Political violence in Sweden - Anna Lindh stabbed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much so...

2. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    certainly not because of the euro- I voted no too.

Lets just say that Danish and swedish politicians have different opinions about what free debate means in a democracy.

But still a sad day

3. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    5 days before a referendum the leading spokesperson for one of the sides get murdered and it is not politically motivated?

sorry to say but the swedish police must be the most incompetent in the world. it was ridiculous how they they let the assasinator of palme escape and how they mismanaged just about everything

i have a feeling that the same thing is about to happen now. the killer is still on the loose almost 24 hours after the assassin. a person stabs the swedish foreign minister to death in a crowded warehouse and escapes unnoticed... really great

4. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    i suppose you refer to the debate on immigration from non-european countries

i can say that to some extent i agree with you political parties such as sverigedemokraterna as nasty as they might be should be invited to debate more often

but on the other hand a politician should be free to chose with whom they want to debate. noone has forbid sverigedemokraterna to express their views they say that have been shut down by the swedish press and are discriminated against by the other parties but face the truth they got a little more than 1% of the votes in the last elections and that is their biggest success to this date it is a very marginal party not nearly as big as dansk folkeparti and therefore it is quite logical that they are not invited to the major debates since small meaningless political parties usually aren't

i have been to denmark several times and there are many things that i like more in denmark than in sweden but there is one thing that i hate to tell you but it is true and that is that there is much more racism in denmark than in sweden therefore i am thankful that i live in sweden

5. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Not to deflect blame from the actual assassin, but the fact that the assassin has not been caught yet probably has more to do with the fact that Lindh went around, as most Swedish politicians do, without any security at all. If Lindh was an American politician, certainly this wouldn't have happened, or if it had there would have been arrests, due to the security that would have been around. In this case, in a store that was undoubtedly chaotic, without any security force to observe, it's easy to see how he could have gotten away.

6. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    if the killer would have been a shoplifter he would have been caught by the warehouse's own security guards. i have seen it several times they are very quick to act and there were security guards there who witnessed the event

to stab a person to death though is maybe not considered as serious.

7. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I shopped in the same department store while in Stokholm this past June. The basement, which is where I believe she was attacked, has entrances that come out on different sides of the street and in that part of town there are many places to "get lost" in the crowd.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Perhaps the murderer was far more skilled than a typical shoplifter?

9. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    she was not attacked in the basement she was attacked on the 2nd floor and the killer had few ways of escaping and was stained with blood and easy to recognize. he had to take the stairways down to the first floor in order to escape through an entrance out on the street. one person screamed "stop him" as he walked away.

10. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Yet no one did? Where was the store security as he "walked" away? Were there store camaras?

11. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Here is graphic to the event

[​IMG]

12. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    as you can see he had to take the stairways down to the groundfloor to escape through an entrance

i am also wondering what the store security was doing. some of them witnesed the event and did nothing

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Maybe they thought their paycheck wasn't worth being stabbed for by a dangerous maniac...

14. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    the police have still no traces of the killer

and about the store security the belian guy is probably right but the thing is that he dropped the knife after having stabbed here and left heading for the stairs they could at least have followed him...

also if you work as an security guard you should have some guts

15. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Looking at some of the articles in Swedish papers, the blame is falling squarely on Säpo, the protection service for the government. A lot still has to come out, but in one article, the cheif of Säpo comes out and says that Lindh didn't have any special security measures because "there was no threat to her person." He also says that the decision not to assign her bodyguards was a "failure" (You can read the article, in English, here: http://www.sweden.se/templates/AFPN...sf/js.latest/BA8F491A1AAB155BC1256D9E0055982B)

Ultimately, a lot of things have to be looked at, and one of them is the decision by many politicians not to have bodyguards. Either Säpo has severely underestimated potential threats, or perhaps the open society may have to be modified a bit.

16. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    That place is only a block or two from T-Centralen, right? Even with blood on him, there are so many people in that square that he could have probably gone unnoticed all the way on to a train.

But I remember seeing a lot of cops around that area too.

17. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    it is very likely that he escaped through the subway. the thing is that the police could have shut down the subway and looked for him there but they didn't.

they said that they think he took another route...

and now they are without any trace whatsoever. the only thing they got is the knife at least that's something let's hope it is enough to capture the guy

18. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Is that a subway entrance where it says "trappor"? What a strange thing to have. That monument there too. When the guy was running outside of the stor surely, there were people on the street. They didn't do anything. No description either.

19. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

If you look to the right of box 4 you will see a road called Sveavägen. Just above the "S" in the word is the spot where Prime Minister Olaf Palme was killed in 1986.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henke Larrson did it.

21. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    They have found the knife that was used in the attack, and Swedish media outlets have distributed a photo taken from the security cameras at NK of a man wanted for questioning. (As there is no concrete evidence yet that the man in the video is the actual assassin, there was some editing done when pictures were released to the media. Aftonbladet blurred the man's face AND the logo on his sweatshirt, lest the fact that they guy had on a Nike shirt be slanderous. Expressen did the same thing, while SVT just blurred his eyes.) Apparently the Swedish police force is none too pleased about this, and some are already saying that this case could rank right up there with the Olaf Palme murder both in national shock, and blunders that could leave the case unsolved for years.
    It was also revealed that a couple of weeks ago Anna Lindh recieved a threatening e-mail from someone described by the Foreign Ministry as an "angry voter from Lindh's own (Social Democratic) party". The email apparently said that Lindh was not a Social Democrat, but rather a "power hungry bitch sitting in the lap of big business", among other pleasantries. Lindh never saw the email, it was filtered out by her staff before it got to her, but apparently, neither did the Sapo security agency, as the ministry itself decided that the letter was not a threat.
    Meanwhile, with the Euro vote set for Sunday, the "Pim Fortuyn" effect makes the vote too close to call at this point. 2 opinion polls were released on Saturday. Dagens Nyheter had the no side winning 46-40, while a poll released by Expressen and TV4 had the yes side on top 43-42. Prior to Lindh's death, the no side was winning comfortably, regisering over 50% in some polls. Similar to what happened in the Neatherlands after Pim Fortuyn was killed, it could be that Lindh's death tips the scales in favor of adopting the Euro.

22. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    this is the suspected killer caught on videotape by the store's security camara. first they said that nothing had been taped but looks like it had.

[​IMG]

appearantly the police are 99% sure that this is the killer. they have not identified him yet but his photos are all over the newspapers in sweden so it shouldn't take long

23. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Apparently not, although these aren't the
    final/official results yet:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3108292.stm

"An exit poll suggests that Sweden has narrowly voted to reject the euro, in a referendum days after the killing of Foreign Minister Anna Lindh.
    The Swedish television poll of 7,000 people gives the No side 51.8% to the Yes side's 46.2%"

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Especially if he keeps wearing the Nike sweatership and baseball cap.

25. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Election results from SVT:
    5864 out of 5976 districts reporting
    YES- 41.7%
    NO- 56.2%
    Blank- 2.1%

5.6 million out of a little over 7 million eligible voters cast ballots.

There really was no sympathy vote here, it was a rout for the No-side almost as soon as they started counting votes. The only place where the yes side scored a clear victory was in Stockholm, where the vote was 54-43 in favor (The yes vote is also marginally ahead in Skåne, 49-48.8). The no-side has a margin of over 800,000 votes, so I think this one is over.