Poll by E.WYNALDA finds Mexican-Americans are disgusted at Chivas becoming Chivas USA

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Kqql, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EXCELLENT report!

This shows a lot of people here on these forums that Chivas USA is not all "milk and cookies" like we think it is.

All we need to do now is have MLS do an official poll amongst the San Diego/Houston Mexican communities to reaffirm Wynalda's findings.

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milk and cookies!?! Outrageous. They should at least go with bunuelos or churros.

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I letter to Wynalda is not entirely accurate.

First, not everything about Chivas is 100% Mexican. THey have had foreign coaches and executives. Not all sponsors are Mexican.

Chivas in the past couple of decades forgot its mission, to promote and develop Mexican players. That was the concept. IT was not because of some xenophobic policy.

There was a time when Mexicans were not allowed to participate. They had british, german, spanish, italian clubs that did not allow Mexicans to pariticipate. Clubs like Necaxa, Atlante, America, Chivas moved to give Mexicans an opportunity to play. CLub America was a forerunner in the Mexicanization of the league. THe # of foreigners per team. There is an unwritten rule in Mexico City that only allows 4 foreign players on the field as to 5. THat was a request from the Mexican president. That unwritten rule has not become a rule in the statutes that 7 Mexicans have to be on the field when any game is disputed in Mexico City.

Chivas was not the first team to win with an all mexican team. But people always said that they wouldnt be able to win.

Hispanic by Origins 2002

[​IMG]

DMA Designated Market Area - Hispanic TV HH Coverage
    Los Angeles * 16.30%
    New York * 11.31%
    Miami - Ft. Lauderdale * 5.66%
    Houston * 4.10%
    Chicago * 3.95%
    Dallas - Ft. Worth 3.33%
    San Antonio * 3.27%
    San Fco. - Oak. - S. José * 3.26%
    Phoenix * 2.53%
    Harlingen - Wslco - Mca 2.39%
    Albuquerque - Sta. Fe * 2.13%
    San Diego * 1.98%
    El Paso 1.96%
    Fresno - Visalia * 1.94%
    Sacramento - Stkton * 1.87%

Its clear what Vergara is going after.

Vergara is not trying to convert the CHivas fan that is in Mexico, he already has them. The Chivas fan in Mexico doesnt give a shyt about Chivas USA. Chivas USA doesnt pertain to the MFL so what do they have to lose? nothing

Now, according to that poll 66.9% of the Hispanics are of Mexican origin. 14.3% are of Central and South American origin. The rest dont really matter because they are more into baseball and other sports and not so much futbol.

Becuase of the national rivalries that exist amongst hispanics, what do you think those 14.3% will do? I dont expect them to cheer for Chivas USA, but just by attending and booing them... they still make money. Its just like watching Mexican soccer on TV. They watch it, they talk crap about it and say its inferior to central and south american footie, but at the end of the day.. the ratings are still there. thanks for your time and money, byeee.

I amnot saying that they will all tune it, but they will attract people.

And if Club America does take over a team, i can see that 14.3% rooting for them, a good portion of the 66.9%.

I agree though... maybe Chivas isnt the best name to have... they should alter the crest a little and have a different name. But even with the a different name... you will still have those who hate it because of the owner and what league he pertains to

5. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I've spoken to many hard-core Chivas fans, kind of an informal poll, and none were interested in “Chivas USA”. The name itself is a paradox considering everything that Chivas currently stands for, mainly Mexican nationalism.

Chivas was founded by French Students and sponsered by a Belgian buisnessman.

Everything from the players, fans, stadium, and sponsors is 100 percent Mexican…

The Chivas flag sports the colors of the French flag while Chivas uniform was taken from the Belgian Club Brugge.

I think it'd be best for the league to offer Mr. Vergara a standard expansion opportunity but ask him to leave the Chivas name at home, in Mexico, where it belongs.

Chivas is not even the name of the Club. The team started as Club UNION and then became Club Deportivo Guadalajara. Chivas nic was given by their rivals as a put down saying that thy looked like a bunch of goats on the field..

Truth be told Chivas original concept after the foreigners had left the club (French/Spanish) was to only field players from the jALISCO region which would be like L.A Galaxy only getting California born players, but seeing how most MFL clubs were getting South American players Chivas changed their policy to include all Mexican born players. They were going to start recruituing foreigners but stumbled upon five straight league titles at which point they decided to stick only with Mexican players..

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Poll by E.WYNALDA finds Mexican-Americans are disgusted at Chivas becoming Chivas USA

That proves everyone else's point even more. It would be insulting to have that name in MLS.

7. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Re: Poll by E.WYNALDA finds Mexican-Americans are disgusted at Chivas becoming Chivas USA

The name Chivas used to be an insult to the supporters of Club Guadalajara but after the Club started dominating the MFL then CHIVAS became a term of pride. While it is not the official Club name it is still how most people recognize the team. And it wouldnt make sense to name an MLS team after the Mexican city of Guadalajara...

:) :)

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mmmm....donuts....

Well, there we go. Then let's name them Club Deportivo San Diego.

I live in a part of Texas where there is a very strong Mexican-American community in my area, so I'll spend an hour at the donut shop today and ask around. I tried asking how they'd like Chivas USA in Houston when I was ordering dinner at Chapultepec last night, but they just brought me a serving of cabrito guisado.

