and Hyde play does not serve one well in the long run. Seriously, if Belgium (a solid, but unspectacular team) can qualify for 6 straight WCs, what the hell has Portugal been doing?

And I like Portugal, they play the beautiful game and from my perspective have really underacheived considering the quality of players they have. Portugul have has only 2 successful tournments in the last 20+ years and missed too many WCs.

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Portugal went on strike in 86 in Saltillo Mexico after winning the first game in the World Cup against England 1-0 :cool:

how many countries can say that :D

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we were eliminated in 98, if we would beat Germany we would be in they would be out, guess what we were winning 1-0 in Germany with 5 minutes to go, Rui Costa was going to be sub, when he was walking to the bench he got a second yellow, the coach couldn't make a sub and we had to play the rest of the game with 10 players, Germany tied at home and we were out of the World Cup

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    four years before, we would beat Italy we would be in, and they would be out, all we needed was a tied but they score a goal with a help of God, and we again stayed home

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    in 1966 Portugal went to the semi-finals of the World Cup against the host country, Portugal won the Group and was supposed to play in Liverpool, but England at the last minute found away to get the game change to London, was more conveniant, the referee twice didn't call penalties on Eusebio, and Portugal lost 2-1, eventual we beat USSR and finish in 3rd

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    1984 European Cup in France, Portugal reach the semi-finals Portugal was winning 2-1 with 5 minutes to go, a crazy called by the referee, they tied and we lost on O/T on a offside goal by Platini

France won the Cup

do you guys want more

25. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hey Frank, if you go over to the thread about "UEFA attacking divers" you can read some other facts about the 66 WC that I have written to contradict another troll over there. This guy even wrote that he knows Simoes personally.