Poll: When will we hit a developmental level where our excess talent starts to take over MLS?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by gogorath, Jul 25, 2022.

?

When do we get our Nico Lodeiros, our Sebastian Driussis?

1. We've already got them, they've just all gone to Europe or are too young: Ledezma, Mendez, etc

7.7%
  2. It's a stylistic difference. We're not building playmakers at that talent level.

19.2%
  3. We're still a few years out

53.8%
  4. We'll never get there, or by the time we do, MLS salaries will be high enough that it won't happen

19.2%
  1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    One of the developmental signposts I am more looking forward to is if and when the US starts to develop players who can really be a DP-level difference maker in MLS in such numbers that it can drive the league. To be clear, I know we have players that can do that -- Reyna and Pulisic and so on.

But more, I'm intrigued when we get to a time where, like Argentina, we are so bubbling over that the guys who can't quite cut it at the top level of Europe either stay home or come out and are key players. And in particularly, offensive playmakers.

Nico Lodeiro. Diego Valeri. Sebastian Driussi. Lucas Zelarayan. He's not Argentinian, but Sebastian Giovinco. Even Carles Gil kind of falls in here.

We're seeing more and more Americans take that role this year -- Ferreira, for example. But it is limited, and much of the production -- like for a Morris or an Arriola -- is less filthy dominance than pragmatic production.

We've had guys like this -- maybe someone like Sasha Klejstan was close. We've had better. But I'm looking for when we have the volume that a ton of teams are rolling out attacks with quality US players rather than EVERY team having an Argentinian playmaker.

Are we closer than I think but everyone is still in Europe? Is it never going to happen? Do we just not play that way?

2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    We are obviously improving in-terms of domestic output in MLS, but MLS is also increasing their level of play at a dramatic clip. I don't want to say that we will never get their, but the lure of Europe coupled with improving money in MLS will make it hard to get there.

3. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Wouldn't improving money and quality of league lessen the allure of Europe for some players though? I expect we will see more and more Jesus Ferreiras to start, then we will see. Plus this is excess talent, so if MLS improves along with the pay then every league not the EPL, or top 4 teams in others won't be as desirable in any meaningful way.

gogorath repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Never happened in England or France, you can't even say it happened in Italy. And they have many more kids playing soccer than we ever will. It's just that Zlatans, Villas, and Chicharitos of the world will come here at 22-23 rather than 30-35.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We're a lot closer but still a few years out.

Here's our current status:

As usual Americans dominate the back line and GK spots. That has been a tradition since the first year of MLS.

What has changed drastically is the number and quality of Americans scoring. Multiple 9s and wingers have emerged and gone to Europe but many have stayed are challengers for the golden boot. Making Ferreira a DP at 21 will likely have an effect on the salaries of Vazquez and Ebobisse.

We are still lacking in the midfield but it's not so far from the top with Nagbe being one of the most influential players in the league. As you've stated we have multiple players trying out their luck in Europe and we also have Pomykal. The U20s have shown that for the next round of midfielders this might be a strength.

gomichigan24 and gogorath repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Right.

I mean, I've made this comment before, but I kind of expect Richie Ledezma to come back and be a real star at some point not too soon.

Perhaps even Mendez. If you aren't starting at a top team or in the EPL, MLS money is pretty good.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Right, but there's a real gap between some of our guys, and the quality shown by a Gil, Giovinco, Lodeiro, Driussi.

Some of it is stylistic, because Morris and Ferreira now have had production. But year in, year out, MVP level stuff is what I am looking for.

I just want to see like 10 of them. Or at least like 3 or 4.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We have those players, but not that many attackers. That’s because the system we have discourages finesse and a disproportionate amount of finesse players don’t make it.

gogorath repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. We'll get there....................................

I will say its a weird thing to ask "when will we have our version of Diego Valeri?" That guy failed to make an impact in Portugal and Spain." Had to find a plan B.

People on these boards have such an inferiority complex about the American player. Are people watching Alan Velasco at FCD and thinking he's so superior to the players we're producing? I'm not. FCD paid a fortune for him because there was demand for his services in Europe. Ferreira, Arriola, and Pomykal are all better than Alan Velasco. Sorry for the reality check folks. Does that burst everybody's bubble?

Am I the only one watching Mihailovic racking up better stats last season than most of these Argentines people are slobbering over? Am I the only one watching Brandon Vasquez and Jeremy Ebobisse score a heck of a lot more goals than most of the foreign born #9s in the league?

So what's the issue here?

Was I the only one who watched Brenden Aaronson go over to Europe and look right at home in the knockout phase of the Champions League? I guess I was.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
  11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    upload_2022-7-25_18-54-32.jpeg

Signed - The Average US Soccer Fan

12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Now watch the goalposts as they start moving,

upload_2022-7-25_18-55-58.jpeg

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Ooh, a different point of view. I love it.

I'm curious -- who do you think of our players could be Nico Lodeiro but our path had pushed it away?

Keep in mind that Nico isn't a plodder, and he always did his work rate. But man, that dude's skills and vision is beyond 99% of US players.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Then please vote for "they are already here."

By the way, I've said nothing about Alan Velasco. If you think Alan Velasco is as good as say Carles Gil or Sebastian Driussi, you are smoking something terrible.

15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    We seem to be discouraging keepers sadly.

I hope the U20’s, or our young kids don’t read this thread.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    One, try to get everything in one post.

Two, I'm hardly a poster who is insecure about our place, or a foreign player snob, etc.

