Alert: PORTUGAL 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP FINALS - *GENERAL DISCUSSION*

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Well Santo's has a problem every coach likes to have, difficulty trying to figure out who to start because of some great options. I believe Guedes starts with Ronaldo but it really comes down to what style Santo's wants to play in this World Cup, if were going to be a possession team and try and score goals we start Bruno with Moutinho and Carvalho and Silva. If were going to be a little more defensive probably Mario and possibly Adrien, although I think Moutinho has nailed down that central role. I really don't know what he is going to do versus Spain, and I have no clue who I would choose, Mario or Bruno. In the Morroco and Iran games I would start the same attacking lineup versus Algeria. Tough tough decision though.

Centre back although we all feel it will be Fonte alongside Pepe, we really don't know what Santos will do. He started Dias, Fonte, and Alves in all 3 friendlies with Pepe, clearly he wanted to gauge who should start, so really we have no clue. It all depends on training as well and who he thinks is the best player currently to partner Pepe, I won't be surprised if its any of the 3 although right now id say Fonte.

I am really confident in this game versus Spain, The counter attack of Guedes, Ronaldo and Bernardo could be elite and cause a lot of troubles, but as well as Bruno it could be world class and all of a sudden catapult us into legit contenders. Bruno is good defensively as well, he tracks back and tackles, so is he really going to hurt them versus Spain if they start him over Mario? But I honestly love Joao Mario as a player, maybe its best to start Mario, and bring in Bruno around the 65th minute.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Here you go, folks. Arrived in Moscow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NewLaw83, vilafria, verde-rubro and 2 others repped this.
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #28 unclesox, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Team arrives at their base.
    Bus arrival starts around 38:20 of video.

eurodad, Sumol and Jonathan Pimentel repped this.
  4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos really reminds me of the Peruvian drug lord from Scarface.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Narcotraficante

Sumol repped this.
  6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #31 Sumol, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Spain only beat Tunisia 1-0 and that goal came in the 85th minute.

Is Tunisia that good or are people expecting too much from Spain?

We should have beat Tunisia 2-0 easily but we dozed off in the second half.

====
    =======
    =========

France ties unqualified USA 1-1

Very embarrassing and worrying for a favorite.

[​IMG]

NewLaw83 repped this.
  7. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm getting pretty optimistic about this. Our subs for one are going to be solid. Santos has shown a shrewd sense about which sub to use at what time, that was one of my favorite things about the Euro, seeing his substitutions make an impact and crush the will of the opponents.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I also think he had one of his best games for the NT in this last WC preparation game vs Algeria, and that he'll start vs Spain.

9. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Bigtime. Adrien is good defensively but Moutinho is no slouch in that department either. I am comfortable with him in the midfield along with Carvalho, Mario/Bruno, and Bernardo. I don't really get why people act like we can't have a midfield containing Moutinho and Mario/Bruno and Bernardo, that those players would get exposed versus good teams. How come Belgium, France, Spain, Germany, England, Argentina, Brazil, can all play with one defensive mid and creative midfielders in front of them? I believe we now have the players to be a strong possession team ala the 2006 WC team where we went toe to toe with Netherlands, England, France.

NewLaw83 and verde-rubro repped this.
  10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal's arrived to their rooms with childhood pictures framed, reminding them of their dreams.

https://m.imgur.com/a/1tmdwYX

Absolutely fantastic!

11. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That’s awesome and something that would’ve never happened 30+ years ago.

The FPF has come a long way. I remember when I thought Portugal, outside of a couple of runs in 1966 and 1984 was just not good at football.

Later, after becoming a seleção megafan, and looking into Portuguese football history, I learned that we have always produced excellent players. The national program was run by clowns for far to long. You see the players now walking around together in matching suits, everything is class.

NewLaw83, dipluso, OndaVerde and 2 others repped this.
  12. Bacalhau

Bacalhau Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Finally had some free time yesterday to catch some preview shows and catch up on the latest news. I love the way we are prepped for this tournament, the selection, and the “feel” inside and outside the team.

