Political violence in Sweden - Anna Lindh stabbed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The Olof Palme case was totally different. Much points to his assassination being an insider job by the police.

2. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I wish they wouldn't compara Pim and Anna. Pim was a very controversial politician. Always. Anna wasn't. Maybe it would be a better if the polls has said that the ballot would end up 90% to 5% against the Euro. But it was never going to be like that. Excluding the 1 death threat, there is no way to compare.

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There wouldn't have been a comparison since there hasn't been time for Anna's death to set in. The Dutch elections were a ways off when Pim was killed. Pim was set to make an impact even before his death, being murdered only accelerated that.

In the case of Anna, things may change when the facts come out down the road.

4. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    I wouldnt call it racism- i would call it fear of islam. The problems linked to immigration were to long ignored by the danish establishment- they were ,like sweden is now, living in self denial. The result was a strong right wing party ( not only as a result of immigration but also largely because of the danish distrust to the EU). Sweden will soon enough experience that closing your eyes doesnt solve the problems

I think it was a year ago when some swedish politicians were caught on camera voicing their true opinion on immigration
    swedish politicians seems to agree with the danish when they think they are speaking off camera. I dont know if you saw the program or not, but my conclusion was that sweden has just as many "racists" as denmark but because of The way the Swedish press is run (almost entirely social democrat) people are not allowed to voice their opinion without being labelled Racist. The swedish press even labelled the left wing danish feminist Drude Dahlerup as a racist. this is a democratic problem in my opinion.

Anyway with the swedish no to the euro it seems Denmark and Sweden will have to move even closer together in the future- maybe Britain will join us too!

5. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    i am as much muslim as 100% blond scandinavian dane

i went to denmark with two south american friends and we encountered racism although we are not by any means muslims

but maybe they mistook us for being from the middle east even though i don't think that any uf us look particulary mideastern

6. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Im not saying we dont have racists- idiocy is unfortunately an international problem. but it is not only a "danish" problem here: if you hear what some arabs ( including some of their religious figures) say about danes you would label that racism too. you could also hear rather "racist" remarks if you are german or a swede. All depends on which area in denmark you visit. Or you should hear what we say to each other: Jylland vs Sjælland has its own "war" on words that would make what some say about immigrants bleach
    Our mentality is us against the world- a heritage from our defeat to the german army in 1864. We have felt under siege ever since

We are a tribal culture so it doesnt matter if you are black or white- you are foreign. This of course does not describe all danes but low income groups and others who have minimum contact with the world outside of denmark

in my study group i have a girl with korean background and she told me that she and her sister has never encountered racism here- maybe she is lucky and you and your friends were unlucky?

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
  8. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    According to SVT, there has been an arrest of the suspected Lindh killer. He was arrested tonight in a restaurant outside of Stockholm.

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=1804&a=119159 This is in Swedish, and very brief, but roughly translated, it says, "The 35-year old man, suspected of the murder of foreign minister Anna Lindh, arrested tonight in a restaurant in Råsunda, Solna, outside of Stockholm. "

Apparently the guy has quite the record too, with convictions dating back to 1987. He apparently also associates with right-wing extremeist groups. He has, at this point, not been formally identified, but according to Agence France-Press (AFP), which provides news on Sweden, in English at www.sweden.se several media outlets have the identity of the suspect, but have not released it.

9. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Tonight was Djurgården/Hammarby. I wonder which one he was there for?

10. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    It's actually kind of stupid, if you think about it. He's arrested, watching the match, in a restaurant near the stadium (the East End Company, for anyone in Sweden), it's a derby match, so there is a larger police presence than there normally would be, and his picture has been everywhere. So, going out to watch the match probably wasn't the best idea, in retrospect. Or, the guy genuinely wasn't involved, which makes little sense, because the video pictures have been out since the weekend. Why not go to the police and get it out in the open, if that's the case?

11. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    According to several newspapers, he's a Djurgården fan. He was watching the game in the restaurant together with other fans. Police picked him up when he left the restaurant for a breather in half-time.

12. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I think it's pretty fair to say this guy's not with it.

Too bad he was a Djurgårdens fan. The first Allsvenskan match I went to they beat Hammarby 2-0.

13. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    one paper interviewed the leader of the djurgården fans and asked him on whether the fact that he was "djurgårdare" would reflect badly on the club...

pretty stupid question if you ask me. however he seems to be a pretty loyal fan since the head of the supporter club recognized him

i agree that it wasn't the smartest thing to do when the whole police force is after you. but the police have another 5 persons they want to check further with so he seems not to be the only suspect

since they got technical evdence it shouldn't be hard to prove it if this really is the guy though

14. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    So are the Djurgårdare politically inclined like the Bajen fans? I know those guys are supposed to be communists.

15. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, Djurgården is supposed to attract rich kids from wealthy areas like Östermalm and Lidingö (and the guy in question did move in such circles), but right wing extremists are usually connected to AIK. The archetypical Bajen fan is more bohemian left-wing than outright communist. But in the real world things are of course much less simple.

16. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    So this guy was just a crazy rich boy?

17. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    From AFP at www.sweden.se

The suspect has been identified in international media as Per Olof Svensson, but that name has not been released by Swedish media. He claims innocence, and DNA samples have been taken to try and match against samples found near the scene of the attack. Under Swedish law, police have until noon, local time, tomorrow to either charge, or release Svensson.
    So, hopefully, we'll know more tomorrow.

18. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    When Aftonbladet publishes an article on their website in English, you know it must be news:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,365611,00.html

The suspect that Swedish police arrested and held for a week (Still identified in Swedish media as "the 35 year old man") was released today, and a new suspect was arrested in the killing of Lindh, with Expressen (www.expressen.se) quoting a police source as saying that the new suspect "is our man", so they must be confident.

19. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Crazy stuff!

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I feel bad for the first guy (and probably the second guy). They lock him up for a week, grill the hell out of him, and then just say "bye."

Keep looking for that 30 something white guy with the Nike shirt....

21. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    the papers are writing that according to sources fom the police the dna sample from this new guy matches that of the killer.

so it looks like they got the right guy finally even though you can't be sure with the swedish police

22. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    danish television said the guy was mentally disturbed and had seeked help a couple of days before the murder because he was hearing voices. if he is mentally disturbed then this wasnt really an assault on democracy

23. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Being mentally disturbed doesn't mean you don't hold political opinions.