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    mexican donuts? I hope your neigborhood is not as prepee as Waldo's

BTW....that is what I am talking about, thanks V styles for the education part of History.

have you guys learn more by now? In order to make up an educated Opinion around here....

NEXT NOV THE 9TH.....PLEASE TUNE TO UNIVISION AND TELL ME IF 100K CRAZY FANS ARE NOT fun to watch? clasico in el Azteca with your Chivas Vs aguilas del america........will you like to develop a rivalry like that in southern cal?

In that case who cares how they call the team that will give hell to the galaxy......CHicas USA or CHivas USA will do!

10. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Chivas USA

Originally posted by efernandez9

mexican donuts?

Con Cafe/Cofee se dice "Cogi Donas" :D

that is what I am talking about, thanks V styles for the education part of History.

[​IMG] Thats why im one of the Mods here..

NEXT NOV THE 9TH.....PLEASE TUNE TO UNIVISION AND TELL ME IF 100K CRAZY FANS ARE NOT fun to watch? clasico in el Azteca with your Chivas Vs aguilas del america........will you like to develop a rivalry like that in southern cal?

Indeed, future Chivas USA fans should tune in and cheer for Guadalajara which will be representing in the MLS..

11. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    umm yeah were screwed. this is like the beggining of end letting mickey mouse stuff like this happen. this is america not mexico. on a side note as rowdy and sometimes classless as some hardcore chivas fans can be they arent stupid. they wont watch chivas because it is the americanized version of them. its also alienating any fmf fans who just hate the chivas they wont go just to make sure they fail. no one else in sd will who isnt a chivas mex fan like some white guy from poway or something isnt going to want to go watch it with his wife and kids because of the stereotype of fmf fans especially the chivas and Club America fans. its gonna fail hardcore but just my opinion.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Poll by E.WYNALDA finds Mexican-Americans are disgusted at Chivas becoming Chivas USA

Wrong! The Colorado Rapids' uniform was taken from Club Brugge (and Inter Milan). Chivas, IIRC, look more like Paraguay than any other team that comes to mind.

Tom

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    junior de barranquilla
    athletico de Madrid
    paraguay national team
    estudiantes de la Plata (the original red stripes)

can you post a pick of the belgian team?

rapids....c'mon...the used to mix that green line for the rockies....

Inter de Milan? what are you talking about.
    [​IMG]

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Chivas USA

Well America might buy a MLS club so they can cheer for them also.

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Club Brugge

[​IMG]

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Re: Re: Poll by E.WYNALDA finds Mexican-Americans are disgusted at Chivas becoming Chivas USA

[​IMG]

if the last post is the belgian guy......what that hell was variuos styles saying about chivas taking a hint from Brugge to draw their kits

stripes.....but color are quite far from the goats.

17. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    ONE MORE TIME

CHIVAS UNIFORM DESIGN (BRUGGE)
    CHIVAS TEAM COLORS (FRANCE)

:) :)

18. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    BRUGGE UNIFORM DESIGN (NEWCASTLE)

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    CHIVAS USA UNIFROM DESIGN (CHIVAS)

Originally posted by chaski
    BRUGGE UNIFORM DESIGN (NEWCASTLE)

JUVENTUS UNIFORM DESIGN (NEWCASTLE) :)

20. el payaso

el payaso New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    san francisco
    Re: Poll by E.WYNALDA is dookie

well i don't care who you talked to Wynalda, but down in San Diego, all of the mexican teenagers who support Chivas in City Heights, and there are probably thousands in the greater area of san diego, want there to be a Chivas USA. some probably want to go to games, some probably want to play for them. Anyways, don't go out and ask 20 mexicans what they think and say your "poll" said they hate it.

SO you found 20, and i found over one hundred that said different.

21. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000

I think you also have to account for a generational difference. Mexicans who have supported Chivas for 30-40 years in their country and here are going to feel much more betrayed by any change or "stealing" of their "culture" than Mexican-American kids who are more acceptance of change simply because this is their chance to root for Chivas in the flesh close to home.

You can always find this everywhere its just human nature, older people hate change, youger people don't care so much because they view it as their chance to do something. And its also their first time at things so to them there really is no change.

22. YankeeWomble

YankeeWomble New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Columbus/OH/USA
    Sorry, but Newcastle "borrowed" that design from Notts County(the oldest club in the world by the way) as did Juventus et al.

23. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

I think you have only part of the picture. I think there is also a sense of pride that the Americans want to adopt something so Mexican in tradition into its culture. Thats like saying the most popular MExican restuarant in Gudaljara will be hated now because they opened a second branch in New York city. This is more of a postive feel cinergy potential then the negative you want to harp on.

AS a son of Immigrant parents we found a great sense of pride that when the former president Clinton specifically asked that Girgich Hills wine from Napa Valley would be stocked in the White House since he consdered it his favorite. Now these grapes are orignally from aan Area of Dalamtia in, Croatia! We didnt feel betrayed that the grape was brought here and grown in California, we felt a sense of pride that something that was ours was so respected by teh wealthy maases here in the US.

Just my take

24. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY

One of the most honest profound statements made about life. Period.
    Very well said.

25. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Actually the name San Diego was given by the Germans who founded it in 1902. The name means "Whale's Vagina".