Portland, Oregon DC Fans. Are there any besides Ursula?

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by Barbara, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm most likely moving to Portland in the fall and I'm just wondering how many DC fans on here live there.

2. Black&Red#17

Black&Red#17 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Way too far away!
    I have a job interview in Oregon next week, 3 hours south of Portland, and was wondering the same thing in case it works out. If we all end up there, we'll have to band together to fight DCU withdrawal, watch matches on TV, and to take roadtrips when DC is visiting San Jose.

3. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed. Where is your interview? Eugene?

4. Black&Red#17

Black&Red#17 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Way too far away!
    A town called Winston, its south of Eugene if you go down I-5.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    eugene is only an hour and half or maybe two hours from portland.

there is at least one other dcu fan in portland who posts on here but i can't remember who it is.

oregon is great place to live (i grew up there) and portland is a really fun town to live in. southern oregon (pretty much anyplace south of eugene) is, like eastern oregon, much more conservative than portland or seattle.

hope rain doesn't bum ya out.

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    there was also a nice guy who posts on here called Finnegan who kindly invited me to hang with the timber army when i was last visiting my folks. unfortunately a family dinner made me miss them. you might want to contact him as well. he may know some locals who follow united.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'll see you in San Jose ... if they don't fold that team. :eek:

8. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    You might mean dignan23. I think Barbara knows him...

Portland's the coolest city in America. If I weren't so tied here, I'd seriously consider moving there.

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    that could well be, i only remember seeing the poster's location

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard nothing but good things about the climate in Portland. And I like rain.

Ursula lives in Portland, but I don't know of anyone else.

11. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, Dig does live in Portland but I haven't quite converted him over to DCU fandom yet. He claims to be MLS neutral. We'll see about that.

I do plan to start following the Timbers. I understand that PGE Park is a sweet little stadium.

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    for all the rain it does have a very mild climate--never too hot or too cold. there are a bunch of amazing neighborhoods in portland and the prices (outside a few "exclusive" neighborhoods) are really low compared to the DC area.

its of course also extremely nice to be a little more than an hour away from beach or skiing. i've been to 48 of the 50 states and still think oregon is the most beautiful. of course i am biased.

13. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    As a native, I'm in the tank for DC, but Oregon combines physical beauty with quality, livable urban environments as well as anyplace I've been in America. (Vancouver, BC is another story)

For straight scenery, Montana is pretty damn stunning. Then again, my state count is at 39 so I'll defer to R&B.

14. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    montana would be my #2 tied with alaska. my old man is from there and we still own some acerage there and have a family ranch (we have one in central oregon too). it is gorgeous in montana but i think the oregon coast gives it a slight edge.

15. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Good point about coastline. Where's the ranch? I've been all over that state in the last 8 months...

16. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    outside of livingston, in park county not so far from the airport at belgrade (bozeman)

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    I haven't been to Belgrade yet (although I was there when I was a teenager) - that will probably happen next year. I am, however, getting to go up to Kalispell (FCA) in the next two months. Glacier, here I come.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you'll like glacier. i have a uncle and aunt up in great falls which isn't too far from the park. and of course livingston is the "gateway to yellowstone"

19. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Great Falls has one of my favorite bars in the world.

20. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    damn i'll have to visit that spot. i need to make a trip to montana before all my relatives forget who i am.

21. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    It's hilarious. I bought the self-made CD of the blue-haired lady who has been playing the Wurlitzer there since 1963.

22. Black&Red#17

Black&Red#17 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Way too far away!
    Sweet! Here's hoping they don't fold. I really want to be within a day's drive or a quick flight of an MLS team, even though I would probably start going to Timbers matches too. My friend in San Francisco is starting to follow DCU and I know if I could just get her out to a DC/San Jose game, she'd be converted for good.
    I really hope I get this job. Oregon seems to have everything I want: the great scenery, gorgeous coastline, less expensive. I know that the Black and Red are what I'd miss the most after my friends and family. Can't have it all I guess. :eek: Its good to know that there will be other DCU fans out that way :D

23. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Why did "Rancho Deluxe" by Jimmy Buffet come to mind when I read this?
    :confused:

:p

24. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After living in Great falls for over a year...well...((no comment))...but I took a long drive up to hit the Mountians..but it was still deep in snow in March...so.headed back to Cut bank...and the local Back Feet pointed my SS to hit the Can-O-dian border....hit a town called Lethbridge in Alberta....and was a fvkin blast....

Great Falls wind will make you go nuts!!!

It is the Windiest City In America!

:)

~worm~

25. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland has great beer/brew pubs (and of course like Seattle, tons of coffee places). I was out there for a work conference back in the early 90s and did a tour of the Weinhard Brewery. Of course hit Powells books, that place is a trip!

K