Preparation - great build up in friendlies, great use of all players, great training grounds, great focus on the team (not clubs)

Selection - such a spoil of riches. I’d love to give my 2 cents on my starting 11 but really you could insert players 1-16 as starters and we’re in good shape...tell me when in our lifetime have we said that? Maybe 2004/2006.

The “feel” - in the squad they are contenders no favourites tag, no outsiders tag...just contenders and I love it. No big egos coming in, no lofty expectations (unneeded pressure)
    Outside the squad this team isn’t given any credit / respect. I’ve watched /
    Listened / read a dozen preview shows with predictions and none had us moving beyond the round of 16 and 4 had us third in the group. Put that into perspective - these are the reigning European Champs, a team that is better today than two years ago, a team that’s dropped 1 competitive match in two years. What better way to stoke the us vs the world mentality??

We are primed for success - the preparation is there and the execution will no doubt be there. I see this as a very similar approach to the 2016 tournament with the exception of having an easier time finding goal. I believe we will come out and beat Spain. Spain don’t fear me - in fact no teams fear me for the reasons above. I feel we will be prepped for each match (courtesy the engineer) and are primed to take this tournament. Yes that’s being bold and perhaps a homer however the team has already shown they can win a tournament and there’s no reason to believe they can’t do it now.

Side note - my euro 2000, 2004 and World Cup 2006 jerseys still fit. I plan to add to the collection this year (and this time have the winning goal scorer name and number on the back.)

Side note 2 - where is thread starter @GoodDead? The above all hinges on his thread kickoff!

As armas! `As armas!
    Sobre a terra e sobre o mar!
    `As armas! `As armas!
    Pela Pa'tria lutar!

Contra os canho~es marchar, marchar!!!!

Força Portugal!

13. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    NewLaw83 repped this.
  14. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Wow. That is incredible. Who's started cutting onions around here?!
    So proud of the FPF - we've come a long way since even 20 years ago.

nbstriker8, HandofAbel and NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Awesome! Who ever thought of that needs a raise!

nbstriker8 repped this.
  16. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So true. I couldn't be more proud being Portuguese now in the sport of futbol.

HandofAbel repped this.
  17. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well said, Bacalhau!

18. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yesterday I was able to meet up with my parents in Boston at city hall for the Boston Portuguese Festival. Portugal President Marcelo de Sousa showed up made a speech. The city of Boston declared June 10th as Portugal Day in Boston. I want to say about 60% of the people had a shirt representing the Seleçao. This made me more pumped up for the WC! Friday can't come soon enough!

Força Portugal!

HandofAbel repped this.
  19. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal is so underrated this year, none of these pundits spent any time actually watching Portugal games or our players (other than Ronaldo). If we don't win a friendly its evidence, if another team doesnt win a friendly 'friendlies don't count'.

Its ironic for us, where most of us have less issues with this selecao than possibly any other Portugese selecao in recent memory. I put $150 on Portugal to win the cup at 28-1 odds. The odds on us winning are just disrespectful.

Sumol, NewLaw83 and artielange84 repped this.
  20. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Any world cup commercials in Portugal? For the last Euro there was that epic commercial featuring ronaldo and 11 million Portuguese on the pitch.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a quick, unbiased bracket. Wasn't looking to move Portugal very far along and went game by game on it's own accord.

Have us losing to Germany in the finals. We beat Brasil in the semis, France in the quarters and Uruguay in the round of 16.

That would be quite the road to the final!

22. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I did the same, on fifa website.

I have:

Portugal > Russia
    Portugal > Nigeria
    Portugal > Colombia
    Portugal > Brasil

23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Colombia as good as 4 years ago? I actually took Senegal and Poland from that group

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patrício, William Carvalho, Gelson and Bruno Fernandes are without a team for next year so the World Cup is a wonderful opportunity to showcase themselves to the rest of Europe.

This is going PERFECT.