Poor defense--- Poor offense

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by lesliemoss, Jan 31, 2011.

1. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    There hasn't been any discussion of how poor the team has been in both areas.
    Our goals record is: F 24 -A 43; only 2 teams have scored less: Wigan 20,and Birmingham 21;
    and no team has let in more: WBA have conceded the same 43.
    So it isn't just the lack of striking success; the defence has been lousy ,too.
    We've signed a couple of strikers and a midfielder, but don't seem to have shored up the defense. We can't win without goals, but we will continue to lose if we let in so many . Something has to be done.

2. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Yea i kinda pointed that out....but was told we didnt need defenders....:confused:

3. Bangingfeet

Bangingfeet Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Kinda by me. I think the problems with the defence start further up the pitch

4. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Have to agree. A lot of the goals happen in the second half when our strikers and midfielders fail to control and keep any possession of the ball in the opponents half. The defenders are under constant pressure and any team that gets that sort of pressure would inevitably let in goals. Better players moving forward would help our players in the back.

5. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    By the way, I forgot about Wayne Bridge; he does add something to the back four, and if Jacobsen can stay fit, they are 2 good backs.

6. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A good example was the last goal Birmingham scored in the cup. We lost the ball in their half and as they came forward on the counter attack we had a flat back four holding the line and no midfielders whatsoever. The lad had all the time he wanted to shoot but we blame Green for fumbling it rather than the midfielders who left our defence exposed.

I think Jacobsen, Upson/Da Costa, Tomkins, Bridge is a defence that can cope at this level. With the midfield supporting them better there should be no excuse for letting in soft goals.