Poll: would rumors of a new stadium affect your decision to renew season tickets?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Sep 16, 2013.

?

Would rumors, chatter, updates about a new stadium make you more likely to renew season tix?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    83.8%
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The Revs are frequently accused of leaking rumors about a new stadium (or having others leak it for them) during renewal season to boost sales.

2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Personally, no. A new stadium, even if they made documented progress now, is probably still 5-6 years away, and I'm also in the minority where Foxboro is actually more convenient to me than an urban core stadium would be.

This is also going to be controversial, but given how parochial Boston is regarding its definition of "true sports," I'm even somewhat skeptical a stadium would move the needle into relevancy (or at least the good kind - can you imagine Dan Shaughnessy or Dennis/Callahan wailing about public funds being used to fund "soccah?")

RevsFanDan and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because for me having season tickets is dependent on my own personal financial state. If/when I can, I have had/will have season tickets, no matter where they play.

4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors, chatter? No. Updates? Only if it's a major decision.

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure I've been told this forum isn't representative of the larger population...

RevsFanDan, RevsLiverpool and patfan1 repped this.
  6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the first time

NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the specifics. If it were a rumor it would have little to no effect on my decision. If it were a legitimate update, for example Revs/Kraft's coming out and saying something like "we are in final negotiations to build a stadium at (site) and here is what we will build (renderings, specifics etc.)", maybe I would consider buying.

8. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 SamSam, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Would rumors, chatter, updates about a new stadium make you more likely to renew season tix? no, but actually getting a new stadium, would affect me for the season that they are projecting the new stadium get built.

I think the revs in general are too bullish on all their news all the time and it seems to peak around season ticket time. The spin machine is almost too much to bear.

MM66 repped this.
  9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but it factors in how much I spend. I told my rep that as long as the Revo are in Gillette, I'm spending the bare minimum. If we get a SSS I'm prepared to spend thousands.

10. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't yet. I'll renew when shovels are in the ground.

Revs-West repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shovel in the ground before I think about renewing again. Been hearing stadium rumors since ********ing 2006.

RevsFanDan and MLSinHD repped this.
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an insult to the intelligence of decision makers in this market that it's a sales tactic they turn to annually. I wish my customers were that naive!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me 6x ..I'm just a friggin moron*.

(*No offense to anyone reading this. This is just one skeptical fool's opinion of course.)

RevsFanDan repped this.
  13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    There's nothing they could say or do to make me renew (former 7-year STH) until the shovels hit the ground.

Period.

14. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Rumors and chatter are inherently not "news". A positive update that convinced me we weren't still dicking around with this might do it for me.

I'm not holding my breath.

15. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The kinds of things that the Revs are accused of using the last couple of years during renewal season.
    They actually say very, very little about it any time. IF it's a sales tactic, it's a pretty minuscule one.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been reports posted here by STHs that were "threatened" by their ticket rep that if they gave up their season tickets, they would lose their place in line for seats at the new stadium. So unless you are calling those posters liars, I don't think there is any "IF" about it.

RevsFanDan and Crooked repped this.
  18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was called by my rep and wasn't threatened at all. He was very polite. He even listened patiently to my yearly rant and didn't even ask me to upgrade.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't see how that's a threat - it's a statement of fact. Any team would do the same thing.

It should be a pretty hollow pitch anyway. It's not like there's any long line now and there isn't likely to be one anytime soon. 6K fans should be able to find plenty of good seats in a 20-25K stadium plan.

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Place in line" is a very dumb way to sell it. As Rkupp said there will be no issues getting season tickets for anyone who wants them.

A better tactic would be to tell people that they can lock in the same price as an existing season ticket holder instead of having to purchase a higher base price in new stadium if they are not a current STH.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was a "good" tactic, merely that there was evidence that they do indeed use it. It was confirmed in another thread (copied below):

22. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As long as they were dirty hot sexy rumors, I would become a STH again.

23. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No season ticket but I might go to more if:

1) was in or around Boston
    2) we actually fielded a team worth watching

RevsFanDan repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This team is worth watching. I don't know what you're looking at.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 RevsLiverpool, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    You're clearly more patient than myself and others on this board.

There's a lot of reasons why the 2013 Revs are tough to watch so I can see his point.

I think for me it's the mediocrity that makes this year's team tough to watch. Win some and look like the best team in the league, then lose games like last weekend in Chicago. No consistency - it's frustrating and often not worth watching. Not to mention the Heaps-like whining our players have begun to do this season, which is an unwelcome development. The lack of discipline leading to excessive red cards from Imbongo. The inability to score or defend on set pieces. The brain farts in the back leading to ball watching and goals. Shuttleworth can't stop distance shots to save his life. Lots of reasons.

On the other hand, relative to 2010-11, these revs are Barcelona-esque (hey we discovered how to pass!).

RevsFanDan repped this.