Portugal-england(R)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Fender playa, Sep 7, 2002.

1. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I agree Baia was not at fault at all.
    Just think its time for new blood in goal.

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I am opposed to change for the sake of change. If either Ricardo, Quim, Nelson or Nuno beat out Baia, then fine. Let's not just advocate change because we need new blood.

3. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    In fairness to myself.

I thought Ricardo was the better keeper in this game anyway.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    To me Quim is the best goalkeeper, its a shame is not with a top 3 team, but Baia got the experience.
    Remember Zoff he was part of the World Champion Italy at 40 yrs old. in 1982.

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Its good to have all this goalkeepers ready to take over, lets not forget Nuno Espirito Santo and I still in doubt if Benfica can win the championship with Moreira in goal. Will soon find out.

6. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Frank,

I am not so sure about your Big 3 theory. At one time during qualitfying last year, Portugal had three Boavista players (INCLUDING Ricardo) in the starting lineup. As for Baia, the job appears his to keep. He seems to be getting back into form. Remember, he only made it back into the Porto lineup late last season.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Boavista winning one championship to Porto and Sporting 19, and Benfica 30 you can't compare Boavista , its just not fair.
    Belenenses also won one championship, and can't be compare to the big three. That's my opinion, when Boavista wins 5 championships in the next 10 years then I might change my opinion, its not taking nothing away from Boavista.

8. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I guess you completely missed my point. You are saying that if Quim played on the Big 3, he would be the starting keeper. I am merely saying that there are (or were) three starters from Boavista, a non Big 3 team, during qualifying. I am not trying to compare Boavista with the Big 3.

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Ok going back to Quim is a lot better goalie then Ricardo, in my opinion and others, but he don't get the respect he deserves.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Just finish watch the first half of the Portugal vs England the game is been replay on the Fox Sports World. See you guys after the second half.
    The goal for England was a beauty by Alan Smith.
    Baia was piss were was the coverage?

11. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Rui Jorge had to pinch towards the middle because of an England player coming in all alone. That English player played the ball out wide to the right to an open player which in return made a beautiful cross in which Alan Smith got to without being challenged.
    Meira was the defender on Alan Smith.
    Baia had no chance and I liked the fact that Baia started going off on his defenders.

Meira by the way besides that play, had a solid game.

12. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Let’s give Smith and Bowyer some credit for the goal. Pure class. Perfect execution. IIRC, the coverage was not that bad.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Portugal played a great second half. Its a different story when you watch the game on TV.
    Portugal hit the post twice.
    Costinha goal was a beauty, again I ask were was the coverage.
    Ricardo Ok job , very little work
    Joao M. Pinto had a couple great playes on defence in the last 10 minutes of the game.
    Paulo Ferreira won the corner kick that Hugo Viana took to the head of Costinha.
    Hugo was excellent
    Costinha after the Boavista game you could tell his was back to his all form.
    Capucho give it all in name of the team
    Nuno Gomes work hard
    Meira and Petit were kept the longest on the field
    Nuno Valente didn't get affect buy his first cap.
    Boa Morte should his back from injury

Excelent work, a way to show the World Portugal still got great players.

14. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I agree it was a great goal. Just was giving the play by play or at least what I think it was.

Alan Smith is a great young player for England.

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Baia didn't think so, he was yelling at somebody.