Portugal at Euro 84

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by dor02, May 15, 2011.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Portugal 1984 squad:

1 Bento (c)
    • 2 Nené
    • 3 Jordão
    • 4 Chalana
    • 5 Vermelhinho
    • 6 F. Gomes
    • 7 C. Manuel
    • 8 Veloso
    • 9 J. Pinto
    • 10 Lima Pereira
    • 11 Eurico
    • 12 J. Martins
    • 13 A. Sousa
    • 14 Frasco
    • 15 Pacheco
    • 16 Bastos Lopes
    • 17 Álvaro
    • 18 E. Luís
    • 19 Diamantino
    • 20 Damas

I was reading about Euro 84 and I was fascinated by Portugal's team. Aside from the 1966 World Cup, this was the best performance by Portugal before the "Golden Generation" emerged.

Around this time, Benfica lost the 1983 UEFA Cup Final and Porto lost the 1984 European Cup Winners' Cup Final. What I also found interesting was that there were quite a few players over 30, especially strikers. Guys like Nene and Jordao are greats in the Portuguese game.

What made this team do better than the other Portuguese team of the past? Were Benfica and Porto fortunate to have good coaches like Eriksson and Pedroto? Was Fernando Cabrita better than other national coaches? Why couldn't the likes of Bento, Nene, Diamantino and Jordao bring them success in the 70s? Why did they have to wait until they reached their 30s to get this opportunity?

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont know Im too young and only remember football from the mid 90s up.

Maybe some other posters can explain.?

Looking at the team sheet, I am familiar with alot of those names. they have good reputation in Portuguese football.

Maybe one reason they were good is , as you said most of them played on the same teams like Porto Benfica and Sporting . helps with team chemistry, but also apparently Ive heard that in those days the rivalries between the big 3 clubs led to dispute and infighting within the national team setup and compromised results.

Ive watched the semi final with France in 84 before, Portugal played with alot of heart in that game. Probably the most honourable defeat in the teams history. Fernando Chalana played very well in that match. Even though they were outsiders, it was clear by watching them that the team was skillful and had talent, not like some other n00b teams who fluke their way to semi finals.

Of course they couldnt build off this result with a showing in Mexico 86 and the Saltillo affair that was disatrous made the FPF clean house and Portugal had to wait a decade to qualify for another tournament - Euro 96 the first time I got to watch them play at the tournament.

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can someone explain what the hell happened in the 86 world cup?

Beat England 1-0 in the opening match and then the team goes on strike?:confused:

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ya Pretty much

I guess they just did it for teh lulz?

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's a Wiki link but this had something to do with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltillo_Affair

To me, it showed that great strikers don't make great coaches. That also made me wonder how much of Portugal's success in 1984 was down to Cabrita. Based on what happened at Euro 84 and Mexico 86, Cabrita must have done things Torres didn't. It would be good if a Portuguese poster could post something on his methods or tactics.

I've only seen highlights of Portugal from that tornament and Chalana looked like a very good player.

Speaking of "noob" teams, is that a reference to Spain, who somehow reached the Euro 84 Final?

6. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    In 1986, there were issues before and during the tournament. Players were underpaid, got put up in dingy hotels and no proper pre-tournament friendlies were arranged. Instead they played small local teams which included waiters & cooks from the hotel they were staying at....it was a disgrace.

I understand the players fustrations with all this but I think they still should have handled it better. You have to play your all everytime you wear the Portuguese jersey.

Some other factors that might explain Portugal's performance -

1 - 1984 best player Chalana out injured.

2 - Our best goalie, Bento, got injured after the first game and missed the final two matches. His replacement, Damas (an all-time great) was not prepared.

3 - That seasons best goal scorer, Manuel Fernandes (30 goals), was excluded from the squad.

4 - Veloso was excluded from the squad for supposed doping.

5 - Torres didnt take advantage of Porto's attacking duo, Gomes & Futre.
    He waited until the last game to put them both in the starting lineup...to late at that point.

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that it's stupid that Torres didn't pick Fernandes. He might have been old but he was the leading goalscorer in Portugal. The leading goalscorer of a league must go to the World Cup. Simple.

Futre and Gomes should have been guaranteed starters. They were the stars of the great Porto sides of the 80s.

Back to topic, what are your opinions on Euro 84?