Political violence in Sweden - Anna Lindh stabbed

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Sep 10, 2003.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Anna Lindh, the Foreign Minister, was stabbed today. She's expected to survive, though her injuries are pretty serious. She's one of my least favorite political leaders in Europe, but this is still pretty upsetting. Of course, only 18 years ago PM Olaf Palme was murdered.

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
  3. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    i did see this story and it's real scary how she was stabbed in a shopping mall right in front of everyone. Just a very odd story.

4. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
  5. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    It was Olof Mellberg!

6. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    According to Aftonbladet in Sweden, Lindh was in surgery for 9 hours, and she is still in critical condition at this point. Lindh had been the foreign minister since 1998, and was considered by some to be the next in line to take over from Prime Minister Goran Persson, as leader of the ruling Social Democratic party.
    Politically, the only thing going on in Sweden right now is a referendum on the Euro, scheduled for September 14. Lindh was a supporter of the Euro, but most polls have the No vote winning at this point. Most campaign activities have been suspended, but no decision has been made on postponing the referendum.

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Jesus, Ben. How closely do you follow Swedish politics to have ranked their 3rd in line to the PM? In the words of evil Captain Kirk from episode 32, "Get a life." ;)

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugghhh, someone from Norwich.

9. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    yeah, we're evil, aren't we?

10. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Göran Persson, the swedish Prime minister says it was an attack on democracy- but he doesnt no who did it yet. Either this is some mentally disturbed guy who did it or it is some neo nazi- they coursed a lot of trouble in sweden a few years ago.

Allthough I have no sympathy what so ever for guttless swedish politicians this is very disturbing for our open scandinavian democracies

Heja Sverige!

11. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

Someday I'm going to make sure i visit Scandinavia, namely Sweden and Denmark.

And gutless in what respect? Because they won't adopt the Euro, or is it something else? Do tell.

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    BBC has confirmed that Anna Lindh has died of her injuries.

13. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That can´t be it because Lindh was in favor for the euro.
    Sweden has scheduled the referendum due to the death of Lindh.
    So many sick people in this world.

14. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Good God. I just caught that on msnbc. What kinda sick *@#*@#*@#*@#ers do we share this planet with?

15. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    She was one of the most popular politicians in Sweden. She, no doubt, had higher ratings recently for her strong stance against the US and W in the lead-up to the war in Iraq. She was also, like most Swedish politicians, very approachable. They don't have much security detail with them.(Only the prime minister has bodyguards, two in plainclothes. But it's been announced that more will be guarding the politicians and the king now as well as more protection for government buildings.) It's a shame.

"Jag ser dådet som ett angrepp
    mot vårt öppna samhälle"

16. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    A sad day.

There are many cowardly politicians around the world, but she sure was NOT one of them.

17. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
  18. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    That's terrible news.
    A sad day, indeed...

19. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The cabinet is meeting if the Euro referendum is going to be scheduled. Sorry that I posted the schedule as a fact.

20. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    pretty schocking to say the least

many saw in her the first female prime minister of sweden

she was the leading spokesperson for the pro-euro side and the referendum is still going to be held september the 14th although all campaigning from both sides has stopped.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Ironically, this may push the vote over to a 'YES' vote.

Kind of like the way the LPF was so succesfull in the elections in Holland after Pim Fortuyn was shot.

Not that I want to compare Anna Lindh to Pim Fortuyn in any way...

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Very sad.

According to CNN, "Authorities said they did not think the stabbing was politically motivated. " Why are they saying this? An eyewitness saw a man chase her up an escalator from the basement of a department store. Nothing was stolen. It's obvious that she was specifically targeted. I suppose there's a miniscule chance it was a personal issue, but that seems highly unlikely.

23. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    It's true that she was almost certainly specifically targeted, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was politically motivated (although I wouldn't rule it out, either). Politicians are also celebrities, so it could have just been some random psycho, as in the Reagan assassination attempt.

24. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY