Poll: The winner of World Cup 2014?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Cuppo, Mar 7, 2013.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2014.
  1. Brazil

15.7%
  2. Italy

3.9%
  3. Germany

27.5%
  4. Argentina

11.8%
  5. Uruguay

2.0%
  6. Spain

19.6%
  7. England

5.9%
  8. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Portugal

3.9%
  10. Netherlands

2.0%
  11. Other

7.8%
  1. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    So I wanted to have a poll. Here we have it
    Who do you think will win after all?
    The poll will end furing the World Cup 2014

2. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Can we please move this thread to BigSoccer Polls?

3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Way too early for this poll, wait till all 32 teams are already qualified and list 'em all. As it stands atleast 2 of the teams on the list might not even qualify...

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    funny to have Portugal and Uruguay on this list... they look doubtful to even be there, let alone win it.

5. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    This my order of merit of the likely top 16 teams in the tournament:

1. Spain (probably not as good as they were 4 years ago, but still the best)
    2. Germany (strong team)
    3. Argentina (good team the best player in the World)
    4. Brazil (by far the weakest Brazil team I can remember, but still good enough that they could make home advantage count)
    5. Holland (good team)
    6. France (good squad, need to get it together though)
    7. Italy (strong team, lacking the odd superstar)
    8. England (amongst the best in some areas less so in others, my concern as a fan is that they give too much away)
    9. Portugal (Depend hugely on C. Ronaldo, but can still mix it with the best)
    10. Uruguay (good team, but not sure they've quite cut a path to the heart of the elite just yet)
    11. Ivory Coast (good, but too inconsistent)
    12. Belgium (a really good first XI, slightly shakey though)
    13. Russia (solid team)
    14. Mexico (good enough to do damage to the elite teams, not good enough to be a serious threat to win it)
    15. Sweden (tough team for anyone to play)
    16. Colombia (looking strong in qualification)

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why so? How many wc had Uruguay in it the last 4 decades? Their squad is also massively overrated.

7. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Uruguay won Copa America, though
    I wouldn't put Argentina and Brazil far above them, maybe on the same level ;)

8. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    What has Germany WON in this century?

9. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Uruguay has come 5th in conmebol for the WC 2002, 2006 and 2010 and Portugal has ended in 2nd in there group since Euro 2008 qualifying. You may want to look up the meaning of doubtful.

Unfortunatly for you, they will both be there.

10. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    They only won on two "third place" final matches
    But they have a very strong squad, maybe even better than Spain now (Who know's?).
    Also, they were close to win anything and increasing their strengh since 2006. But they need a good couch and voilá, they are the perfect dream team! :thumbsup:Trust me

11. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I have to agree somewhat. Germany for me are at the very least a close 2nd favourites to lift the the World Cup right now.

12. winstone55

winstone55 New Member

May 5, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Never count out the host nation. Other than South Africa in 2010 and Spain in 1982 and maybe Mexico both times, they all seem to over perform. The host has at least played in the final in '30, '34, '50, '54, '58, '66, '74, '78, '98, and played in a semi-final in '90, '02, '06. Hard to see Brazil of all countries bucking this trend.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Italy is too low; they're certainly better than a consistently disappointing France and a rebuilding Netherlands team. In fact they've made a case to be ranked higher than Germany considering the last matchup. Other than that and a couple others, solid list. My list looks something like this;
    1. Spain: who else?
    2. Italy: yes, I am aware of the final, but they're still a very dangerous team to play. The group stage matchup was much more indicative of their general play.
    3. Germany: we can still beat anyone on our game, and on pure talent we're 2nd, but I sense another semi final exit. Defence still isn't good enough, mentality is poor, and Löw's useless.
    4. Argentina: they've turned a corner under Sabella, and should be serious contenders. Attack is overwhelmingly talented, but Sabella's focus on organization and defence is very prudent.
    5. Brazil: there's problems everywhere you look for this Brazil. They've been in a permanent state of rebuilding and transition since Dunga, and Scolari has gotten off to a rough start, but they have the talent to turn it around, and home advantage is a magical thing.
    6. Colombia: could be a resounding dark horse, their team is strong, and they've been excellent in qualifying.
    7. France: gave Spain a good couple of matches, what else is there to say?
    8. Netherlands: If Van Gaal can put together the puzzle pieces in time, they can do well. If not, another disappointment is on the horizon.
    9. England: the Three Lions will go into this WC with opportunity for successs or failure. Both look fairly equally likely.
    10. Portugal: I don't understand how a side can do so well against good teams and then fail against mediocrity in qualifying. EURO 2012 Portugal is 5th on this list easy, this Portugal doesn't deserve to be on it.
    11. Uruguay: the South Anerican Portugal. Consistency is key, and if they can turn it on at the right time, they can replicate their 2010 performance.
    12. Russia: Capello has done fairly well, and this side has a bit of grit to it, a willingness to grind out results. They can get the job done, and for a lot of the veterans, this'll likely be their last international hurrah. Very intriguing side to watch indeed.
    13/14/15/16: Mexico, Ghana, Nigeria, Belgium. Interchangeable at this point really.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Even South Africa overperformed. They only missed the KO stage due to goal difference and they aren't even among the 10 best teams in Africa.

15. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013