Portland, Oregon DC Fans. Are there any besides Ursula?

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by Barbara, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

2. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I was just watching this thing on the Fine Living Channel about brew pubs and they did a thing about that place. I can't wait!

The best bookstore ever.

3. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYI on the SIP and DIP.......The mermaids are....well.....not swiming that much...I would suggest you hit the City Bar...across the way!!!....Tell the Bartenders that Doug says Hello!!....I am pretty sure they will have a few special order Guinness left over before I left!!

;)

~worm~

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Whoo Hoo!

Hi folks- especially Barbara and Balck&Red#17- sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. That's great news that I might get joined by other DCU fanatics! A fair amount of soccer fans here but I'm pretty much the whole DCU fan club. You are goona love it out here though. I grew up in Maryland, including several years in the District, and this beats that by a friggin' mile. So Barbara (expecially since you are moving to PDX itself) I'll be glad to help orient you out here- show you stuff, help to figure out where to live, etc- whatever- just let me know.

5. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    You ain't kidding, worm. I was there in January. That was some goddamn wind.
    To paraphrase LowEnd, that place is so big that if you don't bring breadcrumbs you might end up sleeping there. The neighborhood around it is pretty sweet too.

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I have several friends who grew up in Montana. They go back when they can and that's almost always summer. When I ask them why they don't live there still they all say, "It's too freakin cold!"

gocaps- Vancouver BC is just an incredible city.

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    the old man loves to tell the story about the time he was a kid and the 4th of july parade in livingston was cancelled, because of snow! :eek:

8. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    I went to four cities in a week for work in January - Missoula, Billings, Helena, and Great Falls, in that order (that was the most convenient with Big Sky Airlines' flight schedules). My last night in Great Falls, the low was -30. I went to college in Rochester, NY, so I know cold. THAT was cold.

I went to Billings again about 6 weeks ago. The high was over 100.

9. Black&Red#17

Black&Red#17 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Way too far away!
    Re: Whoo Hoo!

Thanks for the offer of help! I leave tomorrow for my interview and I'm really looking forward to the trip, especially the drive along the Oregon Coast. We're also going to try to make it to Columbia River Gorge and Multnomah (?) Falls. I'll let you know once I find out if I got the job or not.
    Do you know anything about the Winston area? Or Wildlife Safari (that is where I have my interview)? Also, do you go to any Timbers matches Ursula? I know nothing could ever top a DCU match at RFK but it'd still be nice to have some kind of soccer to watch every once in a while? Do you get the DCU matches on TV at all? Thanks, Evelyn

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

i went to wildlife safari years ago as a kid. very impressive, at least then. you'll be near roseburg i believe which is a great town. the rouge river is fantastic to raft and fish, etc. multnomah falls is pretty impressive and the gorge is beautiful. i don't know the southern beaches as well as the northern ones but they are very nice--stop at the cheese factory at bandon.

11. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, I've finally gotten here.

R&B, I gather you're still in DC.

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

alas i am Barbara. though my whole family is still in oregeon. hope you are settling in well. are you in portland proper? i really love that city, there can't be too many places as much fun to live.

guess you're gonna have to join the Timber Army :D

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right now I'm in Vancouver, but we're going to move once I find a job. I'm rooting for Portland proper but almost anywhere except Vancouver would be good. Except for that sweet no-income-tax thing.

It's looking that way. :D

14. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    oregon has no sales tax. that's always handy. compared to DC portland housing market is cheap.

15. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, but it's a lot pricier than it was a year ago.

Vancouver has the best of both tax worlds. All I have to do is drive across the bridge and I can shop in Oregon. However, except for a couple of square miles downtown, it's hideously ugly.

16. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump.

So have any DCU fans moved to town in the last couple of years?

17. Jerda_76

Jerda_76 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
  18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a guy in the Pearl District today wearing a DC United jersey. Was it one of you?

That's only my second DCU gear sighting since moving to Portland in early 2006. The first was a hispanic guy wearing a jersey walking across the Burnside Bridge.

19. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    I promise you'll see more as soon as the VW kits come out. I'm personally trying to find one. Look for me on W. Burnside by way of W. Springfield VA.;)