Portland Timbers Add U-23 PDL Team

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by olephill2, Nov 13, 2008.

1. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timbers to add premier development team in 2009
    http://www.portlandtimbers.com/newsroom/headlines/index.html?article_id=1024

Great news! This is a terrific avenue for the development of local talent, and could directly benefit the Portland Timbers USL-1 team while also enhancing the reputation of the Pacific Northwest as a soccer hotbed.

2. Maverick2

Maverick2 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    That is a great idea, I know many have been awaiting this. I would love to try and join the team, and of course the USL-1 Timbers will benefit from some homegrown talent.

3. tritown

tritown New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but why play games at PGE? Shouldn't they play elsewhere to get other neighborhoods interested in the Timbers?

4. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    That's the plan... except for, from what we hear, maybe one game at PGE.

Vancouver, Hillsboro have been mentioned in previous discussions. I recall a preseason match in Forest Grove last year... who knows.

I'd be more cautionary... more than two homes in a given year can cause a bit of location dyslexia IMO... but again, who knows.

5. Lord_Jacious

Lord_Jacious New Member

Apr 19, 2009

Next year they should schedule a game or two at one of the SE PPS high schools. There is a lot of fans in SE that would come out for this. Cleveland HS at 33rd & Powell has an excellent field.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think They should try and run the matches (the regular season matches all act as fundraisers for varous youth organizations FYI) at Gresham HS and Cleveland HS. Both have good stadiums for this type of thing. Also, I'd LOVE another match at the Kiggins Bowl next year. That was a great venue. Sun was blocked in the afternoon, LOTS of people. It was cool.