Portugal NT

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by Jonathan Pimentel, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Predicted starting line up:

--------------------------C.Ronaldo--------------A.Silva
    -Guedes-----------------------------Mario-------------------------------B.Silva
    ---------------------------------------William
    -Coentrao-------------Pepe-----------------Fone----------------------Semedo
    ---------------------------------------Patricio

Bench:
    D.Jota
    R.Quaresma
    G.Martins
    Bruma
    Moutinho
    Danilo
    B.Fernandes?
    R.Neves?
    R.Guerreiro?
    B.Alves?
    Ruben Dias?
    Cedric?
    J.Cancelo?

Feel free to discuss the NT moving forward towards the biggest WC in Portuguese history.

JoseEmidio and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I repped you post despite not agreeing with your views on the other thread, mostly because I like to see a thread updating us on the players, formation, and other information about Portugal. We have that for Iran and Morocco and it would be good to have them for Spain and Portugal as well. But I suppose the absence of any Spain fans will not give us a thread for Spain.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  3. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Coentrão isn't starting over Guerreiro. Nor should he.

4. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'll use this thread to update the activity of the Portuguese player's likely to make the team, bench or starting with an asterisk beside players in question.
    Ee
    J.Mario got his first assist for West Ham today and seems to be adjusting to the premier league well.

B.Silva picked up another assist today for Man city and continues his solid form of late.

Ronaldo and Bruma* were not at their best today for Real Madrid and RasenBallsport Leipzig, though Bruma has been excellent the last couple games and seems to be well adjusted to playing in the Bundesliga.

I have to also say that Guerreiro should be starting over Coentrao. I mean Guerreiro was probably the most consistent performer during the Euro, and Coentrao despite his immense talent, will likely get injured anyway. I think Santos should call Coentrao to the team but also Antunes as 2 back ups might be necessary as even Guerreiro has been injury prone lately.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Honestly, prior to Guerreiros emergence, Coentrao was viewed as world class.. capable of starting at Real Madrid, unfortunately for him, two things got in the way.... injuries.. and Marcelo.

When healthy, which luckily for everybody he has been this season is still a world class LB.. given Guerreiros recent injury issues, combined with the fact he has been used a midfielder and not LB while with Borussia, i definitely believe Coentrao has the edge at the moment in regards to who claims the starting LB spot.

At the end of the day, my hope is both are healthy.. and both are called.. because they are both solid and important players moving forward if this team is going to be successful.. i have no issue with either starting, and having a player just as talented as their back up.

I would also tend to agree with you about your Mario/Bernardo points. This is great news for Portugal.

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Oh believe me, I think Coentrao might go down in history as one of the most talented fullbacks to never be able to show the world because he spends about 80% of his career injured. I just think you have to start the guy who will more likely stay fit and mold together along with the other 10. Even if Guerreiro has Been playing a midfield role for Dortmund, I don't think going back to LB will be any sort of issue.

7. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    It's ironic that you bring up Guerreiro's health when Coentrão has a worse history with injuries. Regardless, he's not injured any more, and has been back for a while, so I don't know why this is even an issue.

Where Guerreiro plays for Dortmund is irrelevant. What matters is that Santos has him as the first-choice LB. He still played him there even after Dortmund started using Guerreiro in midfield. So that won't matter. I don't even think Dortmund has moved him there permanently anyway, they just use him there from time to time.

Then there's the more important fact that Guerreiro is still better than Coentrão.

Guerreiro has one of the most secure spots in the starting XI. Having a decent season for Sporting isn't enough to oust him.

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yes, Coentrao does have a much worse injury history. He has also played many more years then Guerreiro too, naturally the list will be longer.

Anyways, Guerreiro has been back for 15 games, He has only started 10 of those games, has been subbed off in 4 of them, and went un-used in 1 of them. Hardly convincing of a player who has one of the more secure spots in Portugals starting XI.

Either way, ideally, it is in the best interest of all involved that both remain healthy, and play well leading up to the World Cup.

Not sure where this ever became an 'issue' as you described it.

9. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well anyway, the problem deciding between Guerreiro and Coentrao for LB is a good problem to have. The main issue and discussion we should have, is who will partner Pepe? This is our area of weakness. Edgar Ie? Vezo? Or right now my early pick R.Dias?

10. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica

Well, what are all options?

