poll: Best matches so far (knockout rounds)?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kolabear, Jun 30, 2015.

?

What were your favorite matches in the Round of 16 and quarterfinals (non US games) ? Choose up to 3

1. Rd/16: Germany 4-1 Sweden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rd/16: China 1-0 Cameroon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rd/16 Australia 1-0 Brazil

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Rd/16 France 3-0 South Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rd/16 Canada 1-0 Switzerland

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Rd/16 England 2-1 Norway

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Rd/16 Japan 2-1 Netherlands

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. 1/4 final: Germany 1-1 (5-4 PK) France

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  9. 1/4 final: Japan 1-0 Australia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/4 final : England 2-1 Canada

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the US matches, what do you think were the best matches in the Round of 16 and quarterfinals? What were your favorites? Which do you think were especially worth watching? Choose as many as three.

2. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany Sweden should have been the most compelling of the Octofinal matches... but Pia's kids ran out of gas early. Germany dominated. Most of the other Octofinal games were not compelling at all; excepting England -Norway and Australia - Brazil. England coming from a goal down was a good game - I was surprised that the Norwegians also ran out of gas/ or that England was able to bring it up a couple of levels. But I give the edge to the Aussie game because 1) leading up to the game, Australia had done well in the group of Death, and Brazil had not conceded a goal in a pretty weak group (that should have been Sweden's but I digresss) 2) it was an active close game through 70 minutes and 3) the result was exciting from my rooting POV

Germany France needs no explanation. England Canada -- the crown vx. the Dominion... exciting game, goalie switch, big home crowd

Neither USA game would have been picked by me

kolabear repped this.
  3. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I sort of liked watching the Netherlands play against Japan (also their match against Canada). They play exciting soccer even if it's not at a high level at this point.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early polling results:

The two favorites are Germany/France quarterfinal (no surprise) with votes from 82% of the voters and England/Canada quarterfinal with 73%. The only other match to receive multiple votes so far is Australia/Brazil round of 16 with 36%

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Time for a new poll.

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. Notice I made it for non-US games. Otherwise you know how the numbers will always favor the US ones. Although I like that someone up above (SaintNdaCity) mentioned that he wouldn't have picked the two earlier US games.