Pope says Iraq War threatens humanity

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by John Kevin W. Desk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    So, any fake Catholic hardcore bigots out there, how do you like these apples? Instead of Roman candles, are you gonna call them freedom candles? Instead of bishops, will you play chess with freedoms?

Of course, if any fake Catholic hardcore bigots out there are going to just IGNORE THE POPE, maybe they can ignore other pronouncements. Like, oh, restrictions against suicide. Who's Pope Benedict Arnold to tell you not to take a bath with a toaster, anyway?

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pope is an ass. He's demonstrated as such over and over again.

Whoops! missed that this was about dead pope. Oh well.

3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait until John Paul's reign of terror comes to an end.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Can I assume now that the Catholic bishops will come out with a paper telling us all we are going to hell if we vote for a candidate who supported an unjust war? :rolleyes:

5. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
  6. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Pope Benedict, elevating 23 prelates from around the world to the elite rank of cardinal, made a pressing appeal on Saturday for an end to the war in Iraq"

Liberal interpretation: The US should unconditionally surrender in Iraq.

Gotta love the blame-America-first crowd.

7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The pope hates our freedoms.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Ummmm, where do you see any references (other than your own) to unconditional surrender? I find that funny on a couple of levels. First, the sarcastic posts on here are mocking the way that neocons would dismiss anyone who disagreed with them. This thread also mocks those cafeteria Catholics who cling to the Pope like mouth-foaming pack animals when he talks about abortion, but then create convenient distance when the Pope talks about things -- like war -- that rub them the wrong way. And, you don't want to be rubbed the wrong way by any priest, especially the priestiest priest.

Second, the terminology you chose always makes me chuckle. Who in the hell would we surrender to? Similarly, who will surrender to us once we achieve our great destiny?

If it makes you feel any better, I did see Cardinal George speak in advance of the war. It was a two hour scholarly presentation on the Catholic Just War Theory and his conclusion that invading Iraq would not meet the criteria of a just war. So, I guess Cardinal George is just a moonbat.

9. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No explicit references, but that was clearly the implication.

FWIW the Church opposed the Iraq campaign from day one but it wasn't a "vital issue" to them--not the exact term, but it's something like that, basically meaning that the Church has a position but they allow for disagreement (as opposed to, say, abortion).

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Implied by who?

That's called politics--the Vatican does it, too.

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Theres old Europe, and then theres OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD Europe.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well no sh!t. We weren't bombing Italy. Popes know how to play to the constituency.

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Someone's trying to feed ITN.

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly.

Besides, I think his papacy is a bigger threat to humanity but maybe that's just me.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex, I've still got hopes for you. Really, I do. Some say I'm a dreamer. But just imagine....

I'd like for you to either respond to this point, or do what I know you have within you, namely, to admit that your "surrender" point was weak and should never have been made.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  17. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Al-Qaeda, the organization behind the insurgency in Iraq.

No, they'll never actually surrender and we'll never actually sign a formal surrender treaty, but if you can't see that the Iraq policy favored by, among others, Paul and Kucinich amounts to nothing more than surrender, then I don't know what to say.

18. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Then say nothing. You've been wrong in every G******** aspect of this f****** disater, you'd think shame would compel your silence.

How big, then, is AQI? The most persuasive estimate I've heard comes from Malcolm Nance, the author of The Terrorists of Iraq and a twenty-year intelligence veteran and Arabic speaker who has worked with military and intelligence units tracking al-Qaeda inside Iraq. He believes AQI includes about 850 full-time fighters, comprising 2 percent to 5 percent of the Sunni insurgency. "Al-Qaeda in Iraq," according to Nance, "is a microscopic terrorist organization."

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2007/0710.tilghman.html

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This Catholic thought the Iraqi Freedom thingy was a mistake from day one. Try again.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're apparently unaware that AQI is a tiny part of the problem in Iraq.

21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No he's not - it just makes for better spin.

Next up, AQ = AQI = Saddam Hussein and al were responsible for September 11th.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The original comment isn't directed at Catholics. It's directed specifically at "fake Catholic hardcore bigots." There's one particular poster who fits that description, and he hasn't posted on this thread yet.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You still have those posts bookmarked where his duplicity was exposed? I think I do somewhere......;)

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unfortunately, the computer on which that thread was bookmarked is no more. However, it won't take too long to find them.

Given that he recently claimed to be a graduate of Bob Jones University, though, there are more recent posts giving evidence of his ... shall we say... questionable ecclesiology.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    newsflash -- AQ wasn't in Iraq before we let them in. They don't want to "run" a country -- at least not Iraq. They are there because we are there and their strategy is to use a relatively low cost operation that causes us to spend trillions. It worked helping to put the soviets out of business and is a proven strategy. Mission on its way to being accomplished.

AQI will simply vanish back into their holes and appear somewhere else when one of two things happen. We leave Iraq. They decide they can be more effective somewhere else. We have been played by a loose organization that is a fraction the size of our army and costs less than a fraction to support. They call the shots because they have a huge advantage over us -- they have no designs on occupying the place where they are fighting. They aren't fighting for territory in Iraq, they are simply fighting us because it is good for them and bad for us.

I'm not saying that Iraq's problems will vanish if we pull back and AQI disappears. There is still that little civil war thingy looming. But please, quit with the AQI bullshit. You are simply supporting THEIR policy by engaging them there.

We don't fight them there so that we don't have to fight them here. We fight them there because that is where they have chosen to appear and fight us. Separate cells work independently of anything going on over there and if there is a cell that is close to attacking here, they will regardless of what is happening in Iraq.