Alert: PORTUGAL 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP FINALS - *GENERAL DISCUSSION*

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    They probably are.Mexican players had the game of their lives, and Germany put out one of their poorest performance in the recent years, otherwise Germany would have folded Mexico like a chair. Still, Germany looked surprisingly sluggish, uninspired for most of the game, they were rarely able to create real chances, especially when you know mexico doesn't have in the defense their best asset. South Korea and Sweden are serious contenders.
    Hearing Mexican fans going "olé, olé" when the score the score was still 0-0 doesn't make them endearing though.

2. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    If Germany finish 2nd, Spain finish 2nd, Argentina finish 2nd, France finish 1st, Brazil finish 1st, and Belgium finish 1st... They will all be on the same side of the knock out bracket while Portugal and England go to the other side.

Euro 2016 all over again.

JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    HandofAbel repped this.
  4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think the "olé, olé" at 0-0 is funny and 0-0 as a final score against Germany is good, maybe they thought that, that was the Best result they could achieve but México 1 Germany 0 :D

LGRod repped this.
  5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Some say to be the Best you have to beat the Best, I say win the tournament, that is all, if we only Play ordinary teams while doing (even though we have already played Spain and we beat France in Paris, France), they even better ;)

6. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was reading about 1994, the semis had Bulgaria and Sweden. But no one says Brazil's fourth title was unearned. Bulgaria!

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    With all these surprise results I think there's a good chance England can go on and beat Tunisia.

SCP_16 and AlexJones19 repped this.
  8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets not get carried away.

nbstriker8 repped this.
  9. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lol!

On a serious note, I do feel this English team will go far. They just seem different with much more pace than previous English teams.

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The idiots finally noticed that better teams like Spain, Portugal, Germany (post 2002), Serbia had excellent youth sides that (what do you know) help create top tier A sides. Their youth sides are maybe just below us, but they have more money and people (Serbia hás less than us in both) so they might go ahead of us if they have not already in the youth sides.

Do not watch the PL but I think that this side is less overrated than the others ones, however we had excellent youth sides for decades and only won the Euro 2016 with Santos, Ronaldo and to a lesser extent the other players, Santos as we know hás been key to our success.

How long Will it take before their winning mentality in the youth translates to their A side (a while), then they need a good coach, and some luck to actually win something, [ 1966 (%(%%/779?), their European campaigns is quite abismal 4 group exits in the 9 tornaments they have been in. ]

How far Will they get? QF at most, they have only got to the semi-finals twice, in 1990 and 1966, I do not expect them to reach the SF, (out of 14 tournaments they have got to the QF and lost 6 times).

NewLaw83 repped this.
  11. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am geeking out on this World Cup and watched all games so far...

The favorites have let everybody down.
    They are all just talented individuals that do not gel very ideally as a team. They play like a bunch of Belgium's and Holland's. The only one that looks like a true favorite at this point is Spain.

It really looks like it is going to be an unpredictable tournament.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agree, but with Hierro they are now at a disadvantage, as he hás very little mangerial experience and even if the Spanish can Play on Automatic mode, key decisions like tactics and subs have to be made, imagine this side if they and Lopetegui had not shot themselves in the foot? Might very well be the difference between winning the tournament and getting to the QF-SM.

Have to work but work four days then have four days off, to binge.

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been fantastic World Cup so far. Uruguay and Portugal not playing up to their level but getting the results most anticipated.

Germany, Spain, Brasil, Argentina all looking ripe for the picking. France didn’t impress me all that much either.

Switzerland, Mexico, Iceland making things interesting!

And still two full groups to play. Great tournament so far!

14. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Put a fiver on Panama, hope this upset train keeps going

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Saudi special!

16. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm getting killed here man

Put 15 on Tunisia, 3 Lions are done

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say quit while you’re ahead but...
    Lol

Good luck!

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I think it's time to stop putting your money on some of the worst teams at the tournament: Saudi Arabia, Panama, Tunisia...

That Belgium result was the most predictable yet. After other highly thought of teams failed to impress through the weekend, I knew Belgium would cruise to victory and get all those who insist they could go all the way excited. I'm pretty sure I predicted 3-0 before the tournament.

It'll be interesting to see if Tunisia can find a way to hang around. Down 1-0, lost their keeper, giving up chances, but if England don't put this away with another goal, Tunisia has the ability to get one back.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Sure enough, Tunisia has gotten into the game a bit, England has wasted chances, and it's 1-1 after 36 minutes... artielange84's still got a chance!

I don't know what Walker was thinking swinging his elbow around like that in the penalty area. Nothing good could possibly come from that and VAR won't miss it.

20. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Kane absolutely got Rugby/American Football tackled in the box and no penalty... Where is the consistency? England are so unlucky to be drawn right now could easily be up 3 or 4 goals with the chances they have had.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    #96 portugamerifinn, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    I didn't think he was tackled as much as he was wrapped up and sold it as a tackle by letting himself fall. The penalty called in the Croatia-Nigeria match was a full-on tackle. That said, it should still be a penalty.

You should not be able to wrap your arms around your opponent on a corner or free kick to impede their movement. I kinda get why VAR let that one go, but at some point they'll need to call plays like that so that the players know they won't be able to get away with it.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I have to see it again and I agree with everything else. Like you said, it was a penalty.

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Whatever you do, Tunisia, don't mark the one MFing English player who can put the ball in the net...

Can England and France play a knockout match against each other right now so I don't have to spend the next week and a half watching them pull wins out of their butts?

24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL Agree with everything you say here!

25. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m bringing you to Vegas

JoseEmidio and artielange84 repped this.