Portland funding gap more like $26 million (not an April Fools thread)

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by yellowbismark, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Why do you keep beating this horse? Who cares what Fish and Fritz think?

My understanding is that PPS would actually like to leave that building, but as Marquis notes there probably is not time to make that part of the process.

The ridiculous thing is that here, and in the newspaper site comments, and on local architecture forums, everybody says "why don't they do this" thinking they've come up with some brilliant plan on their own. The city has been studying this for months. Paulson (and probably the Blazers) are going to spend millions of dollars on expansion fees and construction. Randy Leonard is the king of Portland. Do you really think they haven't considered using the Blanchard PPS site already?

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    They don't really have to gain and lose teams, though, do they? You can just promote teams temporarily.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes me wonder why they aren't using it. The school district wants out of that site. And a lot of people don't want Memorial Coliseum to be torn down. It just makes sense. The only thing in the way is timing. So why the rush? MLS can bend the expansion timeline if need be. Why not try that option? Or maybe Paulson needs to finalize plans ASAP to get a few bond buyers on board or else he loses them.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promote whom? The Beavers are a Padres affiliate. If they suspended operations, the Padres would have to find a new affiliate somewhere else. If they went to a current AA franchise, then that would just shift the problem to the AA level, as there would have to be a replacement city found somewhere to take that place in AA. They could theoretically go to Tucson, which just lost its PCL team to Reno, but they would probably lose loads of cash because Tucson fans aren't going to embrace a team that is interloping for one year.

If it came to a point of suspending operations, it would probably have to be an indefinite suspension until the time comes when they could uproot a team from a struggling AAA market.

5. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I'm doubtful that it's bond buyers. I think it's trying to secure the guaranteed maximum bid for construction that Paulson's been offered. Think considerable cost savings.

Even then, I sense that'll be available in 6 months... but I'm not as privy to economic shifts as Paulson likely is.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    You don't have to kick the can that far down the road to come to a place where the number of affiliates is not set in stone. And affiliations change, that's just in the nature of minor-league baseball.

I find it hard to believe that in recent baseball history they haven't had this type of problem (no place for a minor-league team to play for a couple years) several times before, that they don't have means of addressing it, and that this problem would be allowed to hold up another project.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to go all the way down to Short-Season A before you get something different from exactly 30 teams per level.

It happens, but it's usually kind of messy. Portland has the Beavers now because Albuquerque had a decaying stadium, so the team moved when they renovated Civic Stadium into PGE Park. Albuquerque was out of MiLB for a while until it was able to get a new stadium built and snagged the team from Calgary.

So they could shut down/move the Beavers, but probably would not do so knowing exactly which existing franchise they would poach to get PCL baseball back in Portland. But with a new stadium they would be able to get back in sooner or later.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Triple A as musical chairs has accelerated over the last ten years. Right now, Richmond is the one without a chair. During my heyday of season ticket holding with the Bulls, the Braves minors were amazingly stable, for a run of at least ten years there were no changes (Richmond AAA, Greenville AA, Durham A-Advanced, Macon Low-A, Danville Rookie). Today, Greenville is the only team still in place with the Braves. Even the Yankees (Clippers) left Columbus.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How is the Richmond Braves stadium going?:rolleyes:

10. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/04122009/business/paul_son_may_rise_in_west_164077.htm

If the Paulsons are already in for 10% of their fortune, plus the MLS expansion fee, plus any private commitments they have made to the city of Portland ... it makes more sense now why they aren't willing to pay more themselves.

Current obstacles:
    - $15 million funding shortfall
    - $12 million still to be determined through the state legislature
    - $36 million in risky bonds needs to be sold in a tough market
    - political resistance to fast-tracking Rose Quarter designs and threatening to demolish Memorial Coliseum
    - mayor likely to face a recall vote

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=123956118581541000

Saltzman is the swing vote. He was originally tabbed as being opposed back in March, but he voted "yes" to allow the process to proceed after axing the $15 million from a proposed URD around PGE Park. If the numbers aren't panning out, it is likely that he will go back to "no".

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Nope; the G-ville Braves move to Pearl, MS three years ago. The Greenville, SC team is a class A club that move from Columbia, SC, and is affiliated with somebody else.

:)

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mets

Ok, anyways, back to Portland discussion?

14. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And FWIW on top of all that, it was just announced that Oregon has 12% official unemployment. So I imagine the Portland and Oregon governments are receiving far less tax revenue than they had projected for this fiscal year.

http://www.qualityinfo.org/pubs/pressrel/0409.pdf

[​IMG]

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's extraordinarily depressing to see as a graph.

