Pre-match: Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 10/27) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I am expecting this game to be played in much the same way the team played the final game of the year last season. In that game it was all hands on deck to get Wondo two goals and the Golden Boot. This year they will all be looking for him to get him the scoring record.

If you remember back to last year I think it was Ring that got behind the defense and in on goal but essentially held up the play to wait for wondo so he could take the shot.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't remember the team playing for Wondo to get goals, at least in an obvious way, but I may have just missed it. I think that was a beat down of Dallas. Dawkins scored two and Baca scored one on some kind of break IIRC, so if they were working that hard to let Wondo be the goal scorer, they weren't doing a very good job (other than of course letting him take the PK). :)

3. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two wishes:

1: nobody get hurt

2: score, score Wondo

Other than that I don't really give a ********.

Beerking and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you lips to gods ears. Tough place to play, but that defense is ripe for the picking. If theres a defense where wono can come up with a multiple goal game, it is toronto and these guys

5. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wasn't injured with a wrist sprain, I'd throw Bingham in the game to get some Wondo assists and revenge for his flub last game in Portland. Then again Busch has been on fire . . .

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah.....dude, i love me some Jon Busch. Bingham better get used to getting splinters in his rear because due is showing no signs of letting up. If he shows this well next year during his contract year......we gotta extend him. Hes just so reliable. I was initially in favor of Brett Favring him, an letting Bingham be Rodgers......but hell, if it aint broke dont fix it. If Busch is still perfoming, pay the man.

Never occurred to me that Bingham might ride out his Gen Ad contact on the bench, but business is business. I get to thinking seriously that MacIntosh is probably seriously our next in line. That kid is a BEAST too, legitimate national team candiate in the future. The stops that kid makes are rediculous. I was surprised we didnt make him our first acadamy signing, he deserved it in every way.

7. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of our underpaid players remind me of this

Mglnbea repped this.
  8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer we're not playing Toronto...

9. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007

I actually had the chance to talk to Wondo about this recently and he remembers it the same way I do. They were going out of their way to get him the ball. Unfortunately he fell one goal shy of winning the boot.

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, if you heard it from the source, can't argue with that :). I seem to remember that he hit the post or something in that one too, once or twice?

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be hilarious to see an all out attack all game, with no regard for the score or winning. Wondo up top and everyone feeding him the ball.. A 3-5-2 or something like that. But ah well. Just hoping he gets a brace..

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    On Portland's shitty little plastic pitch that may or may not be waterlogged why expose our starters to possible injury? This game is meaningless except for Wondo's record, we have our playoff position set, why risk anything?

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the conundrum.. At the same time, we can start reserves+Wondo and maybe we get held scoreless and are just left thinking "what if?" Yea, I wouldn't want Yallop's job.

One thing is for sure though - every guy on this team will be eager/willing to be on that field and help Wondo score. If up to each guy, I know what their answers would be.

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stand the plastic pitch, and it is too damn small for sure. When they did the remodel of the stadium, they could have made the pitch larger, and they should have.

On the upside, it's easy to get the water off of it. You just squeegee the damn thing, and you're good to go. But the ball still bounces too high, there's serious risk of rug burn on it, and the ball runs too fast. Whatever, this is the pitch we have to play on, so that's how it is.

And I expect Frank to run out the starters, at least mostly.

I want a Wondo brace!! And good beer!!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

15. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is question mainly of pride, FY want to win everything (golden boot including)...but exposing our best guys out there for injuries is a catch 22.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Lenhart said in a post game interview that they were all looking for Wondo against LA. They are well aware of him and will fight to get him chances. No one else cares if they score, they just want to help him

17. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    We're going to go all out with starters this game and try to score 5 goals.

We've only played one match in 3 weeks and we were sloppy, so this will be the tune up game.

I don't think Portland's surface has any greater history of injury than any other.

For sure we'll see a bunch of subs at the hour mark to keep guys like Salinas and Corrales fresh. Not sure about Opara's concussion status. Sounds like Gordon won't get minutes.

Neuwerld and markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if you give up 10 goals in this game because you are pushing 10 players forward. Do whatever it takes to get Wondo at least 4 solid scoring chances... Statistically, he scores on almost every other shot on goal...

He is WAYYYYY better than Lassiter ever was and he deserves the record BIG TIME. All of the MLS fans (except Portland) are cheering for him! And let's make sure MLS signs him to a big fat DP extension for San Jose and keeps him here. He is the emerging face of MLS as Beckham goes toward retirement and Donovan winds his career down.

20. hardcorrwin

hardcorrwin Member

Aug 6, 2010
    NM
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    touché

that way we can make up for them taking us out in '83

21. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, as long as Wondo gets 2 I don't care that much about the result. It would be awesome to see a wide open, high-scoring game.

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, wide open, high scoring, like four or five to nil. That's what I want. I do not want to see the Timbers score two or three goal. I do not want to see and hear Timbers fans dancing in the stands. I do not want to be taunted by fans of one of the very worst teams in the league. The Timbers suck, and they should reap the benefits of having sacked Spencer in the middle of the season.

Four or five to nil, I'd be OK with six also.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

don gagliardi repped this.
  23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland are missing a few guys to injury

http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2012/...ng-quotes-and-notes-end-of-the-season-edition

the athletic but raw jean-baptiste may be starting on their back line

24. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ideally, yeah, 6-0 would be great, but if it took something like the 5-3 game against DC to get Wondo 2 goals I'd take it (funnily enough, I actually dreamt we won a game 6-4 last night, but I don't know/remember who the opponent was).

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Comments I've been reading in various articles, blogs and threads make me believe that the TA folks are whipping themselves into an apoplectic frenzy regarding the possibility that Wondo may eclipse the long-standing MLS scoring record astride the prostrate corpse of their pathetic excuse of a team...

DotMPP repped this.