Pompey vs Blackburn, Sept. 20, [R]

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by worldsoccer-Jeff, Sep 19, 2003.

1. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Pompey at home to Rovers...

What say you?

2. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

MetroAndAGuinessPlz New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    Blackburn are the joint top scorers in the league and in my opinion they've underachieved this year so far. They'll be out for blood. They also haven't lost a game at Fratton Park in top division play in 45 years. However this all means nothing because after our performance last week anything is possible. I don't want to sound cocky but I truly believe a UEFA cup spot is not out of the question for us. It's certainly not a lock but does anyone really believe it's totally out of the question? Of course having to juggle the UEFA cup and league games in only our second year in the Prem. might not be a good thing. My prediction - Pompey 1-1 Blackburn...goals from Sheri and Andy Cole, respectively.

3. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    Blackburn 2 Pompey 0...not looking too good...

4. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    1-2 Full Time

After resent form, Im a little disapointed. But over all, Blackburn are a very good team and we should not be suprised by this result.

Lets get a big score over Northhampton at midweek to boost confinence.

5. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    I'm dissapointed too, though not surprised. We had to lose eventually. Like I said - Blackburn are joint top scorers and have a tremendous record at Fratton. This doesn't change my UEFA cup musings btw lol.

6. blueangel1

blueangel1 New Member

May 23, 2003
    Portsmouth, UK
    Pompey V Blackburn

The score line was not good but we lost to a good team and I think we can still hold our heads high! How we never got at least a point I'll never know!!

During the first half Rovers gave us a lesson in Premership football, they were first class. They knew exactly what they were doing and stopped Teddy & Yak up front whilst closing down our midfield well.
    Sherwood made his comeback but was clearly not match fit, we missed Berger and Quashie although giving 100% was not comfortable playing out of place. The first Rovers goal was soft . The second although I hate to admit it was pure class .

Harry changed tactics second half going with 3 up front and pulling off Sherwood and putting on Roberts who caused all sorts of trouble. Every time we attacked one of the rovers players fell down in the area and we ended up having an extra 5 minutes injury time at the end! The ref was'nt one of the worst we have had, but once again we should have had a penaly that was'nt awarded!

I particulary liked the Schemmel / Stone pairing they work brilliantlly together!