I just hope the rest of the damn country sees what Oregon, Michigan and South Carolina are dealing with.

16. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Portland forum?

:D

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When has this ever happened?

When has this ever happened?

30 MLB teams. Each one needs/wants one AAA affiliate, and one AA affiliate and a number of A affiliates.

You could move the Beavers somewhere else in the region, temporarily, I guess (are there any other reasonable-sized cities in Oregon or southern Washington where it would make sense?) and then back into Portland.

But if you suspended the Portland Beavers' AAA club for a period of time, the Padres' AAA players have to go somewhere. It would not be desirable for them to scatter them among other teams (and there aren't any non-affiliated teams in MiLB that I'm aware of - maybe there are, but not at a high level).

So they could take a AA city and make it AAA, I guess, assuming the PCL would take that city and it made sense. But whatever league you poach it from has to have a replacement. And so on.

Not all MiLB teams are owned by their MLB parent club (aren't the Braves one of the few who own their lower-level clubs? Maybe the only?) but there are PDCs - Player Development Contracts - that specify who's going to pay for what and what affiliation you're going to have for a certain period of time. With, like any other contract, I guess, penalties for breaking it.

But if the Beavers have no place to play, it's not as simple as just saying "Okay, no Portland Beavers for a while."

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/memorial_coliseum_advocates_we.html

Personally, I hope they figure out a way to keep Memorial Coliseum. It just seems like a huge shame to knock it down to build a tiny baseball stadium, when they could spend that money to refurbish it or repurpose it. *sigh* Just one more year; I hope it makes it onto the historical register.

Sorry, Timbers fans. I don't mean to come off as against the stadium deals in general. I just think that this is a totally unnecessary thing to be doing. Aren't there any fans in the TA who are smart enough to come up with some compromise proposals? Think about that "civic pride" thing. Memorial Coliseum is part of Portland and Northwest history. There is nothing stopping PGE Park, the new baseball stadium, and Memorial Coliseum from co-existing other than short-sightedness.

19. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the city saying yes to the deal Paulson proposed in the first place requires that the Beavers continue playing in Portland. I've read it and there are no real specifics about how that looks, but I'm sure it doesn't mean playing in another city for a year. If absolutely neccessary, the Beavers could play in Volcanoes Stadium in Kaiser, home of a single A club with a capacity of 4252. The Stadium is 45 minutes from downtown Portland (City Hall specifically) according to google maps, but you can get there in 35-40 minutes. So it could work, but it won't happen.

20. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, why the hell keep MC? I can see NO reason. It is terrible, poorly planned aside from location, looks like shit AND isn't important historically. Yankee Stadium was torn down for christ sake. The Kingdome was torn down, Comiskey Stadium, Tiger Stadium, etc etc etc have been rendered useless even though the teams occupying them COULD have stayed, but they were old and their existence didn't add anything to the city. MC is an ugly nothing building with a tad bit of history in that something in the 1970's happened there. Oh, damn, Well shit, I wanna go see where the Griffey's hit their back to back father son homers... Can't. I wanna see where the Yankees dominated baseball for decades. Shit I can't, and you know what... it doesn't matter.

1 person likes this.
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like history and nostalgia as much as the next guy (maybe more), but let's be honest here...there's a reason they built the Rose Garden. History tells us that you don't keep the old building standing that long after the new building goes up (The Spectrum - coming down soon - and Reunion Arena - which is also coming down soon, I believe, are long-term exceptions). You just don't.

You think Memorial Coliseum means more to Portlanders than the Boston Garden meant to Bostonites? Maybe to some. Maybe as much. Certainly not more. Where did more things happen that are worth remembering? Boston Garden or Memorial Coliseum? And yet they tore Boston Garden down two years after the new place opened. Now it's a parking lot.

That sucks, I guess. I'm sure there are people that are wistful for those days, as most of us are for what we perceive to have been a simpler time.

But they tore down Tampa Stadium, which is a place I spent the better part of my youth. They tore down Al Lopez Field, which was right next to it. Same deal. That's unfortunate.

But the price of progress is that some things have to go. The little house you lived in when you and your wife were first married holds great memories, but you don't usually stay there forever because you usually outgrow it. It no longer serves your needs.

If you're going to say "We could have all of these things, PGE Park, new baseball stadium and Memorial Coliseum and not tear Memorial down," then, sure, I guess you probably could. But does it make sense? Take nostalgia out of the equation for a second. Does it make sense? Usually it doesn't.

It's unfortunate when business overrides emotion. I'm glad the Coliseum in Rome is still standing and we need to preserve churches and historic places and stuff like that, when we can. But that's kind of different. As much as we romanticize our sports venues, they're still ephemeral. Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are exceptions.

Is Memorial Coliseum still functional? Still being used regularly? Does it make sense, or is it a drain? Can you sell it to a church like the Forum in Inglewood or something? If it can be repurposed, fine. If not, it's a building. If they tore down the Boston Garden, they can tear down Memorial Coliseum.

Such is the price of progress. Unfortunate sometimes, but true.

Well, not yet, but it will be.

At the end of the day, yeah, it doesn't matter. Or it doesn't matter enough because there are other uses for that space. You could say that about any of the historic buildings in America, I guess, but then we're not building another Old North Church right next to the original, are we?

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm with Kenn and the Marquis here. Stadia come and go. It's the nature of the beast.

There are very few exceptions right now - Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, arguably the LA Colliseum. But they all have WAY, WAY more history to them than any stadium in Portland.

If Yankee Stadium and Boston Garden can be torn down with all the history they have, then any stadium can be razed.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, and let's take Wrigley and Fenway as practical examples rather than emotional ones - what are the alternatives?

I don't know about Boston, but there's precious little space where you could put a modern ballpark in that area of Chicago. Except maybe....where it's sitting right now. Which is only a slight improvement (unless you bought some surrounding real estate, which isn't going to be cheap, so you could expand things). And where do they play in the interim? Schaumburg? Groundshare with the White Sox? (Mets and Yankees did it for two years.)

And one of (I believe) Andy MacPhail's things was "Folks, we need to figure out if this is a ballpark or a museum." I can tell you from years of having gone there that as a museum it's great. If you go to 1-2 games a year or in your lifetime, it's a great experience...I don't want to say pilgrimage, because that's making too much out of it, but it's great.

But go 15 times a year. Do that for several years. You see that infrastructurally, that place is a mess. Blah blah blah charm blah blah blah old school blah blah blah tradition blah blah blah ivy all that stuff. I get that. But can we have ivy on the walls and not have to whiz in a trough? Would that be a lot to ask? There's a reason everybody builds new stadiums now, and while part of the equation is revenue generation, part of it is also that fans demand creature comforts now (and they're willing to pay for them, which goes back to the revenue generation thing). You can't have a bunch of teams playing in Camden Yards-type places while you keep playing in Three Rivers Stadium. (Chicago and Boston are exceptions to this...and likely will continue to be so as long as they pack the house every day...but there's a finite limit to how long you can patch them up. I do not believe Wrigley and Fenway will exist in their current forms in 2040.)

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a sports forum, the posters will think all that matters is sports. I think Memorial Coliseum means more than just the Blazers used to play there. It is not an ugly building, IMHO, and it can be refurbished or repurposed. The structure does not need to be knocked down. It can be used for so many things, and as the recently posted article shows, it is already used for a lot of things.

Nostalgia plays a part. But I am thinking more about the landscape of the city and being more efficient with available money and land. The Kingdome was knocked down, yes, but they ended up getting more out of that plot of land by building a beautiful new stadium and a convention center. How does knocking down Memorial Coliseum (think of it as a structure, not as a redundant basketball arena) and replacing it with a tiny baseball stadium get more out of that plot of land? It doesn't pencil out. Plus, the baseball stadium will not add anything to the look or identity of Portland. They can't even have the outfield face the river, so you aren't going to get nice views. You can argue about the general idea of tearing down old sports stadiums, but it doesn't make sense to me in this specific instance. Especially when they have a much better plot of land right across the street where they can site the stadium for possible MLB expansion.

If Memorial Coliseum wasn't a pawn in the MLS Timbers bid, would anyone seriously consider tearing it down? You have to think with a broader scope than just "give me my MLS team ASAP, the rest of the city can go f itself". Portland is in no danger of losing their bid. So there is no reason to rush this Rose Quarter development. Portland is supposed to do things right. They've instituted no-growth boundaries, built a great transportation system, and are the forerunners of green building initiatives.

25. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this whole discussion is bordering on the ridiculous IMHO. there's a huge difference between Memorial Coliseum and those other places, and that is: Memorial Coliseum ISN'T USED FOR ANYTHING. as far as 95% of PDX's sports fans go, it's a relic that sits there 365 days a year. all of this sudden 'nostalgia' for this place is amazing, because the majority of sports fans in Portland don't go there anymore, and frankly they probably don't even know what type of events it books (what few events it does).

this situation is not analogous to a Wrigley Field or Fenway -- those are still in use. for all practical purposes, MC is not in use. i can't think of many other situations off hand that are 100% analogous.