I'd just like to see more Americans here who absolutely dazzle offensively. I'm sure it will come, and I'm aware if Pulisic or Reyna were here, they would do it, but I'm more curious about the overflow -- the sheer numbers of talent that might not be world class but absolutely makes for some entertaining soccer.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    No one under 40 even knows big soccer exists.

Magikfute repped this.
  18. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Great, because they would all realize how bad they are! Whew!

It’s stunning to watch how far we have come and how fast.

It really is, but man do we suck, and have no hope for the future!:D

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I never said any of that.

But I want to see our talent pool get to the point where we have enough strong attackers that they are dominating MLS. It's a very simple proposition.

Regardless of how many times you write inferiority complex, there's no doubt Argentina produces a LOT more creative, offensive talents than us right now.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, but every league on planet earth has foreign born star players.
    That's the name of the game.

Just like every other second tier league on planet Earth, the second that we develop those players..............Europe is going to scarf them up.

I think Brenden Aaronson is the equivalent of those players in terms of impact. He was sold.

This is going to be the trend from now on. All of Philly's current U20 stars will be sold in the next year and a half. So we won't have them in the league. We'll have to go down to Argentina and Uruguay to buy the Druissi types. That's the name of the game.

Same thing they do in Holland, Portugal, and Belgium.

There's a reason that those leagues are known for talent production, but keep falling farther and farther behind the big 5. The skilled "difference making" players that you're talking about leave.

News flash from the city. Jesus Ferreira and Paxton Pomykal will likely not be in MLS at this time next year either. Ferreira had Euro options in this past window and just stayed to get on a roll before the World Cup. Good plan so far.

Gues what? Driussi isn't going to be either. Just like Diego Rossi left. Just like Castellanos of NYCFC just left. The majority of those young South Americans are trying to use MLS as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. For some it works and for some it doesn't (Ezeqiel Barco for instance)

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think you (and Ray) are taking this entirely the wrong way.

It's not any kind of indictment of our talent development. But more a fun checkpoint on our developmental timeline. Countries like Argentina develop a ton of great talent -- most of these guys never see the national team but are pretty damn fun to watch and are stars in MLS.

We have Reyna and Aaronson in Europe, but they have, you now, guys like Messi.

It was more intended as a fun exercise -- when do we see soooo much talent that the overflow hits MLS. Europe doesn't snap up all the Argentinian playmakers, so when do we see Americans get to the same point?

I think yours is that we are already there. I'm not sure yet.

22. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I had high hopes for Gilbert Fuentes, but those have been fading for a while now.... AC, too, of course. Are those casualties of the "stylistic difference" that you mentioned? Probably not.

Anyway, I think we are few years away. An exciting point for MLS will be when guys like Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna, etc. come back to play in the US at the end of their careers. The youth products should be at an even higher level then, which would hopefully lead to more Brendan Aaronson's running attacks as a teenager, too. Add in a couple of Lletget type of career paths, and I think we are looking at being a few years away.

gogorath repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll be there in about 5-10 years once the younger generations that are good start fail a little bit in Europe. A guy like Josef Martinez was good enough to play in Europe, tried, seemed to hate it, and now loves dominating here. We don't have guys that were good enough to try and old enough to fail yet.

That isn't necessarily exciting for me, though. While it's a cool thought in theory, realistically by the time comes, people will just complain about that era's Wondos/Zardes's. It'll always be the young kids breaking through that provide the excitement. But it will be nice to more and more American legends for people to relate to.

Like Don, though, I'm personally most excited for the day when our current young crop is old enough to all come back and play, especially if they make a point of coming back and playing for their hometown teams. How cool would it be to see this team in 10 years in MLS Cup Final against a Pulisic/Aaronson/Aaronson-led Philly team:

----------Ferreira-(31)-----Pepi-(29)---Pomykal-(32)----------
    Gomez-(28)--Tessmann-(30)---McKennie-(33)---Cannon-(34)
    ----------Richards-(32)---Che-(28)---Reynolds-(31)----------
    -----------------------Carrera-(28)--------------------------

With 37 year old Kellyn Acosta as the coach, of course, and whatever DFW 18 year old superstar winger they have coming off the bench.

I think we underrate how much talent is going to come back one day. The above isn't going to happen, but I don't see why a bunch won't come back at some point. Seems like the entire last generation did eventually. Won't Adams want to play for RBNY and Gio for NYCFC? Color me excited.

It's gonna be really cool for guys like us, and really positive for the league. When you get a bunch of guys coming back and giving all that knowledge they have on the field every day to the kids coming up in the academy, that's when the machine of youth development in this country will be unstoppable, especially at those clubs that are ahead now.

Bajoro, gogorath and don Lamb repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t have a full list, but I see the discourse.

You are already showing the biases I suggest. Do you think in Argentina or Uruguay it’s starts with a players work rate or size or speed before discussing their attacking skills? No, it’s about attacking skills first. The other stuff is secondary, as it should be.

I’m not saying that other stuff is insignificant. It’s not, but there’s a reason why this country loves importing South Americans for attacking positions in its main domestic league and also has very few players plying their trade anywhere known for finesse areas like passing, ball control, soccer IQ, creativity. When Aaronson and Pulisic take set pieces for the National Team and can’t consistently clear the first man, the issue is right in front of us.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It seems to me we are developing more skilled players these days. I do get your point, but I do think at some point these types of players are coming.

Do you think that is changing at all? It seems there's more skill -- when, if ever, do we get there?

(And it's worth noting that they are guys (Lodeiro) who didn't really make an impact at the top levels because they were lacking something -- which just may be that physicality. I mean, Aaronson and Pulisic are better in total, or at least the world thinks so. )