Jose Fonte?
    Bruno Alves
    Edgar Le
    Ruben Vezo
    Ruben Semedo? (how has he been playing)
    Ruben Dias? (my preferred option if he gets a chance in the friendlies.. and performs well)

11. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    R.Semedo has been injured almost they entire year. B.Alves has also been injured for awhile and also wasn't playing very well prior. Edgar has been pretty decent and deserves a look imo. Vezo has just started getting playing time and been decent. Fonte, of course is the natural choice and returned from injury just 2 weeks ago but is still not playing though there is time. That is why Dias is my choice, we just have to see how he does against higher competition, though he was good against Man U.

12. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    Out of curiosity, did Rolando quit the national team or has he just not been selected in the past 4 years? I looked up his stats and so far, he has 19 starts + 2 substitutions out of 25 league games for Olympique Marseille, who are currently 2nd place in Ligue 1. While it's been a while since he was in a tournament with Portugal (Euro 2012), I think he is playing at a high enough level to be a contender for the final squad.

13. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    B.Silva started yet again for Man city in their champions league gave vs Basel. He picked up a goal and had a very good game. I think this is 5 games consecutive he has started, looks like he has gained the trust of Pep.

Guedes returned from a minor injury against Barcelona last week. He didn't pick up any points but looked dangerous immediately.

Ronaldo is starting to score again which is always a good thing.

Pepe scored off a Quaresma corner for Besiktas last week as well.

J.Mario played another good game for West Ham, should have picked up an assist if it wasn't for a wrongly called offside.

Cancelo and R.Pereira have both been is good form lately, throw in N.Semedo and we have a good battle for RB.

If we go into the WC with B.Silva, Ronaldo, Guedes and Pepe healthy, I'll be uber confident.

14. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good couple of days for Portuguese player's.

Ronaldo with 2 goals yesterday, 1 was a penalty. Overall, good game.

Porto got thrashed, but only Ricardo Pereira has a chance of playing for Portugal as Danilo is injured. Didn't watch the game so don't know how he performed.

Martins, B.Fernandes and William were all solid today, especially Fernandes. It was against weak opposition though. Fernandes with a penalty goal and Martins also scored.

Manuel Fernades scored a hatrick and single handedly got lokomotiv the win over nice today. This guy was always so immensely talented, so it's amazing he is back in the fold.

Bruma scored today in a win over Napoli. He was subbed off around the 80th minute with the highest player rating.

The negative is A.Silva still can't get playing time.

15. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yup, i agree with everything you have said.. most with the fact A.Silva can not get playing time.

There are always two ways of looking at everything though... he can enter the tournament rusty, not having played or he can enter really fresh because he hasnt played.

Either way, i am not to concerned with A.Silva, you dont just forget how to play the game, and would look at it more of him being fresh, he is still getting minutes, just limited minutes, combined with the fact Ronaldo has found his form, and the chemistry they have shown in the past.. looking good.

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jose Fonte, hope he does not get picked rather have Alves over him

17. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica

Well, Jose Fonte has now completed a transfer to China.. so your wish has come true.

It is looking like we will roll with either Pepe/Alves.... or Pepe/Dias

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  18. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Bruno Alves plays in Scotland, not much better.

And to update the LB situation, Mário Rui of Napoli deserves consideration.

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    what about Frederico Venâncio playing at Sheffield Wednesday? seen him play 2 times now vs Swansea looked ok

20. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    I knew it was only a matter of time before Rolando returned to the national team. That's not to say that he is guaranteed a spot in the final squad, but at least he is one of the centre-backs that Fernando Santos is closely monitoring.

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/...res-rolando-revient-en-selection-1396544.html

Nani_17 repped this.
  21. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I havent followed Marseille.. or Rolando closely at all this season, therefore i question how good his performances have been.

Obviously, given a few people around here have stated he has played well, and that Santos has called him up.. he must be playing well.

At this point i would still favor experimenting with Ruben Dias, given his youth and aerial ability, but in Santos we trust!

Nani_17 repped this.
  22. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yesterday was another great week for the Portuguese strikers. 4 goals for Ronaldo and for the second straight week a game winner for Andre Silva.

Nani_17 repped this.
  23. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Great weekend for the Portuguese. Ronaldo reminding everyone why he simply will go down as a legend, A.Silva with his second consecutive game winner, G.Martins scores and J.Cancelo picks up an assist for inter. After being called up, even Rolando scores, though he didn't have a good defensive game.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    At the moment, I am concerned with Joao Mario's confidence. He has been struggling a bit as of late as well as lack of playing time.

25. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed! Hopefully everyone is playing this well by the time WC starts. I know Andre Silva and Ronaldo had some good chemistry in the qualifiers, so I am not too worried about them. Yeah Martins just gets better and better each year.