Poland-Switzerland round of 16 game thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2016' started by Boloni86, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #1 Boloni86, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    After Croatia-Portugal, this is my most anticipated match in the round of 16. I sense a special good karma around the Poland team right now. It won't be easy and I wouldn't be surprised to see extra time, but Poland will find a way. If Lewandowski gets a chance I think he finishes this time. If not, maybe a set piece header goal from Glik.

Out of that entire East/Central European neighborhood us Hungarians generally look to Poland and Croatia as our friends and have no problem supporting them. Especially if they play Romania, Slovakia or Serbia :D I hope to meet one of them in the semifinal.

Besides the Swiss already have the richest people in Europe, beautiful mountains and fantastic cheese. They don't need to be also spoiled by football success ... ;) But honestly I haven't really enjoyed the Switzerland team since Alexander Frei retired. When Frei got injured at Euro 2008 it was the last time I felt an emotional leadership in the Swiss team. Since then it's become more of a collection of individuals with no real cutting edge.

Lechus7 repped this.
  2. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First game of the tournament if I recall, the host nation really needed him and the injury loss was fatal.

I really liked Poland and Croatia as my dark horse picks to make some noise. No reason to stray just yet.

https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.com/2016/06/euro-2016-best-xi-group-stage-round-of.html

Hopefully the Poles deliver on a strong generation across the board.

3. FootballMental

FootballMental New Member

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Switzerland has more chances to go forward. Poland coach doesnt know how to use Lewandovski and Milik. Sw doesnt have such quality players, but good defence make there chances better. Organisation in Swtzrlnd is better, I think.

4. FootballMental

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    I think the play of Djourou and Schar will be decisive. Attack of both teams will not be gratefull. I think better flank players Lichtsteiner and Rodriguez will be a key in Swtzrlnd attack.

5. FootballMental

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The speed of game is a decisive factor. Poland has scored once, is in a very comfortable position. There pace of a game is brilliant. Swtzrlnds are too slowly in attack. There chances is not high but everything can happen.

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    wow, just wow. Goal of the tournament?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For me it is.

Solid technique.

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    tbh he had a bit much space but wow

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Poland advances!

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    apart from the 1:1 a poor game. but that was to be expected

13. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    better side lost

14. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    How? Explain rather than just state something. Poland much better in the first 45, Switzerland in the last half. Poland played for the win after scoring, then for pens after the tying goal. Where do you see the Swiss as being the better team? If it weren't for the amazing/freak, completely undefendable Swiss goal, Poland would have won due to superior defense. Just because a team attacks like a headless chicken, it doesn't make them a better team.

15. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol poland biased by chance.
    attacking teams should always get the nod, over the 120 mins Switzerland did more to win IMHO.
    Headless chicken my balls Poland kacked it and must do better this was not the side that should have beaten Germany.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As a completely neutral observer I think that neither team deserved to win and we got what I think they both deserved. (Penalties.)
    At no point in the match did I think to myself Switzerland deserved to win this match.
    It did take a crazy Golazo to tie it up and they really did not look like they were leaps and bounds ahead of Poland.

17. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Still waiting for an explanation why "the better team lost". In soccer, unlike in most other sports that are high scoring, the better team is the one that scores more goals, whether one more than the opponent or in a penalty shoot out. I really hate schooling newbs in this, but it happens all the time. I am sure you would say that Portugal was "better" than Greece, despite the Greeks winning twice in that tournament. Defensive game, no matter how ugly to the amateur soccer fan, is still a game.

Poland was much better in the first half, Switzerland in second. Neither team played well, but Poland was clinical in the shoot out, so they won fair and square as per the laws of the game. Everything else is subjective conjecture.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  18. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    switzerland were better at football in both the 2nd half and extra time imho, and lol calling me a noob stick to yer hand egg yer yank hipster.

go on write another paragraph of twoddle lol

lol the cheek of it. only an american could be so full of his own ****

LOL VIOLENTLY AT YOU.

19. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Swiss were the better side for the full 120 minutes. Poland could have easily finished this off in the first half, but didn't take their chances. As the game grew, Poland could not play past 65 minutes with no subs - the Swiss grew in confidence - got the goal and their 2 days extra rest came into play I think. Given all that - penalties was fair; glad we got through - hoping for a better overall performance next game. Saying the better team didn't go through is not accurate - and is typical of commentator and fan reaction, only looking at the most recent performance. Swiss were a really good team and we got past them, much better than I thought. Polska da boju na zawsze :)

LorneMarvello repped this.
  20. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great retort

smh...some people on here

LorneMarvello repped this.
  21. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree...
    Poland had a superior organized defense and created meaningful chances in the first half.
    second half..started off well - but perhaps due to poor fitness, grew increasingly heavy footed on the pitch...
    Swiss - traditionally well balanced - grew more tenacious after Xhaka decided to drop farther back - moonlighting as 3rd CB (Djorou problems)...had some chances (cross bar..) but it wasn't through flowing attack play..
    cold blood prevailed at the end....
    both teams didn't astound...but sometimes luck and/or pks determine progression - beauty and beast of knockout comp in football..

22. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    No doubt that Poland was better in the first half and could of ended the game right there - that is what my post implied. I think we agree but my post was misunderstood. After 60 minutes the Swiss grew into the game and read Poland's bluff - grew into the game - scored and that was it. Poland was hanging on at the end and the Swiss showed better stamina, rest, call it whatever - over the total game. Either team could have won the game at some point over 120 minutes. I am relieved Poland went through - definitely took the hard road when they could have made it easier on themselves - after the tying goal, all of sudden Poland could attack to close out the 90? seriously, it was a bad strategy to hold on to a 1 goal lead. We misfired and will be back!!!!

23. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Compared to the other games from the same day?

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't think either team was necessarily stronger. Poland's problems was down to energy especially after the 60-75 minutes. Switzerland made substitutes early that changed the game (Embolo and Derdiyok). Poland's major weakness is a little lack of depth in attack. Lewandowski, Krychowiak and Milik have played a lot of minutes already in this tournament and on a warm sunny day it showed.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no but given all these minnows in this side of the bracket.

whoever makes it to the final is in for a Brazil from the other side