Popularity of Football in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by amrizzle, Feb 23, 2012.

1. daplaps

daplaps New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hi All,

I am a newcomer to the group. Actually just joined jjust a few minutes ago. Originally Nigerian, raised half in America and half in Nigeria. Born in the U.K.

Anyway, to come to the point.........

I want to play competitive football in Japan where I am living now. I am tired of playing too easy games where the concept of 1-2's dont make sense. Perhaps every country has its techniques.

Does anyone know where in Tokyo or Yokohama I could join a team and play regularly but with better than average players please?

Thanks

2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    At least this one isn't claiming to be talking about pro-contracts and whatnot............i think.

3. daplaps

daplaps New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Oh nooooooooo.. I am not in good fitness shape for pro. I just want to play like Saturday, Sunday leagues with competitive folks, don't care if they are pro, semi-pro, etc. just as long as I get to play with more accurate and sensible players who are better than average.

Any suggestions please for Yokohama or Tokyo. I haven't tried a figure eight move in a while :)

Thanks

4. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If you look in the classifieds for Metropolis Magazine there are often recreational teams with recruitment ads.

5. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is more popular the soccer or the baseball in Japan ?

6. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    National team: football > baseball
    Club level: football < baseball
    School level: football on dynamical rise, baseball with signifant decrease in recent years

That's how recent numbers indicate.

Radu Razvan, Samurai Warrior and artml repped this.
  7. whatsoever

whatsoever New Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I thought Japanese like baseball most, but i think they fancy soccer as much as baseball. The fans of soccer in Japan are as passionate as those in other countries and not lukewarm.

8. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think you've generally hit the nail on the head, but I have a hard time believing HS football is starting to rival Koushien. In media terms, I still see incessant references to baseball in tv shows... especially in a HS context... even moreso wrt Koushien. Only reference that seems to crop up more often is the fanatical Hanshin stereotype.
    Very rarely see such references for football unless it's in terms of the World Cup / NT.
    It seems to me Koushien is firmly embedded in the country's psyche as the pinnacle of HS activities.