Pope should have done some research

Discussion in 'International News' started by sahbekham_pactwinner, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    There were many people during the lifetime of the Prophet who became Muslim but later apostacised and were killed. Some Muslims take this to mean that ALL apostates should be put to death. However, ALL of the examples of this i have come across (and I am NOT a scholar so others will know better) not only apostacised, but actively plotted against Islam, actively joined and supported those he was at War with, or declared War upon Muhammad verbally or actually.

An example of a person who apostacised and was spared is that of Abdullah bin Sa'ad, who was pardoned after leaving Islam and being sentenced to death. If the punishment for apostacy is a Hudud (fixed) punishment, my view is that Muhammad would not have been able to pardon him. Also during the Riddah Wars (as i have mentioned before) many tribes apostacised and even actively fought against the Islamic state, but there weren't any mass executions.

The problem for me is that both of the above views within Islam are coherent, and can both be backed up by Hadith and Quranic text, but again you need to look at the text IN ITS HISTORICAL AND SOCIAL CONTEXT to gauge the meaning. I have come to the conclusion (and i reiterate that it is a personal one) that the death penalty only applies if the act of apostacy is accompanied by any act actively attacking Islam. Unless it is accompanied by such an act it is still a serious sin, but it is a matter between God and the individual and God will judge.

Here's an interesting link on the subject:

http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_251_300/is_killing_an_apostate_in_the_is.htm

I appreciate that my knowledge is limited so if you can direct me to any conventional Hadith sources i would be grateful.

2. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    So according to the article
    One who changes his religion from Islam is not given punishment in this world.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Interesting contrast. One side says the other is exempt from military service & pays a compensatory tax. The other claims to be prohibited from bearing arms (thus disqualified from the military) & forced to pay a discriminatory tax.
    Was there an annual ceremony surrounding the payment of this tax as well? I've seen references to an event where non-Muslims were struck by a Moslem.

4. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is a problem for all religions IMO. Right wing Christians are the same - believing in the word of the bible, forgetting the fact that it was written between 100 and 300 years after Jesus died, by people that were not infallable, then copied throughout the centuries by people who had their own agendas. The historical context is the worst problem, and IMO is also a problem with things such as the US Bill of Rights. (The right to bear arms was because the US was still a new nation with enemies within, but is now used so that (almost) anyone can own weapons that can destroy a whole community).

A note on the crusades - they not only murderred Muslims and Jews, but also other Christians, who happened to live in the areas they past through. Just like the suicide bombers kill other Muslims, and there were Muslims killed in 9/11. What does this prove, that none of the massacres were really done for religion, despite what the brainwashed front line "soldier" may believe (the pope wanted the gold in Jerusalem, and the commanders that went there wanted the money from the pilgrims), but rather for the increased power to those behind them. ALL religions preach a message of peace and tolerance at heart.

5. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    The bible was written a couple thousand years BEFORE Jesus was born...

6. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    And one, at the current time, has millions practicing their religion bent on eradicating everyone else.

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Millions bent on eradicating everyone else? Highly exaggerrated IMO

8. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    So what's your number? 1/2 million?

9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Zero Muslims. Not even Osama wants to kill everyone else. If you have any proof of any Muslims wanting to kill everyone else then please post it

10. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    Okay, how many muslim extremists do you believe exist?

11. saqr

saqr New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Edinburgh-Scotland
    Fixed your post

12. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    FYP

13. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    link

14. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    touche...Ok, how many do you believe there are?

15. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Sorry for my limited knowledge in english but does touche mean that i've got you exaggerating the point?

16. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    no, only that I can't provide statistical evidence of the number. I don't concede that its exaggerated.

Now again, what number do you believe is accurate.

17. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How about just Indonesia, is that good enough for you. Now multiply it times a thousand and you'll get an idea...

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061015/3/442c3.html

One in 10 Indonesia Muslims back violent jihad-poll

Do the math 10% of 220 million = only, miserly 22 effing million people - not much at all...:cool:

18. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    Just as an aside guys, I am thinking about going to holloween as the Prophet Mohammed. Does anyone have a pic of the guy so i can get an idea of how to dress up?

Oh and I also think that I am the new prophet that allah has sent. The big MAN told me that just like the Jews and Christians before, that the Muslims have corrupted his ideas and ideals. He also says that he is sorry for being out of touch for such a long time and that from now on he will be sending a new prophet every 5 years and that they will be rotated around the various nations of the world. However, the Middle East will not be allowed to have a prophet for awhile because the BIG DUDE himself realizes that he made a mistake when he assigned all of his previous prophets to this region.

He also wishes everyone a good day and would like everyone here to know that he is usually open to suggestions during his office hours 3-4 on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cheers

19. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Seriously we need to get down and do the Math.

Okay so 220,000,000 x 85 % = 187,000,000 People. Now u can do the math.

20. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Well if you don't have statistical evidence, then how do you know its not exaggerated?

21. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    It just so happens, that i've met your God in the forums over here. Can you Believe that? I was so excited on meeting him and u know what the best deal is. Unlike the prophets that came before you, you get to instant message him. Your like the technologically advanced prophet. You know what i mean;) .

Anyhoos here is What God had to say in the "Bigsoccer guidelines forums".

22. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Well, this will make a huge difference

187,000,000 x 10% = 18,700,000 - now that's even more a ridiculous number, chump change if you ask me, nothing to worry about at all.

23. saqr

saqr New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Edinburgh-Scotland
    What a great argument??!!

well at least I don't live in my gun's safe. and YOU call us terrorists. just watch out where YOU point your gun, YOU might end up shooting yourself in the foot. :)

ENOUGH SAID.

24. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Set off any bombs lately in a London Subway? And we dare call you terrorists. :rolleyes:

25. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I'm sorry, you must be then one of those freedom fighters or an insurgent at least...