Portland Timbers Army 2006 Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Lendog, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Portland Timbers v Vancouver Whitecaps (Fri 5 May) mp3 download

* AUDIO ONLY *

Portland Timbers vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
    2006 United Soccer Leagues First Division
    Friday 5 May 2006
    PGE Park, Portland, Oregon

Whitecaps radio commentary by MOJO 730 AM (captured from Internet stream at mojoradio.ca)
    MPEG Layer-3 (MP3) audio
    56 kBit/s; 24,000 Hz; in stereo
    Total size: 62.8 MB
    Total running time: approx. 2h 30m

Download is one MP3, and includes:
    - pre-match
    - 1st half
    - half-time
    - 2nd half
    - post-match

DOWNLOAD HERE:
    http://www.vancouversouthsiders.com/media/Southsiders Production-Portland vs Vancouver.mp3

[​IMG]

Photos and a video clip of the match can be found at: http://timbers.soccercityusa.com/van050506.htm

2. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait til I return in August!!!!!

4. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a few questions about PGE Park. This is the first season Timbers have played there right? (Where did they play last year?). Also, is there a different turf for soccer and baseball that they pull up after each game?

It looked like a good stadium on tv last night despite Sounders' 2 goals in 30 seconds :D

5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Sounded great, though the astroturf looked poor.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  7. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    PGE Park (used to be Civic Stadium) is where the Timbers have played for all of their years in the USL. It's also where the NASL Timbers played.

It also has a few more distinctions in being where Pele played his last professional game (Soccer Bowl '77) and the only stadium in the world to host games in two consecutive World Cups (men's or women's). It hosted games in the 1999 and 2003 Women's World Cup.

The sections of turf where the bases are located are pulled up and filled in with dirt for baseball. The turf is degrading pretty badly as it's now six years old, though it has seemed softer than usual the past few matches. Either the heat makes it softer, or it's been watered (or soaked with rain) as it has a little more give than usual.

It's scheduled to be replaced with new turf next year. We'll just have to see if that happens. I don't want Field Turf either as I've seen how badly Field Turf pitches degrade after a few years.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Any plans for a SSS in Portlands future ?

And more props to Timbers Army.

9. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter New Member

Feb 10, 2006

Zzzzz, who cares?

10. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Well, there's only one stadium in the world you can say that about, and it happens to be here.

No SSS stadium in the planning here, though if they kicked out the Beavers (AAA baseball), put down grass, and put a permanent grandstand along what is "left field" in baseball configuration, it would be a SSS as nice as any in the country. They've done that configuration for the Women's World Cup and it works pretty well. Fortunately the grandstands are better configured for soccer than baseball.

Here's what it looks like in that configuration:

[​IMG]

11. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    BTW, make sure blame is properly attributed... it's NeXturf. Never again. Of course, there's a RUMOR out there that the baseball team had padding pulled out of the system, which really hasn't helped our players.

12. nopity

nopity New Member

Jul 29, 2006
  13. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am a huge soccer fan, but couldn't attend a single Timbers game yet...my work schedule changed though and I'll be there for the remaining 3 Thursday home games...atmosphere seems to be awesome but I don't know if I'll be sitting with those rowdy folks with chainsaws :D.

14. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you won't be sitting with us, because we STAND the whole time!!!

Sing Loud Sing Proud and if you don't know pre-match is at the Bull Pen and Bitter End, post match at the Bull Pen. Also check talktimbers.com for info on a end of season tailgate.

15. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what the news on the team being purchased? I thought about a year ago or was it two about a group buy both the Timbers and the baseball team from your current owners the Pacific Coast League. But since then I haven't heard anything. It seems for this last year your budget was reduced.

16. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The deal was finalized in June. The Timbers are locked in until at least 2010, from what the report says and what we heard separately:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/115052219998090.xml&coll=7

As for the budget, what I heard was that the new owners wanted our new Coach/GM to prove that the team could operate without losing money, and that the team is operating on what may be the smallest budget in the league (or close to it) and while it's showing on the field as we are currently in 11th place, we've been told the team will break even this year.

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's great news for you guys. Hopefully you can get some additional budget and front office staff. If you had some additional resources I would think you could have Rochester and Montreal type attendances.

18. Harvest FC

Harvest FC New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Napa, CA
    Just wanted to say I was up in the area last weekend and caught the Timbers/Thunder game. First time at PGE. Love the location of the park, the game was good quality (even though the Timbers lost, despite outplaying the Thunder) and the Timbers Army is great!

5,000 or so in the stadium and the place was loud. Great atmoshpere. Will definitely be back.

19. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland